SASS Wire Forum

What would you do?

Alpo

You are writing an obituary. You wish to put the college the deceased went to in the obit. The school has changed its name since the deceased went there.

Would you use the name of the school at the time she was there, or the current name?

I was just reading the obituary of a high school classmate. It said she graduated Gulf Coast State College in 1974. Gulf Coast State College did not exist until about 2015. I believe in '74 it was Gulf Coast Community College, although it could have still been Gulf Coast Junior College (that was the name of it when my father went there in '62).

Graduate of Someplace USA Teachers College (now Someplace USA University).

I've seen it dealt with several ways. Like the above.   The reverse with the current name followed by the former.  The example you gave and the opposite with the name when the person graduated. 

58 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You are writing an obituary. You wish to put the college the deceased went to in the obit. The school has changed its name since the deceased went there.

Would you use the name of the school at the time she was there, or the current name?

I was just reading the obituary of a high school classmate. It said she graduated Gulf Coast State College in 1974. Gulf Coast State College did not exist until about 2015. I believe in '74 it was Gulf Coast Community College, although it could have still been Gulf Coast Junior College (that was the name of it when my father went there in '62).

A bit of thread drift here, but my paternal grandparents home was on Beach Park Place, adjacent to the College.  Growing up I spent many a summer night sneaking into the pool and swimming.   The college bought my grandparent's home from my grandmother.  I sure wish I could get it back.

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

A bit of thread drift here, but my paternal grandparents home was on Beach Park Place, adjacent to the College.  Growing up I spent many a summer night sneaking into the pool and swimming.   The college bought my grandparent's home from my grandmother.  I sure wish I could get it back.

My college started out as Utah State Agricultural College.  My dad was a professor there, but when he retired it had been Utah State University of Agriculture and Applied Sciences  (Put THATon a letter jacker or banner) and when he retired it was from Utah Stare University.

After all that they are still called the Aggies and there is a hug lighted A atop the tower of Old Main

I went to Wilson Teachers College, which became DC Teachers College, and is now the University of DC. Was wearing a UDC sweatshirt at an annual Potomac Peddlers bike club party when a jerk DC professor-type came up to me and said: "UDC is a historically black school, why are you wearing that shirt?." I replied: "Because I went there."  He left in a huff; Duh!

use the name that she would recall , its her obit that you are writing , my grandmother graduated from a state school that changed names twice after she graduated , i still listed at as the state teachers college she graduated from 

37 minutes ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I Was wearing a UDC sweatshirt at an annual Potomac Peddlers bike club party when a jerk DC professor-type came up to me and said: "UDC is a historically black school, why are you wearing that shirt?." I replied: "Because I went there."  He left in a huff; Duh!

I think that Hank Jr. said it best, if not the most delicately, "If you mind your own business, you'll be busy all the time."

I did that last year when I wrote Hank's* obituary.  I used San Francisco State College... which it was at the time we were there; later San Francisco State University. 

*(Hank, of the King's River Regulators)

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Graduate of Someplace USA Teachers College (now Someplace USA University).

I've seen it dealt with several ways. Like the above.   The reverse with the current name followed by the former.  The example you gave and the opposite with the name when the person graduated. 

What Joe said ^^^^^

Use the name of the school that was in use when she graduated.  It’s a point in time in history.

Archived