SASS Wire Forum

I AM A BIT SKEPTICAL

I know most of the posters here in the Saloon are traditionalist  when it comes to shooting irons. 

But I also know a good many will, on occasion, use something more modern, like an AR or AK or 

whatever.  Also, reading through my recent American Rifleman   magazine it appears that most

of the long arms are now linked to the AR platform. 

I also noticed that same trend has appeared on my TV set.  

So yesterday I was looking at a show featuring Hornady's  newest cartridge offering, the 6mm ARC.

According to them, this thing will do everything out to 1200 yards, wash your car and take out the trash. 

Pardon me if I am a tad skeptical.  And it is an ugly Duck to boot. 

I was told that the 5.56 Nato was all you needed for accuracy. Then somebody starting fooling with 

Wildcat 6mm rounds and .308 rounds for the AR platform. Now this. 

Any thoughts on this?

Thoughts?  On a Friday afternoon?  That be a stretch for me. 

But it for me, I kinda like checking out all the flavors they’re coming up with for the AR platform. Some impressive designs for sure. 

I don’t have to want one of everything to admire and respect the design that went into it. 

I don't care what caliber but the more ARs on the planet the better.:D

43 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: The original AR15 platform was chambered in .308.  Unfortunately, then came along the M16.

Chas B:(

The original AR platform was the AR-10.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I know most of the posters here in the Saloon are traditionalist  when it comes to shooting irons. 

But I also know a good many will, on occasion, use something more modern, like an AR or AK or 

whatever.  Also, reading through my recent American Rifleman   magazine it appears that most

So yesterday I was looking at a show featuring Hornady's  newest cartridge offering, the 6mm ARC.

According to them, this thing will do everything out to 1200 yards, wash your car and take out the trash. 

I was told that the 5.56 Nato was all you needed for accuracy. Then somebody starting fooling with 

Any thoughts on this?

The AR-15 & AR-10 are very modular platforms.  Pull 2 pins and you can swap out one upper for another upper in a different configuration or caliber. Here is a list of calibers for both platforms:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges

There are LOTS of accessories and aftermarket stuff, more for the AR-15 then the AR-10, but plenty for both.  The AR-15 platform is ergonomic and properly set up, pretty accurate as well.  

As to the new calibers, this has happened before and will happen again.  Many of these calibers will be niche calibers in five years if they are still around, however the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be a very good cartridge.  Better ballistics at long distance then the .308, more accurate and with less recoil.

With just one lower receiver, which is legally the firearm, you can buy as many uppers as you want ranging from the inexpensive .22 LR for plinking to three different rounds that closely match the 45-70 in performance.

And yes they are ugly, but they work

Every new round is the be all  and  end all of  ammunition. Just ask those that sell it and those that supply guns to shoot it.

Everywhere someone has to justify their job. Then comes the  6mm ARC.

By governmental pronouncement (an order of the Attorney General, with no legislative action or popular vote), it is illegal to buy or sell any AR, AK or similarly designed firearm (other than .22 versions) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

See?  Government is Good!  It simplifies your life!  No lost sleep pondering superior ballistics of various calibers!  No money poorly spent on endless accessories!  

I pity you guys, and your endless wandering through the pages of gun mags and LGS aisles, searching for the perfect new AR variant!  Government has saved us from that, and relieved us from such concerns!

Don't you wish you lived in MA???

LL

3 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

By governmental pronouncement (an order of the Attorney General, with no legislative action or popular vote), it is illegal to buy or sell any AR, AK or similarly designed firearm (other than .22 versions) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

See?  Government is Good!  It simplifies your life!  No lost sleep pondering superior ballistics of various calibers!  No money poorly spent on endless accessories!  

I pity you guys, and your endless wandering through the pages of gun mags and LGS aisles, searching for the perfect new AR variant!  Government has saved us from that, and relieved us from such concerns!

Don't you wish you lived in MA???

LL

Here in CA we have a similar situation with our government.

They are so helpful. In fact, they are getting ready to reduce the stress of picking a handgun even more by reducing the numbers we have to choose from.

Such a nice bunch of folks. Always looking out for us to ensure we live happy stress free lives. 

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Any thoughts on this?

I can't see out to 1200 yards anyway but if it'll wash my car and take out the trash, I'll take it.

Right now  there is a government minion reviewing this and rushing to show their boss so they can show that gun owners do approve of what they are doing...Grrrr

The search for the ultimate firearm and the round it shoots has been going on since the Chinese started blasting stoned out of hollow logs.

It will continue until something works better than a barrel, cartridge, and firing pin.

Like a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range.

But it needs to be affordable to the common man.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The search for the ultimate firearm and the round it shoots has been going on since the Chinese started blasting stoned out of hollow logs.

It will continue until something works better than a barrel, cartridge, and firing pin.

..... and the battery pak needs to be managable ......... by the shooter(on his/her own)

;)

The majority of shooters, some competitors and some just owners, could not hit a coffee can at 200 yards.  Any average quality gun and ammo will still be better than their skills.

"A lot of stuff being made just because it can be.  " ...........and because there is someone that will buy it , im good with my cowboy stuff , 556/308/9mm/45acp/38spcl/38S&W and a few commonwealth rounds for what i collected , 

.22lr, .38, .357, .45 acp, 44-40, 30-06, .303, 7.62x38r, 7.62x 39, 7.62x54r, 32 SW, 45 Colt, 5.56, .223, 9mm. 
I think that’s all I got. :D

.22 lr; 44 Mag/44 Sp; .44-40; 45 Colt; .38 Sp +; 45ACP.

All Virtual of course.   

I wanted a M 29 but mom wouldn't go for it and

besides the baseplate plays hob with the lawn. 

I'm finished here. 

ED: Forgot 2 30-06s. Ok so I lied. 

i have more 22s than anything else now after divesting both my US military and commonwealth collections , think i need more ammo now that the grandkids are thinking to shoot 

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Build Skynet so we can capture some machine weapons and reverse engineer them already.

I have “occasionally” visited Kittery Trading Post, locally known as “The Post” which has a huge inventory of new and used firearms.  There are a very few things they won’t take in trade, as far as I know air guns, .40s, and butt ugly guns, mostly because they are too hard to resell or they have so many they can’t sell new guns.. People buy a .40, shoot, decide the ammo is too expensive and trade it.

i can’t believe a 6mm would gain market acceptance.

I wish I could figure out why I dislike ARs so much.  At first I thought it was because of the plastic.  But I have plastic guns that I like, and I've seen wood furniture for ARs that doesn't help.  Then I thought it was the pistol grip.  Until I got an AK.  Then I thought well, maybe it just can't have both plastic and a pistol grip, but then I remembered I have a couple of PCCs that have both. 

I can't even say it's because they're ugly anymore.  Just can't put my finger on it, but it's more of a chore to shoot my ARs than any other gun I own. 

On 8/28/2020 at 10:39 AM, Chantry said:

The AR-15 & AR-10 are very modular platforms.  Pull 2 pins and you can swap out one upper for another upper in a different configuration or caliber. Here is a list of calibers for both platforms:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges

There are LOTS of accessories and aftermarket stuff, more for the AR-15 then the AR-10, but plenty for both.  The AR-15 platform is ergonomic and properly set up, pretty accurate as well.  

As to the new calibers, this has happened before and will happen again.  Many of these calibers will be niche calibers in five years if they are still around, however the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be a very good cartridge.  Better ballistics at long distance then the .308, more accurate and with less recoil.

With just one lower receiver, which is legally the firearm, you can buy as many uppers as you want ranging from the inexpensive .22 LR for plinking to three different rounds that closely match the 45-70 in performance.

And yes they are ugly, but they work

Actually the ATF has defined the lower as the firearm per the NFA.  Several Federal judges have disagreed; because, the AR lower doesn't have all the features the NFA defines as a firearm.  There is the case of the machine shop in CA that rented out their machine tools for customers to finish 80% lowers & ARES.  The ATF chose to not appeal the cases; because, they know their regulation that the part of a firearm that only contains the fire control group is a firearm per the NFA is dubious.   Only Congress can change the definition with the POTUS's signature.  They have the same problem with the bump stock rule.  So far the judges that have reviewed lawsuits challenging the regulation haven't been rule of law adherents.

The new guns and new calibers are created because people already have all of the bolt action 30-06s and lever action 30-30s that they want. 

The new calibers and new platforms are doing an excellent job of what they were designed for:  sell new guns.

Duffield

After breaking my neck and back years ago, I gave up my heavier recoiling long guns except for very limited use. Wasn't ever a real fan of the AR until I built one basically to annoy some liberals. Then discovered what a nice handling little gun it is. I would be very interested in trying out a 6mm ARC for the heavier bullets. I hope it turns out to be a success as it would make a nice deer or hog rifle.

Archived