SASS Wire Forum

RO and Left Handed Shooters

Lil_Rob

I'm  curious  to hear where you  stand how how you  work  with left handed  shooters? Being  right handed  and on the short side.  I find myself  out of place and  position  when timing  left handed  shooter's. With rights I like  to be to the right of  their right  shoulder. This gives me a good  view of how there handling their guns and keeps  the targets in  view. Even  with larger shooter's  I  still  get a pretty good view. I've  tried  working  on the left  side with  lift handed  shooter's. But  I can't  see there guns as well as I  do with right handed shooter's 

The only thing I change is where I stand.  I'm behind and shaded toward their right side so as to stay out of their peripheral vision.  But I still hold the timer with my left hand.  Even though I'm  a Double Duelist my right hand is still MUCH more dominant than my left.  If I need to jump in and take action I want my strong hand available to do that. I have a slight advantage in that I'm moderately tall with long arms.  That means I can reach over or around most any shooter and take control of whatever I need to without much of a problem.  

Much depends here on the style of shooting and the type of shotgun.

I do like to watch the ejection port on 97 shotguns so I stay on the right on that gun.

Two handed shooters I will move to the left side for pistol and rifle if a left handed shooter.

Gunfighters I will position myself so I can see both pistols.

Sometimes it depends on the props and the direction the shooter is going to move when done with the gun in hand.

Im a lefty myself; but I still position myself to the right side of the shooter.

None of our guns eject out the left side - so to be in position for viewing malfunction - the right side is the only view.  

45 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Sometimes it depends on the props and the direction the shooter is going to move when done with the gun in hand.

8 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Im a lefty myself; but I still position myself to the right side of the shooter.

None of our guns eject out the left side - so to be in position for viewing malfunction - the right side is the only view.  

These  ↑↑↑

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Do you hold the timer in the other hand for lefties?

No and I'm  thinking that  maybe something I need to do 

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

When I see a lefthand shooter come to the line I just chuck the timer down range and leave...

Let me be the first.

HAHAHA HAHAHAHA

HAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHA

LOL

:lol::lol::lol:

That's a good one!

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Does this win come with a buckle?

Naw, you win a left handed screwdriver. 

Kajun

I stand on their strong side and slightly behind them but with a view of the guns (left for lefties, right for righties) and always hold the timer in my left hand so my right hand is free if needed. 

If the stage includes movement (and many do) I try to stand on the side away from the movement to avoid causing interference.  I'm not watching the targets except in rare situations where it's a new shooter that needs help. 

Props, windows, doorways, etc., sometimes dictate where you must stand. 

5 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Much depends here on the style of shooting and the type of shotgun.

I do like to watch the ejection port on 97 shotguns so I stay on the right on that gun.

Two handed shooters I will move to the left side for pistol and rifle if a left handed shooter.

Gunfighters I will position myself so I can see both pistols.

This

2 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

NAW a participation ribbon. Creeker

I shoot a lefthanded 97 and it ejects from the left. 

See, thats why I knew you didn't actually have a lefty 97 - I would have stolen it off your gun cart years ago.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:47 PM, Ripsaw said:

I stand on their strong side and slightly behind them but with a view of the guns (left for lefties, right for righties) and always hold the timer in my left hand so my right hand is free if needed. 

If the stage includes movement (and many do) I try to stand on the side away from the movement to avoid causing interference.  I'm not watching the targets except in rare situations where it's a new shooter that needs help. 

Props, windows, doorways, etc., sometimes dictate where you must stand. 

My thoughts exactly;  I especially try to stay out of the shooter's peripheral vision.

I don’t worry as much whether they are left or right handed I try to concentrate more on which direction they are going to move towards. As they lay down a rifle or shotgun I check to see that it’s open and empty and then move with them. My big struggle is having ROs that like to crowd you and get in your way. Haven’t knocked one over yet but I’m sure it will happen one of these days. There’s a couple of people at one of the clubs That I shoot at they get way too close. 

Shoot hand guns left handed, long guns right handed.  The military said I could shoot an M14 left handed but I found the bolt cycling an inch from my face and the brass ejecting right across my face a little too disconcerting.  Having forced myself to shoot right handed I just never went back to lefty.  

Get in the side where you can see the gun. You can’t see the ejection ports from the left side.

Some people are tall, some short, some big, some small. Too many T/Os think it’s just about pushing the timer button and calling out the score and they just watch for hits not even paying attention to the guns. I saw a LOT of that this weekend when folks were running the timer. The shooter was already at the next window and the T/O was still at the previous window watching targets. Granted, it was super hot, so attention spans were short.

Get where you can see the ejection port of the rifle and SG, watch the hammer on the rifle, and watch the pistols; not the targets. Sometimes I have to squat so I can see the guns, sometimes I have to stand on my toes. You can angle yourself where you can watch knockdowns, see where the shooter is pointing their guns, and still see the guns. 

Over the years I have noticed that, with the exception of bolt action rifles, many firearms that are thought of as being "right handed" in their design are actually much more well suited to southpaws.

With the exception of the safety, the 1911 is much easier to operate using the left index finger than the right thumb.  Heck, you can pretty much say that about ALL of John Browning's automatic pistol designs.  And the even more bizarre thing is that all of them can be modified to a an ambi safety with drop in parts.   I've often wondered why they were not so fitted from the beginning.

With the 97, just dropping a shell in the open port is much less awkward that going "over the top."   (Or for that matter a Model 12, Remington 870, Remington 1100, etc...)

With the SAA, you never have to shift hands to reload.

And so on and so forth.

When all is said and done, it's very easy for lefties to adapt and use stuff ostensibly not made for them.

But I have a feeling that if you were to hand a left handed 97, if such a thing existed, to a rightie that they'd be totally confused by it.

Southpaws unite!

If y'all get confused with a left handed shooter what happens when you have lateral and downrange movement or diagonal movement. Do the best you can without getting run over. 

I take into consideration  which way shooter will be moving so as not to impede him. On the really fast rifle shooters I don't even try to watch the targets, I watch the gun for jacked out rounds. 
newer, slower shooters who are more likely to get confused on target sequence I try to watch targets more. 

TOing is an art, not a science! 

27 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I take into consideration  which way shooter will be moving so as not to impede him. On the really fast rifle shooters I don't even try to watch the targets, I watch the gun for jacked out rounds. 
newer, slower shooters who are more likely to get confused on target sequence I try to watch targets more. 

TOing is an art, not a science! 

Yer never supposed to watch the targets.

55 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And all this time I thought we were talking about running the timer for Lefties and not about how well suited guns are for Lefties... Silly me...

Left handed 97's were brought up.   As was shooting them upside down.  This was an extension of that.  Sometimes tangents happen.

Archived