SASS Wire Forum

Polly ticks ??

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Perhaps the mediators can consider freezing or deleting some of the

posts that are getting political?

I know polly ticks are everywhere but I think the saloon could avoid 

that topic.

Im sure it is real hard to know where to draw the line.

So Im not pointing at any particular posts.

I have decided to try to NOT get political.....I know I get close.

In a few weeks maybe things will calm down a bit.

and maybe I shouldnt have posted this.....

I guess time will tell.

Best

CR

Here's an idea.  If you don't like the subject of a post, DON'T READ IT!

Instead, you'd rather control everyone else's activities to make sure the world doesn't upset you.  I fart in your general direction.

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

Instead, you'd rather control everyone else's activities to make sure the world doesn't upset you.  I fart in your general direction.

Maybe you should read the Guidelines. There should be no political posts on this forum.

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/UserTerms.pdf

Many years ago they had another forum here. The political wire. And people could go there to discuss politics, and leave politics out of the Saloon (ACS) and  the main wire.

It seemed to be a good idea, but as always when people started discussing politics, they ended up arguing politics. And it got nasty. And it got abusive. And the cussing was massive.

And then one day the political wire was gone. And the moderators said there would be no more political discussions on the SASSwire forums. None. El Zippo.

But people still continued to make political posts. And the moderators deleted them as they were found. And when some people could not understand that politics were no longer allowed on this wire, they were deleted. It was really quite simple. "Obey the rules or we will kick your ass out of here."

But now we have new people. And we have new moderators. And the new people don't give a damn. "It's my right of free speech to talk politics anywhere I want to."

But like Allie said up above, political posts are not allowed.

If you want to discuss politics, have at it. The internet is full of places you can go to discuss politics. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

When you have got the politics crap out of your system, come on back.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Many years ago they had another forum here. The political wire. And people could go there to discuss politics, and leave politics out of the Saloon (ACS) and  the main wire.

It seemed to be a good idea, but as always when people started discussing politics, they ended up arguing politics. And it got nasty. And it got abusive. And the cussing was massive.

And then one day the political wire was gone. And the moderators said there would be no more political discussions on the SASSwire forums. None. El Zippo.

But people still continued to make political posts. And the moderators deleted them as they were found. And when some people could not understand that politics were no longer allowed on this wire, they were deleted. It was really quite simple. "Obey the rules or we will kick your ass out of here."

But now we have new people. And we have new moderators. And the new people don't give a damn. "It's my right of free speech to talk politics anywhere I want to."

But like Allie said up above, political posts are not allowed.

If you want to discuss politics, have at it. The internet is full of places you can go to discuss politics. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

When you have got the politics crap out of your system, come on back.

Yup. The Political Fire got totally insane. And as you say there are plenty of places to argue politics. I come here for fun!

2 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Nope. Allie is correct. If you had been around here longer you’d understand.

10 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

This is a saloon so why censor it. If you don’t like a thread just scroll on by

It’s not censorship. It’s a private website.

If anybody starts talking smack in my private living room, I show em the door. 

I think part of the problem is that today virtually everything is ever more political - support for police, sports, personal pronouns, history, etc...... this seems to be because of things like social justice and climate change have made the words people choose, history, what car they drive, how they heat their home, what they choose to eat (meat/vegan/processed food/dairy/etc...) all choices with "political" implications or part of "political" statements in society at large. And though the SASS website is it's own special place and group, the reverberations of the culture will bleed over at some level into the forums. Also some poltics seems generally accepted as in regards to the 2nd Amendment and gun rights. Whilst out and out party politics and electioneering is pretty clearly out of line. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

And then one day the political wire was gone.

There was one other than Team SASS?  I thought that was our political forum. 

So where should the line be drawn?  Surely we can we post about and comment on the news as long as we're not calling each other names?  The riots are political only insomuch as everything these days is political.  There are other places to talk politics on the internet, but I have no other place with so many cops and the stuff that's been happening lately, I kinda want the LEO take on it. 

That last paragraph wasn't addressed just to Alpo

Not everything is political these days. But some people have become obsessed with politics. I have friends who turn virtually every conversation political within a few minutes. Everything boils down to a Liberal vs Conservative argument. Everything. You can start a thread about almost any subject and someone will have to interject a comment on Trump, Biden, DNC, RNC, government conspiracies, and the imminent collapse of the United States.
I’m becoming more of a hermit these days and not due to the pandemic. I need to stop and smell the coffee, and bourbon.

:angry:

14 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

In a few weeks maybe things will calm down a bit.

Unfortunately I don't think things will calm down in this country for quite some time.

The political posts here usually remain polite despite differing viewpoints.  Elsewhere on the internet where opposing viewpoints collide it gets very unpleasant.

In many, many respects the internet is a wonderful thing filled with all sorts of interesting things and ideas.  The downside is that the internet allows fringe elements on both sides to spread their hate across the country and even around the world and now opposing viewpoints push people farther and farther apart.

I have been a violator of the no politics rule.  I’m happy to stop.  If there have been people of opposing views that have kept quiet, I commend your ability to follow the rules.  My apologies!

12 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It’s not censorship. It’s a private website.

If anybody starts talking smack in my private living room, I show em the door. 

Somehow I don’t think that your living room is a saloon

2 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Yeah, where are the spittoons?

On 8/28/2020 at 9:44 AM, Henry T Harrison said:

Some might argue that occasionally it is. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Some might argue that occasionally that it is. :lol:

Most saloons don’t serve the variety or quality of alcohol that you do

3 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Most saloons don’t serve the variety or quality of alcohol that you do

True dat. Not to mention the ambiance. :P

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I went into that Political Fire once, just the once...........

........ the therapy is helping ......... mostly  ...   :mellow:

You a funny man, Wallaby.  :lol:

Howdy,

Maybe we should go the other way.

Open up the Political Fire again.

It might give new folks a taste of how mean it can be.

When the internet was verynew a school had an anonymoose web site.

Students could post what ever they wanted.

WOW.

That quietly disappeared one night.

People lost JOBS over that one.

Political stuff is soaking right into us. Take a deep breath and think about it.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Gathering at UB’s tonight. 

:D

B022125C-46D5-4FE7-8480-AB88DD0E5DBD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:59 PM, Dusty Boots said:

Well I am voting straight Whig Party, and we won’t be silenced.

So I  can't endorse Alfred E. Newman for Czar? :rolleyes:  If the election doesn't go the way I want, I am NOT leaving for Canada, Australia or Antarctica!  No, I'll try to book passage on one of Elon Musk's Starships to the Moon or Mars! :P

Stay well, Pards!

Sometimes in a SALOON, people can't help what they're saying...

or knowing whether they are following the rules. :blink:

image.png.c9d10000878149c76dae83fb5403a292.png

Archived