SASS Wire Forum

Small pistol primers - magnum or non-magnum

Mountain Man Gramps

It seems that no one has small pistol primers, only magnum primers.  I shoot .38 spec Vaqueros and a .357 magnum Marlin.  Does it make any difference if I use magnum or non-magnum primers?

The magnum primers will be slightly hotter than regular primers.  I adjust my powder by .2 gr to account for the hotter primer.  I also believe that a magnum primer will have a better chance of pushing a squib load out of the barrel, should you forget to put powder in the case.  Since I try very hard not to forget to put powder in the case, this is not really a determining factor for me.  However, primer availability very well may be an important factor these days.  Use what you can find.  At SASS loads, it won't make any difference.

Magnum primers make little to no difference in loads. They will not push a squib down the barrel any further than a regular primer, they are hotter, meaning temperature, not increased pressure. With the scarcity of primers use what you can find.

8 hours ago, Assassin said:

Magnum primers make little to no difference in loads. They will not push a squib down the barrel any further than a regular primer, they are hotter, meaning temperature, not increased pressure. With the scarcity of primers use what you can find.

This, But on the other hand, I have never used regular primers.

About 8-10 years ago, when I was a manager at Sportsman's Warehouse, I asked a CCI rep at a seminar about primer interchangeability, and she said CCI's small pistol magnum and standard small rifle primers were the exact same primer, just in different packaging.

So it sounds like it really makes no difference whether you use magnum or regular. Has anyone ever seen a case where it did make a difference?

It makes a difference in Bench Rest and Bullseye. In other words, precision shooting. I use both, not because of performance but for availability. There is no difference in price, buy the magnums.

Some opinions may vary.

I did some tests and posted results here on the wire about 10 years back. Intentionally loaded squibs. Same brand of brass, same crimp, same gun. Used 5 different brands and types of primers. Shot them and measured the distance the bullet lodged in the barrel. There was little to no difference, the magnums actually didn't go down the barrel as far as standard primers. Here's what I learned, "don't load squibs".

Thanks everyone for your responses.  The corporate experience is pretty much the same - no notable difference between magnum and non-magnum small pistol primers.  Just use what you can get your hands on.

The only "real" or measurable difference between "Magnum" and "Standard" primers is defined as "Brisance."  The observed difference is the actual "flame travel" at ignition.  The Magnum primer flame travels a slightly longer distance in open air.  This would also give better ignition results in large pistol cases at reduced powder charges.  Whether or not the differences are actually measurable is academic.  For all practicable uses, there is NO real difference.

Archived