SASS Wire Forum

Coast Guard opens fire on fish swimming in water ...

Patagonia Pete

Isn’t that an M1 Unicorn, inflatable, marine use?  
By the way, it’s a big week for inflatable unicorns.  Just read an article with video about a ferry in Greece that rescued a four year old girl who was adrift on one miles from the beach she started out on. I never realized their ubiquity let alone their military applications!

Seamus 

They didn’t “open fire” on the shark. They fired to deter the shark and steer it away from the swimmers. Had they killed the shark you’d have never heard about it. But then again, in today’s dumbassery ya never know. 

Our Captain would never allow swim call. It was called once in the IO (Indian Ocean). The Command Duty Officer that called it was soundly dressed down by the Captain on the bridge and that was it. No swim call. It was 120 degrees that day. A bit warm. 

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They didn’t “open fire” on the shark. They fired to deter the shark and steer it away from the swimmers. Had they killed the shark you’d have never heard about it. But then again, in today’s dumbassery ya never know. 

Our Captain would never allow swim call. It was called once in the IO (Indian Ocean). The Command Duty Officer that called it was soundly dressed down by the Captain on the bridge and that was it. No swim call. It was 120 degrees that day. A bit warm. 

I was wondering how the shark was unscathed if they were shooting at it.  And I think it was you who told us about being in a rescue boat with a gun on shark duty.  Whoever it was said the idea was to shoot into the water to distract the shark or something. 

Watched the video and a couple of those bursts were pretty scary being that the shark was between the shooter and the swimmers. 

50 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I was wondering how the shark was unscathed if they were shooting at it.  And I think it was you who told us about being in a rescue boat with a gun on shark duty.  Whoever it was said the idea was to shoot into the water to distract the shark or something. 

Watched the video and a couple of those bursts were pretty scary being that the shark was between the shooter and the swimmers. 

Yes, you shoot into the water to try and divert the shark’s attention to the shots. We were instructed to shoot away from the swimmers behind the shark first to see if it would turn and swim to the bullet impacts. 

Did you notice the swimmers trying to keep from thrashing as they swam? Toward the end of the video when there were less people in the water the last two guys swam a bit harder but I think that I heard the shark had moved away. 

The thing that brought back some memories for me of our ship’s divers in the water retrieving drone targets. Me trying desperately to see into the murky green water looking for sharks from the point of view from the motor whale boat. It’s hard enough to see them from above on the deck of a ship let alone from a boat near the water’s surface. 

Archived