SASS Wire Forum

Youth guns for 10 year old

I’m trying to get my son set up to shoot.  I have a set of Bearcats but was wondering what people are doing for rifle and especially shotgun?  I’ve seen the Henry youth models and they seem like a good option.  Any experience with them?  What about a shotgun?  Are there any youth models worth looking at?  If not, what is the best option for a full size shotgun to have cut down?

I have had him hold my vaqueros and my marlin carbine but they are both a bit heavy for him to safely shoot while he is learning the ropes of gun handling.  It’s not the recoil I’m concerned with, just the size and weight of the guns.  There is also a younger brother coming along, so I’ll get plenty of use out of a set of smaller guns before jumping to .38s.  

Thanks for the help!

I have been practicing with my soon to be 10 year old grandson. .22 single action Heritage pistol, Henry Youth model .22 lever action rifle, and a 20 ga. single barrel youth shotgun so it's not so heavy for him. He's been doing fine with them.

The Henry Youth Model standard is one heck of a nice rifle.   Lots of our little folks use them........ And a lot of our bigger folks

buy them also for theyowndangselfs cause they are fun.

..........Widder

Widder knows what he's talking about, For Sure !!

The little Henry .22 Lever is Great for a Kid and also Great Fun for us Big Kids!

Especially if it has a Widder/Matic Soft/Short Stroke fitted to it.... I love shooting mine!

There are tons of really good older Single Shot break open shotguns out there you can pick up.

Every Pawn Shop I've ever been in that sells guns has several... And they're Cheap!

Buy one in a gauge that you can easily get Low Recoil shells in...

Chop the Barrel and Stock off and he'll be Good to Go!

2 hours ago, Noah Comprende, SASS #71911 said:

I’m trying to get my son set up to shoot.  I have a set of Bearcats but was wondering what people are doing for rifle and especially shotgun?  I’ve seen the Henry youth models and they seem like a good option.  Any experience with them?  What about a shotgun?  Are there any youth models worth looking at?  If not, what is the best option for a full size shotgun to have cut down?

I have had him hold my vaqueros and my marlin carbine but they are both a bit heavy for him to safely shoot while he is learning the ropes of gun handling.  It’s not the recoil I’m concerned with, just the size and weight of the guns.  There is also a younger brother coming along, so I’ll get plenty of use out of a set of smaller guns before jumping to .38s.  

Thanks for the help!

I have a H&R Topper in 12 Ga. that my grandson used when he started shooting when he was 9.  It's a single shot, but has ejector which make it nice for kids, they don't have to shuck empties. And 12 ga can be loaded very light for kids.  My grandson thought my 12 ga. loads were more fun to shoot than the .410 he tried. I refinished the stock, cut it down a bit and added a Kick-Ezz recoil pad.  Also had a lighter spring installed so that the lever you press to open gun is easier.  The barrel is 27.5 inches, but could be cut down if necessary and length of pull is 12.5 inches.  If you are interested it's for sale.

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The Henry Youth Model standard is one heck of a nice rifle.   Lots of our little folks use them........ And a lot of our bigger folks

buy them also for theyowndangselfs cause they are fun.

..........Widder

I'm one that purchased one for my Grandson and was told he was too young. 5 at the time 6 now. So Grandpa and his daddy is going to break it in. It's a great gun.

Noah if your coming to gunsmoke I have a short stroked youth model henry that he can try.   I also have a pair of p Jrs he can try.

Noah,

I bought my grandson two Heritage Rough Riders, a Henry Youth Model, and a Stoeger .410 double.

He likes my match guns better.

All the gear I bought for him is really fun to shoot, and I'm  hoping our club will have a rim fire shoot for the older crowd.

Choctaw

Noah,

For rifle, ya can't go wrong with the Henry Youth. Outta the box, it's a great little rifle.

For SG, my daughter started with some downloaded .410s in a H&R single, then moved to a light-loaded 12 ga Stoeger.

She used some Heritage Rough Riders I slicked up, but I think the Bearcats are great.

Ruger also just brought out their Wranglers, nice little revolver.

13 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Noah,

I bought my grandson two Heritage Rough Riders, a Henry Youth Model, and a Stoeger .410 double.

He likes my match guns better.

All the gear I bought for him is really fun to shoot, and I'm  hoping our club will have a rim fire shoot for the older crowd.

Choctaw

Ditto except the Stoeger I bought is a 20 ga youth. We have a couple of local CAS clubs that have a .22 Rimfire class for us older folks. A pair of .22 single action pistols, a .22 pump or lever action rifle, and your regular SASS shotgun get you into the class. I shoot it maybe twice a year for something different.

This ^^ Unless you can find a pair of Single Six .32's. They will be good for years. Can go up to a 115 gr bullet & down to a 78 gr. My 15 yo granddaughter still uses hers after 5 years of shooting. Won her 6 state category titles & 1 Winter Range (in her category).

My 10 and 9 year old Granddaughters are shooting a Henry and starting to do it very well.

I started them with Bearcats, but switched to the new Ruger Wranglers once they became available. They shoot them better than they did the Bearcats.

I cut down a SKB 12ga to fit and loaded 9 grains of Unique with a 3/4 oz load. They love it and actually knock down most targets.

Johnny Meadows

Archived