SASS Wire Forum

Whats a weapon

twelve mile REB

10 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

Guns are tools - until they become weapons.

Some thoughts:

If someone shows you two SAAs can you tell which one is the tool and which one the weapon (because once ore more used as such)?

Can you buy a tooth brush? Wouldn't it become one by the first time brushing teeth? 

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

None of my guns are inherently weapons.  They are target punchers which can be used as weapons.

Only three have been used to harvest game and only has been used to shoot a human.  That was all back about 1964 and they have returned to being target punchers.

Well, how long does it take for a weapon to become a target puncher again?

Do some come with a magic reset button?

Almost everything can be used as a weapon and weapons can be used as other things (call it tools), but they remain what they are.

I wouldn't call every today's firearm a weapon, but the models we're using in our game were designed for the battle field.

Equanimous 

P.S.: It seems absolutely legit to me to ask people here to use a euphemism instead of the term weapon for peace sake, but not by saying it ain't weapons. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

bull.  None of my guns are inherently weapons.  hey are target punchers which can be used as weapons.

Only three have been used to harvest game and only has been used to shoot a human.  That was all back about 1964 and they have returned to being target punchers.

Those target punchers will work on any target, paper flesh or otherwise. IMO They're still a weapon.

46 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

A screwdriver is a tool- until you stick it into somebody.

A gun is just a gun- until the user decides to use it as a weapon.

I understand what you’re saying but my point is a screwdriver for instance was designed to turn a screw, a gun was designed as a weapon period!

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I understand what you’re saying but my point is a screwdriver for instance was designed to turn a screw, a gun was designed as a weapon period!

Some folks logic is fascinating.

A gun is designed to send a projectile out of a barrel. Nothing more, nothing less. What one points that barrel at will define the usage of that gun.

Is a Volquartsen Black Mamba a "weapon" it a target pistol?

Phantom

18 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

A gun is designed to send a projectile out of a barrel. Nothing more, nothing less. What one points that barrel at will define the usage of that gun.Can be but isn’t necessarily

Phantom

Yes. Perhaps the initial purpose of firearms design was in fact as a weapon. But that was centuries ago. Now a firearm Can be a weapon, just as a tool can be a screwdriver. But a tool can also be a hammer, drill, shovel etc. or a weapon.

If the user Intends to employ it as a weapon, it becomes a weapon. I certainly don’t intend to use any of my cowboy guns as weapons.

9 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Some thoughts:

If someone shows you two SAAs can you tell which one is the tool and which one the weapon (because once ore more used as such)?

I can...

They are BOTH tools.

...until the wielder employs one of them as a weapons.

The semantics are always at the discretion of the owner.

ALL of my guns are tools.

Some tools are for targets - some tools are for critters - some tools are for pests.

"Weapon" is just a preferential term for the tool you use against pests.

10 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Some thoughts:

Can you buy a tooth brush? Wouldn't it become one by the first time brushing teeth? 

Well, how long does it take for a weapon to become a target puncher again?

Do some come with a magic reset button?

Almost everything can be used as a weapon and weapons can be used as other things (call it tools), but they remain what they are.

I wouldn't call every today's firearm a weapon, but the models we're using in our game were designed for the battle field.

Equanimous 

P.S.: It seems absolutely legit to me to ask people here to use a euphemism instead of the term weapon for peace sake, but not by saying it ain't weapons. 

I probably have two dozen "tooth brushes" which have never been near a tooth.  I use them to clean other things, such as my paper punchers.

My weapons stopped being weapons as soon as I stopped using them as such.

Are all flintlock rifle weapons?  Most were made for hunting and were never used in anger although they could have been.

Is an Olympic target rifle a weapon?  It is chambered for a .22 short and it was designed for punching targets that were never alive.  As a weapon it is about as useless as tits on a hen.

I dislike calling any gun a weapon because it gives the anti-gunners one more "weapon" to use against us in their political attacks.  I do have three guns which are designated as weapons and will be used as such if the occasion occurs.  The rest are sporting equipment just like a fencer's epee (another "weapon"), a javelin ("weapon"), skis (military transport equipment - "weapons" again), or any number of other items....and may I point out that so many of out favorite sports were originally  combat-oriented?

We're s****ing ourselves by using the term "WEAPON" for our sporting equipment.

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you were at a Cowboy Action Shooting match and shooting at targets your firearms are just that, firearms. They could also be called guns or small arms and they could be referred to by their designations of rifle, shotgun, pistol (revolver).

But if the police show up while you are shooting and they want you to put your guns down more than likely you will hear the words “Put the weapon down and put your hands on your head” or something similar. 
So, a gun that is not a possible threat is a gun, small arm, firearm, etc...

If it may be or is a possible threat it is a weapon. 

There. 

So you're saying a cop is the authority on the English language?  Bull!

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No, I am saying a cop will probably call it a  "weapon".

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

A gun is designed to send a projectile out of a barrel. Nothing more, nothing less. What one points that barrel at will define the usage of that gun.

Phantom

Yea I get it , some people’s logic is fascinating! 

17 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yes. Yes I am :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Calling a burro a horse doesn't make it a horse.  I have heard Camaros called sports cars, too.  Doesn't make it so.

If a cop points a pistol at you and says "drop the weapon" and you are holding a revolver are you going to argue with him over semantics?

I don't think so.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

a pair of Chanel locks or adjustable jaw pliers

Around here they are water pump pliers.

I never heard of channel locks until I was in my thirties.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Never heard of water pump pliers ever.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Calling a burro a horse doesn't make it a horse.  I have heard Camaros called sports cars, too.  Doesn't make it so.

I have never been called an entire horse. ;)

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Looks like there’s a difference between channel locks and water pump pliers.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Same as a crescent wrench or Kleenex , a brand name . I’ve also been told the proper name for a nut driver is a spin tight . I guess as long as the person your dealing with knows what your after “all’s good” 

43 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Looks like there’s a difference between channel locks and water pump pliers.

Some guys also called channel locks “dogs” . When I first got hired into the chemical plant I thought some guys were on a mission to round off every nut and bolt they could . Sometimes you had to use them be the painters lay it on so thick you couldn’t get a wrench to fit anymore 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have never been called an entire horse. ;)

But, believing in reincarnation as I do, I'm fairly certain you were part of one a (maybe several ) in a former life.

Seems I recall you traveling with one of the herds I was in.

to the OP , i think it has as much to do with "potential" as "intent" , we intend them to serve our purpose with no intent to inflict bodily harm , in the hands of a current rioter it would be possible the label might apply in another old west sense    

How about a fork. My brother used one on my knuckles at dinner once. They bled. Sheesh, all I did was splat his glasses with mashed potatoes from my fork.

He is eight years older than me. So, if I was old enough to remember this, he was old enough to know he'd get grief for doing that.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

But, believing in reincarnation as I do, I'm fairly certain you were part of one a (maybe several ) in a former life.

Seems I recall you traveling with one of the herds I was in.

Yes. You recognized me cause I was in the lead. :P:lol:

I’m a weapon

He’s a weapon

She’s a weapon

They’re all weapons

Wouldn’t you like to be a weapon too?
;)

Archived