SASS Wire Forum

45 acp powder ?

Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

Looking for suggestions for reloading the 45 acp for sass wild bunch. I like to shoot a 230 cast bullet. Presently have been using 231 bit it is so dirty that it is causing issues with the operation of the gun at times. I do have some solo 1000 and American select to try. Would like a suggestion for a clean burning soft recoil load if possible. Thanks in advance

Many years ago I tried to find the best powder for low velocity .45 rounds. I came to the conclusion that low power loads just weren't as clean burning as hotter loads, no matter what powder I used. There are many new powders out since then but I suspect it is still true. I think the higher pressure causes a more complete burn.

20 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

You'll find a lot of great information over on the WB wire that PWB linked, but 4.0gn of WST works great for a lot of us........ with 230gn hi-tek coated bullets.

This is the exact load I now use, works very good.

Bullseye was developed for the 45ACP. 

It’s cheap, meters well, available, and it works! 

Hey Marshall,  Was good to see you at Return to Aqua Verde.   Following the herd, I recently switched to WST   4.1 with a 225 TC but was using 4.7 under H&G 200    GW

I use Clays. Reason, it can be used for 12ga, 357, 38 along with the 45. One powder covers it all and clean burning.

I just shot the NM State WB match using Sport Pistol.  It was much cleaner burning than my W231 loads.  However, many of the top shooters chose WST.  I've used American Select in 45 ACP before.  It burned clean but did not meter as reliably as finer-grained powders so I quit using it for that cartridge.

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WW231, 5.5gn.

200-230gn lead bullet. 

OLG

No Unique? 

I use WST because it burns about as clean as any of the pistol powders.  It's the most accurate target pistol powder I have found. It works in all my cowboy and wild bunch cartridges, including making absolutely great shotshells.  And it meters VERY accurately. 

A load that WILL ALWAYS make power factor with ease for your 230 grain cast bullet is 4.3 grains of WST in your .45 AUTO case.  It you ever find one labeled ".45 ACP", you can just about bet it came from Europe.

Good luck, GJ

I use 3.6 gr. of Clays with a 235 gr. Desperado Cowboy bullet and Federal magnum primers.

Won a WB Traditional World Championship a few years ago with it so it must work pretty good.

Marshal Stone

Try 7.3 grains of Accurate #5, runs well for me.

I have a book that I got written by Bill Wilson from Wilson Combat. His favorite for over 20 years is 5g of Bullseye, 200g H&G swc, OAL 1.25", taper crimp .469". I use 3.8-4g which meets the 150 power factor. If it's good enough for Bill it's hood enough for me. No need to reinvent. Hope that this helps.

I have used 4 gr. Bullseye since 1982 with LYMAN 200 gr. semi wadcutter.  In Ransom Rest it still shoots less than 2" at 25 yds.  Barely reaches 150 PF.  Weapon,  partially accurized (SP) GI 1911.

23 hours ago, Smoken D said:

I use Clays. Reason, it can be used for 12ga, 357, 38 along with the 45. One powder covers it all and clean burning.

Red Dot for the same reason.   Add 45C & 44 Mag. to that list.

The only other pistol powder I use is HP38 for the .38 S&W, and only because the load is one grain.

To be more specific...

I use 3.5 grains of Trailboss behind a .451" 230 grain round nose bullet.   Basically a jacketless ball bullet.  I use everything from GI surplus brass from 1918 to modern made Winchester and Federal stuff.  Standard Winchester Large Pistol primers.   Recoil is less than will "full power" ball ammo.

I have found that this works very well in my my 1913 made 1911.  In fact, I shot EoT with this ammo and gun, in 2013 to celebrate the guns 100th birthday.   It also works just fine in my 1943 vintage Remington Rand, my WWI replica Colt, my father's series 70 and his Argentinian 1911A1.  I shoots very well with my 1917 revolvers, Colt and Smith and Wesson, as well as my "shaved" Webleys.  It also works pretty flawlessly in my Thompsons.   I think it's a pretty good loading.

Cleanup is not a problem.   A couple of patches of Hoppes Number  9 and the pistols are clear.   A couple more for the long guns.

Bullseye is the way to go. I have happily used it for 70 years.  :D

I started using Win 244. It is designed for pistol use and is supposed to be cleaner burning and made for coated lead bullets. So far it’s holding up to its promotion.

I used the classic 4.5 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain Hensley & Gibbs SWC bullet when I started WB, but had feeding/jamming problems in all four 1911's I shoot. It works for most people, and considering I had problems in four different guns, I'm inclined to think I'm the problem.

Two years ago, I switched to 4.0 grains of WST and a 230 grain HSM or SNS bullet, and haven't had a problem since. AND felt recoil is less... go figure.

I like WST but many others work well. I load a 200gr hitek coated swc with 4.9 gr to make major pf, not for wild bunch. I was just looking for an ice chest in our workshop and found an 8 pound jug of WST. I knew I had powder out there but wasn't sure of exactly which brands.

I haven't loaded .45 acp for a while but I used Tite-Group which I use for .38's and .357's also!

Archived