SASS Wire Forum

WTB - Lever Rifle for my 9 year old

Howdy Friends,

I’m just getting started and my 9 yo son wants to play the game with me (yippee!). My Arsenal is complete and I’ve got my son’s revolvers (wranglers with reduced power spring kits) and scattergun covered. Now I’m trying to complete his outfit with a rifle. My ‘73 is just too darn heavy for him. Was thinking of a Browning BL 22 to stay caliber-consistent with the wranglers, but I’d like to hear if anyone has a “dust gatherer” that they’d like to pass along and also any sage advice On make, model and caliber from this high quality group of friends. He’s fairly tall for his age but I’ll still need to shorten the stock a bit to fit him on nearly any rifle. Thanks for your advice and any hardware you have that I might consider. 

JJ

Before the Browning...look at a Henry youth model. They are not as hard to cycle as a Browning and can be had with a youth stock.

I recently posted a video of a girl, not 8 years old yet, shooting at her first match. The Browning .22 lever action is extremely short stroked, which was nice for her small stature. Her dad removed the original stock and put on an old one he cut down for her. She's going to be a rock star amongst our CAS very quickly! The video is on FB in the SASS and Cowboy Action Shooting group. 

9 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Before the Browning...look at a Henry youth model. They are not as hard to cycle as a Browning and can be had with a youth stock.

+1 on the Henry, they are delightful little rifles!

Don’t get me wrong...the Browning BL22 is a very good rifle....but my own grandsons had better luck and liked the Henry better than the Browning. That short stroke is harder to rack than the Henry. 

25 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Don’t get me wrong...the Browning BL22 is a very good rifle....but my own grandsons had better luck and liked the Henry better than the Browning. That short stroke is harder to rack than the Henry. 

Reb, talk to Slater @Slater's In House Guns. Him & Widder get together and slick up them Henry 22's real fine. They worked one over for me, action job & Slater's trigger job. It's a pure pleasure to shoot. Give Slater a call, you won't be sorry.

I would suggest that you pick up a Henry youth rifle and send it to Widder to have his soft stroke action and Trigger work done. This will make a rifle that your child will enjoy greatly in shooting.

I am just getting ready to post a for sale, Henry 22 lever gun. My son's are too old for it anymore. It was used by other youth shooters before they did. 

Shootin Straight 82888

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AxIKiNZp8VYla7zKSu10kUZoAW-NHZ_/view?usp=sharing

On 8/28/2020 at 2:27 PM, Shootin Straight said:

I am just getting ready to post a for sale, Henry 22 lever gun. My son's are too old for it anymore. It was used by other youth shooters before they did. 

Shootin Straight 82888

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AxIKiNZp8VYla7zKSu10kUZoAW-NHZ_/view?usp=sharing

Hey Shootin’. PM sent. Looks like we’re near each other too. JJ

On 8/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, Parson John Tourmann, #67768 said:

My girl started with a Rossy Model 62 16" barrel. I cut down the stock. She was 9 when she started.

Parson

On 8/28/2020 at 11:39 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

If you would consider a pump .22, look at the old Winchester model 1906.  I've had mine since I was 6, and it's the sweetest shooting .22 I've ever found.

Thanks!  Had not considered a pump but not a bad idea. . .

Archived