SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning Brass shot gun shells

J.C. Smoke, SASS #22300

I don't really have a problem cleaning brass shotgun shells.  My problem is, at the range,  because I shoot real black, by the time I get home they start to discolor and then I have a problem cleaning them. Sometime I need to run them through my pin tumbler twice.  

Does anyone have an kind of neutralizing solution so that I can put them in immediately after firing?

When I'm shooting brass shotgun shells loaded with black (substitute), I take a old gallon water jug with me to the range that's about half full of water and a few squirts of dish soap.  After each stage, the fired shells go into the jug of soapy water and shaken up a bit.  By the end of the match, I have a jug full of crummy soapy water and brass shotgun shells to take home and clean more.  I'm sure there's all sorts of witches brew besides just soapy water that helpful folks will chime in with in a few.  Cheers!  :D

Well, not exactly.  Most will tell you to dump them in a container of soapy water.  Not really all that immediately effective.  I personally don't even bother with range treatments.  I just dump 'em inna bag and haul them home.  Once here, I run warm water in my shop sink to cover all the hulls, than dump in a goodly amount of WHITE VINEGAR in and let the hulls soak for half an hour.  Bake dry in a 180 degree oven then tumble in lizard litter.  They come out looking just fine.  I don't personally need the hulls to be "Shiny New" looking, just clean a ready to reload.  YMMV

FORGOT:  RINSE thoroughly before drying.

25 minutes ago, ZigMar said:

When I'm shooting brass shotgun shells loaded with black (substitute), I take a old gallon water jug with me to the range that's about half full of water and a few squirts of dish soap.  After each stage, the fired shells go into the jug of soapy water and shaken up a bit.  By the end of the match, I have a jug full of crummy soapy water and brass shotgun shells to take home and clean more.  I'm sure there's all sorts of witches brew besides just soapy water that helpful folks will chime in with in a few.  Cheers!  :D

This ^ plus all the brass cases.  Get home rinse with water.

43 minutes ago, J.C. Smoke, SASS #22300 said:

I don't really have a problem cleaning brass shotgun shells.  My problem is, at the range,  because I shoot real black, by the time I get home they start to discolor and then I have a problem cleaning them. Sometime I need to run them through my pin tumbler twice.  

Does anyone have an kind of neutralizing solution so that I can put them in immediately after firing?

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

This ^ plus all the brass cases.  Get home rinse with water.

These ^  plus don't let them dry before you throw then in with the pins.

You might try this - I have no experience with it. YMMV

image.jpeg.6eb28f3f6e5b09263b4221993d1e8f66.jpeg
Salt Neutralizer attacks the salt layers, and converts them into a water-soluble form that can be easily rinsed away. Unlike detergent based products, Salt Neutralizer's blend of organic acids, corrosion inhibitors, and penetrants neutralize the corrosive film left behind by road salt, brine and ice melt.

Howdy J.C. 

For a long time, like a lot of folks, I have carried a wide mouthed plastic jug with water and dish soap at the range.  I carried the jug with me at the stages when I had a bigger cart and now leave it at the car.  I dumped the brass in, shook it, rinse after getting home.  (This is real black powder).  But the brass would still get some streaks and stains on them that didn't rinse off.  More recently, I am still dumping my pistol/rifle brass in the jar, but the shotshells I just dip in the soapy water and swish around and give a quick wipe of the outside with my fingers and toss them into a canvas bag.  They stain much less this way and shine up quicker in my vibratory tumnbler.

9 minutes ago, watab kid said:

why cant they be tumbled as other brass ? not trying to agitate only an honest inquiry , i dont see a difference here 

They can and I do.  

Watab,  They can be just tumbled.  But there are elements in BP that need to be neutralized.  If "just" tumbled, the corrosion continues.  Cases used for BP and Subs need a neutralizing wash FIRST.

I wash in water with Simple Green in Lemi Shine.  After drying,  I chunk a 10 gauge bore brush in my lathe.  I brighten up the insides.  The brush is tight enough that it will hold onto the hull while I take fine steel wool over the outside.  

I've used the peroxide/alcohol/murphy's mix on guns between stages, never to clean brass though.  The one issue I've had with that mix is the murphy's is very slippery, good for the action, bad for keeping a grip on the gun. :ph34r:

Archived