SASS Wire Forum

What would you call him?

Alpo

You have a friend. He has been a friend for a long time. You call him by his first name.

He goes into politics. Gets elected to high office.

Would you still call him by his first name?

Would you call him Donald, or Mr. President? Joe or Governor? Frank or Mr. Mayor?

Depends on the office and the occasion.  A Mayor I’d keep the first name basis. For President it ought to be Mr President unless you are in a very private intimate setting, then I expect he’d appreciate hearing his name from old friends. 

Seamus 

dittos that - hes still a friend in private but an elected official in public , one caveat to this is that i believe we elect them to represent us 'we should be first in their thinking' and they are not ..NOT royalty in this country in spite of how some of them behave , 

Hee hee! I still think of my cousin as "Pat who punched me in the stomach" when he visited us in CA. I think he was about five. He's a surgeon now. I think people call him Dr. Pat. No one knows about the stomach thing.

He's a good guy now and even shoots. He's been to the range at Sparta to shoot trap or whatever it is they do there. BTW that is an impressive range. I shot CAS there in 2010. T Bone, Nuttin', Mose, and Ringo put it on.

When I'm with him, by his name (even if others are listening).  If I'm talking about him and he's not here, then most likely by his title.  In the case of the president, I might be so excited for my friend that I start calling him Mr President before he's even elected.  Of course, I am assuming that as a friend I helped with the election.  If I didn't have any ownership in it, I'd probably still call him by his name. 

Unless the friend asks to be called by the title.  Being a friend, I would probably try to use it. 

In private I'd still call him what I always called him,  in public I'd use his official title ;)

I was walking past a city park, and there was a sign. Gave the name of the park and listed the city officials.

I know the mayor. We were in high school band together. And I just got to wondering that if I bumped into him, would I need to call him Mr. Mayor, or could I call him Greg like I did 45 years ago?

I haven't seen him since high school band 45 years ago, but still, he was Greg.

12 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hee hee! I still think of my cousin as "Pat who punched me in the stomach" when he visited us in CA. I think he was about five. He's a surgeon now. I think people call him Dr. Pat. No one knows about the stomach thing.

He's a good guy now and even shoots. He's been to the range at Sparta to shoot trap or whatever it is they do there. BTW that is an impressive range. I shot CAS there in 2010. T Bone, Nuttin', Mose, and Ringo put it on.

Ms. Allie,

Unfortunately a lot more people know about it now! :o:P

Archived