SASS Wire Forum

Prayers for the SASS pards in Lake Charles

Dusty Sometimes

While in Lake Charles today, I drove over to the cowboy club & range of our sister club. Prayers for our LC cowboys and their families. 

Dusty Sometimes 

BBH Treasurer/TG

Yep, prayers up for our pards out there. I sent Possum a message, haven't heard back, course no telling when the power will return. After hurricanes Berth and Fran we didn't have running water till Thanksgiving week. Hope all are ok.

Jefro

Thank you all for your concern.  As far as I know, everyone survived the Laura.  However, it's not good.  EVERYONE had damage of some sort to their house and property.  Tress down EVERYWHERE.  We live about 150 miles north of the coast and it hit us as a cat. 4.  Winds clocked at Fort Polk airport at 154 mph.

I'm not complaining, however, as we have food, water, shelter, a good generator with plenty of fuel available, window units for A/C and plenty of love.

My local range in Lake Charles, Muskeeta Flats, did not survive the storm.  Not sure how many of you saw the pictured on FB, but it's just destroyed.  We will rebuild.

Possum

Aug 29th I went to DeRidder, La. (just North of Lake Charles) as part of the Missouri Disaster Relief Team. When I got there no water, no power, no sewer. Of course when the generator got there did not work but someone quickly got the circuit board needed. Got the tents set up and all the cooking equipment up, hooked up to the 500 gallon propane tank and ready to go. Of course no food arrived till late Tuesday morning. Got to cooking and had 500 meals by 3pm and gone by 5pm. Then we got on track and got going 1500 meals per day up to 1800. Learned that my tooth paste actually melts. Recently got home for a short break, had to be here for something on Wednesday and may be headed back Thursday for a week or two. Will see as needed. 

As a note everything was a mess. I'm a cook so not part of the chain saw crew or mud out team. I slept, or tried in that heat, with some of the chain saw guys and they told me how much of a mess everything is. But then again what do you expect with a cat 4 hurricane, 100' trees next to power lines. Even up in Leesville all their power was out. One thing that was really a blessing, the middle/high school kids handed out our meals. They knew the people and they were so grateful for us. Even had a few come up and thank us so much. 

I so wish all would help each other. We really do need each other especially in times of need. Praise God He allows me to help.

Our Missouri Disaster Relief team is really spread out right now, have crews in Iowa, and also in St. Joseph, Missouri.

Archived