SASS Wire Forum

Dave Warther's Resin-Ivory™ Imitation ivory blanks for SAA revolver gun grips

Pee Wee #15785

Anyone have grips made from Resin-Ivory?      https://guitarpartsandmore.com/productCategory.php?Resin-Ivory-trade-SAA-Revolver-Grip-Panels-116    How do you like them?  Did you buy from a grip maker or make your own.  Does the resin-ivory come close to the look and feel of real ivory?

I bought 4 panels of the +S a few weeks back but have done nothing with it yet. My gun plumber (he refuses the gunsmith moniker) is versed in grip making and agreed to mentor me somewhat through the process. I am not very knowlegable when it comes to real ivory but he says it is the best "replica" he has seen.

From the above website: scroll down to the second picture that has grips outlined on the panels. Click on the picture. That will take you to images of guns that have grips made of this material. I believe those guns to belong to cowboy shootist Tame Bill from images I saw on another website.

The grips in the pictures appear much whiter than either the panels from the website or the the ones that I have. The white may be bright photo lighting.

I am not a gripmaker but it is something I have wanted to try on a very limited basis. I have made up several slabs of urethane resin to practice with. I expect a long process.

I know this is not a definitive answer but hopefully is of some help. If you do decide to order you may want to first call the company and check on their return policy.

YMMV

Long Gulch

Hello Pee Wee.  I made two pair of grips from +S for Uberti Model P Jr.'s.   There is a pronounced grain pattern, which is nice, but it is so uniform it really does not look like real ivory.  Also, the grips are whiter than I would like.  I tried contacting the maker to see if there was a way to age them to a more yellow tint.  Got no reply.   The resin ivory grips are OK,  However, IMO, Tru Ivory Ultra Antique are the best looking imitation ivory grips - if we are talking about synthetic materials.  I've made quite a few grips from American Holly Wood.  I think those look great and they just get better looking as they age.

TR

https://www.masecraftsupply.com/Alternative-Ivory-col849TM_c_268.html    I made these grips from imitation ivory I bought from Macecraft. 

3D6E369B-9395-44F1-B12F-B697356C2D8C.jpeg

Archived