SASS Wire Forum

Old Shotshell Primers any good?

Diamond Jake

I acquired some reloading supplies in an estate sale, and it included several boxes of shotshell primers.  The 209 I assume are fine, as they show no sign of corrosion or neglect.

However, there's a box of Remington No. 57, No 157, and CCI No. 97.  Any idea if these are OK for modern hulls?  The dimensions of the Remingtons are a few thousands smaller diameter (.230 vs. .240) but the CCI measure the same as the 209 primers.

I'd be using them in 12 ga with black powder, and would only use them if the shotgun primer shortage goes on too long.

Unless they have collector value.

image1 (4).jpeg

OK, I just did a little more research.  The 57 and 157 will only fit old Remington high brass hulls with fiber basewads, so they are out.

The No. 97 are the same dimensions as the modern 209 and would technically fit, but the flash hole is open, allowing small grains of fine powder to enter the primer itself.  FFg would probably stay out of there, but probably not worth the risk.

I guess I'll carry them along at the next gun show I attend and see if some collector wants them.

Diamond Jake, the all-brass Alcan hulls use the 57 / 157 primers.  Not worth paying a hazmat fee to mail them unless you had a bunch, but someone may need them.  The Alcan hulls are nice when you find them, heavier than the Magtech / W-W / Rem-UMC hulls.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Private party can not ship power our primers as per BATFE.

OLG

O-Yeah!

Jake!!  I live in Ashland City. Figure out what you want for ‘em and I’ll buy them from you!!!

PM me and we’ll work it out!  I need to get over to Rivergate anyway.

44 minutes ago, Long Gulch, SASS #53035 said:

Well dang Blackwater, I knew I was hanging on to these things for  reason. I have something like 1400 #57 primers. Remington and CCI. Need to figure out  way to get them to you.

LG!!  I’d love to have them!  I already owe you for that butt plate, so let me buy these from ya ‘!!

I’m not shooting, but I’m planning on being at the Tennessee State Match.  We can figure something out, even if you don’t make that one!!

We can make that work.  Maybe send ‘em with Ocoee Red or Purly.

I will stay in touch!!

Jake!!  I am still interested in your primers too!!

On 8/27/2020 at 12:22 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Jake!!  I am still interested in your primers too!!

PM Sent.  Sorry for late reply

Archived