SASS Wire Forum

Various Training Films

Subdeacon Joe

13 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maybe an SBN-1?

5695668A-AF1B-40F9-81AB-692C8203A091.jpeg

That looks like the critter.  Thanks, Bob. 

I tried five or six versions of Navy, dive bomber, training, with various other words and couldn't find it.

The SBN-1 was obsolete by 1941 so I imagine they were used as trainers.

The 250 ft tower was great fun!  And it was free. B)

18 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Vought OS2U Kingfisher without floats. 

HUE3Y7LkqFwCA4QJV70dN7fSWPnP3YbeNlXESoSV

Almost a twin of the SBN-1 that Bob posted.  Going back and looking at the landing gear, I think you have it.  The information on Wiki doesn't indicate that the Kingfisher was used as a trainer, but that almost all the SBN-1s produced were used for training.

51 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Almost a twin of the SBN-1 that Bob posted.  Going back and looking at the landing gear, I think you have it.  The information on Wiki doesn't indicate that the Kingfisher was used as a trainer, but that almost all the SBN-1s produced were used for training.

Visual cues are the shape of the vertical stabilizer and fuselage/canopy profile.

From Wikipedia: "......Additionally, the "Kingfisher", as it was designated, served as a trainer in both its seaplane and landplane configurations.[2]"

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Visual cues are the shape of the vertical stabilizer and fuselage/canopy profile.

I just couldn't stop the film to get a decent read on those.  I kept going back and forth so looked for something else and the landing gear jumped out. 

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I just couldn't stop the film to get a decent read on those.  I kept going back and forth so looked for something else and the landing gear jumped out. 

Yeah, they look really similar in motion. I was able to pause the video to get a better look.

More minutia: Since the SBN was never a float plane, it's gear was retractable, but looks fixed because of the struts. The Kingfisher was designed primarily as a catapult launched floatplane, but also had the capability for fixed landing gear to be installed.

Yup. Kingfisher. Never saw one with wheels!

The float version of the Kingfisher had a removable wheeled dolly that would be attached while it was in shallow water so it could taxi onto land.

47 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

The float version of the Kingfisher had a removable wheeled dolly that would be attached while it was in shallow water so it could taxi onto land.

Yeah I've seen that. Just never one with fixed landing gear.

Archived