SASS Wire Forum

Old California

Subdeacon Joe

Image may contain: outdoor
Matteo Mereu to California History

Mission Dolores, San Francisco, 1856.

Somewhere in the town I was raised in (not givin' anyone the ammo to shoot me down if I say "grew up in."), a bit before my time:

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor
You know you grew up in Vista if...

This photo was just posted on the Vintage San Diego THE GROUP page. I’m pretty sure none of us were around in 1911 but does anyone recognize any of these buildings? Were they still standing in the 1950s?

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

aint that amazin ? some of us dont think that is all that long ago in spite of what others think , i remember civil war veterans still passing away in my lifetime 

Yep.  I'm the same way.  The Great War ended "only" a little over 100 years ago.  The War of 1861 started not quite 160 years ago.

The last veteran of that war had passed before I was born.  BUT, the last surviving dependent of a vet of that war, still drawing something like 73 bucks a  month as a pension. just passed in June of this year.

I've related this before, but when I was knee high to whatever I was knee high to I Met a Spanish American War vet at my dad's VFW post (and a whole raft of Doughboys who had been Over There).  He had likely known Civil War vets, heck, he might have been the son of one.  They likely knew people who participated in the First War of Secession.  So, me to Mr. Miller, to the vets he likely knew, to the vets they likely knew.  That's four handshakes, four lifetimes, to span the history of our republic.

Not long at all.

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

aint that amazin ? some of us dont think that is all that long ago in spite of what others think , i remember civil war veterans still passing away in my lifetime 

Me, too, and I'm still impressed that my dad saw Geronimo.

When I was born FDR was still alive.

My Grandfather was chasing Poncho Villa around Mexico in 1910.

I am a 4th generation Californio, my family came to California (Lodi) during the Gold Rush. I left after I retired in 2000 and moved to Colorado and love it.

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I am a 4th generation Californio

Interesting.   I thought Californios were the Mexicans who came to Alta California prior to 1848.

My Confirmation Sponsor was an elegant gentleman in all senses of that word who was proud to be a 5th generation Californio.  Got very upset if someone asked if he was Mexican.  He would draw himself up to his full 5'4" and, with frost in his voice,  say, "I'm a Californio."  He had been born around 1910, so his family must have been in San Diego County since the early 1800s.

Family came from England, Scotland & Ireland. My Grandfather called anyone who was in California before 1900 a Californio.

also scot decent , but multi generational american and damn proud of it  what im thinking is we protect and preserve that history we thought was important enough to erect - no matter how offended anyone might be by the fact its true , just me 2 bits but willing to stand on it if called upon , 

Archived