SASS Wire Forum

Lubing, greasing and thread protecting my Cap Guns

Whiskey Hicks

Lubed the chambers with 5w-30, used  Mobil 1 grease on the main pin, used copper anti-seize on the threads to protect the nipples from rust and stuckage, and capped the empty chamber position with a thread protector from Home Depot.

I just took a lot of the suggestions from the past several cap gun posts as well as the questions I’ve been asking.

If I screwed up horribly above, let me know.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just now, Whiskey Hicks said:

Lubed the chambers with 5w-30, used  Mobil 1 grease on the main pin, used copper anti-seize on the threads to protect the nipples from rust and stuckage, and capped the empty chamber position with a thread protector from Home Depot.

I just took a lot of the suggestions from the past several cap gun posts as well as the questions I’ve been asking.

If I screwed up horribly above, let me know.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What should I use on the walnut? Gun oil doesn’t feel right, nor does the motor oil.

I use Thompson's Bore Butter on most of the gun including arbor, bore and wood.  I use a drop of Mobil 1 on internals.   I use Outers choke tube grease on nipple threads.  I snug them down and then back off a 1/4 turn. I do this because I don't know if I'm going to get them out tomorrow or next year.  

I use grease in the guts of the gun, helps repel soapy water during cleaning.

I use grease on the arbor as well, if using my Uberti cap guns, I have a small needle nose squeeze bottle filled with Tri Flow, and after reloading he chambers, I do a drop or two of this Tri Flow on the arbor at the cylinder face to help clear previous fouling.

I never put oil in the chambers, unless the gun will be sitting for months on end.  And when I do, I do a quick wipe of a patch with either Eezox or Qmaxx, just to prevent rusting.

I use Bore Butter on the arbor and aerosol Balistol on the moving parts, nipple threads, and general wipe down.  I've never had a nipple stick using Balistol .

Hi WH:

You didn't screw up at all.

The only thing I might change is to cut the dome off your thread protector.

It does not do anything, except stick up above the nipple, possibly catching on the recoil shield as the cylinder turns.

If you trim off the dome, you just get a red ring, which is obvious to see.

Take care

--Dawg

Grip panels - I would wait until original finish looks poorly.  Then strip chemically and apply a gun stock linseed oil finish.   Like Linspeed or TruOil.  Both of which provide a finish that can be easily retouched with more BLO type finish.   You can't really put anything on varnished wood pistol grips to keep them in perfect condition.  Wax will make them slippery.

Good luck, GJ

Archived