SASS Wire Forum

Is this because I'm getting old?

Alpo

For the past two days I have been trying to think of a term.

If, for example, I was a lawyer, I should not handle the divorce of my good friend Tom, because my good friend Tom is married to my sister. That would be a --- aarrrgh, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TERM?????

Then just now it popped into my head. Conflict of interest.

But I've been trying to remember it for two damn days.

That is --- uhh, err, oh yeah --- that is annoying.

Conflict of Interest

Because you're getting old?
No.

Because the mind is constantly busy.

It's a human condition that strikes young and old alike.

Alpo, you need to dump your mind frame then reboot.:lol:

How about fighting with packaging materials? 

Things in tamper proof packaging that takes a chainsaw to open.  Different healt products like mouthwash and aspirin in child proof containers where some you have to push down and twist or pinch in and twist.

I was just getting some cookies and pulled the tray out of the bag.  I struggled a good bit trying to get the tray back in and gave up.  I just dumped the remaining cookies in the package and pitched the tray.  But the package had too much memory to stay rolled up and kept unrolling itself. 

Sawmill Mary handed me a DVD that had came in the mail. The plastic used in packaging must have been developed for the space shuttle.  No way you can pull it open and was plenty tough to cut with a knife.  Then you have to fight your way through the cellophane outer cover. Sometimes even popping the DVD out of the box is a fight.  

Gas cans with the spout nut that has locking steps. 

That happens to me, Alpo. 
I have always been absent minded but words have never failed me until recently. I was getting pretty upset about it, but then one day I decided it wasn’t worth it. If I can’t remember, it must not be important enough to remember. 
I am still absent minded though...:P

It's call nonfluent aphasia.   It's a real issue for people (like me) who depend on oral communication.  If you ever see me struggling for a word, do not hesitate to chime right in.  I will consider it an act of kindness.

We are all battling age from day one.  But there is also medication.  In 2003 I was put in hospital to get check out hypertension. They tested everything and found nothing. They let me go on the third day drugged up to the point I was a zombie.  I could hardly climb into the car.  I weaned myself off the drugs and started to recover.  I found the statin almost killed me. My memory was about one second long. I avoided conversation because I couldn't keep up.  Someone would say something to me and I couldn't remember it long enough to respond.  I'd pretend not to hear and ask them to repeat.  Then I'd start to respond and forget what I was saying in mid sentence.  I don't trust the medical community. 

Is this because I'm getting old?

Yes. Yes it is.

its a race to the finish but the finish is 6 feet in the ground , im in no hurry , but yes some days it takes longer to recall that trivia item that used to jump into perspective in split seconds , still there - just gotta find the dusty drawer i stored it in and get it open , 

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

It's call nonfluent aphasia.   It's a real issue for people (like me) who depend on oral communication.  If you ever see me struggling for a word, do not hesitate to chime right in.  I will consider it an act of kindness.

An act of kindness sez you!  My wife does that for me (to me?) only she always comes up with words that have the exact opposite meaning of what I wanted to say. Sometimes I stop and ask "Would you really love me if I was the kinda guy who would say that?"

As many times I've been on our streets, I still have a problem recalling the name of one of them. Drives me nuts. I also had a bad run  in with a statin. Messed me up something fierce, joint aches/pain, problems walking or going up and down steps. Resorted to a cane for awhile and it still didn't keep me from having knees that looked like a five year olds( band-aids and scabs). Wife would be walking out of a store into the parking lot, one minute I was with her, next, she would look back and find me on the ground. My one DIL told me about her mother having the same problem and it was the statin she was taking, same one they had me on! I quit taking it and told my Doc to see about something else or getting back on the original one that didn't bother me. It took almost six months for the crap to stop messing me up. To this day, I still don't trust my legs on steps and my balance on uneven ground sucks. Golden years?????????Yeah, right:rolleyes::blink::mellow::blush:

17 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

she always comes up with words that have the exact opposite meaning of what I wanted to say.

It happens sometimes.  But I just say "no" and keep going.  A lot of times I find when this happens I remember the word I needed.

1 hour ago, punxsutawneypete said:

it's the retrieval system that seems to have slowed down.

No kidding.  Started a long time ago.  I earned my BA at 43 while working full-time and purposely took as many classes as I could with traditional students (kids).  I found that, if the course required us to apply what we'd learned, I did better. If it depended on instant recall, they had the advantage.

Have you stumbled onto a gun you have no recollection of buying or owning?  

I had a small collection of barreled actions and other assorted junk leaning behind a door for many years.  Just forgotten about. For some reason I got to looking for something and there was a 43 Egyptian rolling block. I cleaned it up and couldn't come up with any memory of buying it or having it.

Even years ago I was into refurbishing old guns.  I must have pricked it up at a gun show with the intention of rebuilding it into a buffalo rifle. I knew I had a box of 43 Egyptian ammo but did not know why. 

Anyway,  it was complete with cleaning rod etc. I cleaned it up and took it and the box of shells traided it and got a good bit out of it.  Like found money.

"Backward, turn backward,

oh time in your flight.

I just thought of the answer

I needed last night."

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Have you stumbled onto a gun you have no recollection of buying or owning?  

At least twice.

Was digging through the safe one day and saw a blue plastic box. WTH?

Springfield 1911.

Another day, same thing, black plastic box.

AWA Peacekeeper.

How can you buy a gun and forget you bought a gun? Twice?

Finishes are sort of shiny, the barrels are about this long, and they shoot those bullets that are quite a bit smaller than an inch in diameter.

I can be more specific if you can post some clear pictures. I'm sure pictures would help jog my memory.

Archived