SASS Wire Forum

Today's question - exchange students

Alpo

Paying.

Jean Paul comes over here from Paris and stays with me for a year while he goes to the local high school.

I neither know nor care how he gets here. Whether he pays for it, or some big French company pays for it as a tax break, or what. That's irrelevant. He's here.

Having another person living in my house will increase my food bill and my electric bill and my water bill. Does anyone pay me for this? Like the foster parent program, where the state pays me for supporting this kid? Does the kid pay rent?

Or do I just suck it up and pay for it myself?

When my sister and I were in high school we hosted a girl from Denmark for a year. We had a wonderful experience with her and have stayed in touch almost 40 years later. 

Yes, we received a small stipend for food and such. It in no way covered the cost, but we were having too much fun to care. 

It’s an exchange student program.  Just trade your kid for one of theirs on a foggy night at the bridge wearing trench coats.

8 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

It’s an exchange student program.  Just trade your kid for one of theirs on a foggy night at the bridge wearing trench coats.

Could you negotiate? 
Like maybe exchange for a motorcycle instead of another kid?

you did not have to accept this - unlike the worth;less spawn of your loins that might live in your basement on his computer till he is in his 60s waiting for you to die to inherit the paid for house - yes i know of one  ,

this was something you signed up for , not exactly the same but i had a young olympics contender here for the summer once , we chose this and agreed to the costs etc , i get that it changes the dynamics of your household for a year , enjoy and embrace it , when you retire you will find much the same turmoil with no light at the end of the tunnel - so to speak - the alternative is rather dark , 

On 8/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, South-Eye Ned said:

7 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Gotta be sure you gits the right kid back??

Best

CR

If I get a better kid out of the deal do I have to take mine back??? :ph34r:

Archived