SASS Wire Forum

Marlin owners Beware

I happen to own two (2) Marlins. Both are virtual of course. 

One is my imaginary 1894  .44 Magnum  and the other 

is my imaginary 39 AS in .22 rimfire. 

Well, over on another forum I was reading about the .22 rimfire

and the extractor Marlin supplied with the original rifle. 

It seems the extractor is weak and has been known to fail 

at a Murphy moment. So I went looking for a replacement.

I found that most of the suppliers I would normally use no longer stock the part.

Since Remington is up for sale, and they own Marlin,

I guess no more production parts are made.  

So, if you are looking for parts, GOOD LUCK. 

Great....I didn’t think about Marlin being owned by Remington. 

I wonder what parts I should buy “just in case”?

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Great....I didn’t think about Marlin being owned by Remington. 

I wonder what parts I should buy “just in case”?

The only part you'll need:

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1873-short-rifle-357-magnum-38-special-20-oct-barrel.html

:D

To complicate matters,  the re-introduced 1894 had a lot of parts that look like leftover antique models made prior to WWI when they were discontinued.  Then many feature were changed over time. So there are several different carriers,  extractors and ejectors. 663745991_MarlinWisnerejectorsApril2019.jpg.3bb7fa970b0a9001496e6f8470ee3a91.jpg1090248180_Marlin1894ejectoroldFeb2020(1).jpg.d89add077db526999f50aa0e17c81181.jpg1257934567_Marlin1894c357ejectorAug2020.jpg.0c7c02b2b92d42bc4564f45f8ba4a45e.jpg

2120984648_Marlin1894extractorsAugust2020.jpg.8a3dff9cdd0b3caa4b0dd5a6db4a9332.jpg

Later post saftey guns look to have normalized somewhat.  

My 39A's been steaming along for 65 years... and my 336 for 50.  Should I start to worry?   :huh:   :)

10 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My 39A's been steaming along for 65 years... and my 336 for 50.  Should I start to worry?   :huh:   :)

One problem with the Marlin 1894 design is the ejector tend to fall out when the bolt is pulled.  It generally goes "parts unknown".

I have a 1897 and the firing pin tends to fall out. 

I had an ejector spring break in a 1894 made in 1900.

Now,  if you don't need the gun for several months looking for a unique part,  then don't worry.   Maybe if you want to shoot it in a match this weekend,   it's small insurance to pay.

Well Church, I am just as delighted as a hog at a feed store, for you.  :lol:

The later models have a bent spring that is used for an ejector and have been known 

to break at a Murphy Moment. Mine was made in 1999 and equipped these lesser materials. 

Bottom line and virtual requirement, you know. 

I think some one makes one more robust and not as virtual, but I can't find his web page.  

Dang virus. 

I have an 1894CB that I bought in 2019. I have over 500 rounds through it with zero defects. It would be a lot more but crashing bikes and having back surgery just throws a damper on my hobbies sometimes. I did find a sight that sells parts for Marlins made after 2009, but then I was thinking “Are these the same parts they made on the crappy machinery by the techs that didn’t know what they were doing with lousy QC oversight?...or are these parts recently made after they seemed to have gotten their stuff together and made more reliable guns?”

Looks like I gotta send an email and find out. 

I have 2 JM stamped '94s. Both in .45 Colt.  Both were bought used. Both have several thousand rounds thru them, by me, with nary a broken anything. Not sure how much the original owners used them........

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No extractors :unsure:

OLG

Lumpy, might you know if the "Ranger Point" M/94 extractors are still available?  :huh:

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Lots of after market extractors on the market to cover that off.  I just got an Shur Claw extractor from F&D Gunsmithing. 

Plenty of aftermarket ones for sùre. Can you post a picture of this extractor?

Not showning on their site. 

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Lumpy, might you know if the "Ranger Point" M/94 extractors are still available?  :huh:

Yup, go to their site and see which version you need.

OLG

Archived