SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 in 45 Colt versus 44 Mag

Del Rio Pete

I like my Rossis, fun little rifles.

I had an Interarms model 65 in 45 colt I paid $225 for. I wish I had kept it for a hunting rifle. I easily handle 300 grain silhouette loads if single fed.

For SASS, it had speed limitations, chronic stovepipe issue and not at all suited for black powder. 

Several things: This was my first SASS rifle and I was learning. In hind sight, I should have had a competent 92 smith work it over, not shot BP. I was unaware at the time of OAL sensitivity.

I would like one in 44-40, 44 mag or 45 colt (no particular preference) but it is low on my priority list.

Howdy Del Rio Pete.

Some VERY GOOD comments above.

I've never owned a Rossi so my opinion is strictly based on .44 mag vs .45 Colt.

Both cartridges can be loaded equally light or equally heavy.    Indeed, the .45 Colt can give performances that can equal and sometimes exceed

.44 mag performances for pistol and rifle.

I've owned .44 mag Rugers and .44 mag Marlins.    But after studying up on .45 Colt possibilities, I no longer shoot .44 mag.

BUT, I now own and shoot .45 Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and a 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt.

I don't think you will be able to discern much difference in either and If you decide to hunt hog or deer (and maybe bear) with

your rifle, I doubt the game you shoot with it will be able to discern the difference, assuming proper bullets are used.

If you are gonna push your bullets fast in the rifle for max performance, check out the excellent bullets from

Hornady.   Both the .44 XTP and .45 XTP perform very well.   In my .45 Marlin, I specifically like the 240 gr XTP/MAG,

250 gr XPT and the 300 gr XPT/MAG.     I don't think a big hog or bear east of the Mississippi would survive being

popped with that 300 XTP/MAG.

Good luck with which ever one you choose.

..........Widder

5 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I was going to suggest .454 casul.

I remember reading about someone testing .454 vs .45 rossi.

The tester accidetially put 454 in the 45 rifle.

It fit and it fired with no problems.

454 sure has more hitting power even out of revolver.

And it seems the .45 would shoot out of the .454.

Alll a good while back. 

Check before loading but the 92 design is stout.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Pictures~??   :)

Yeah, we know what they look like, but hey... it's NEW~!!  ^_^

Perhaps I can figure out how to share a picture.

I’m not sure if they make a .454 Casul any more.
At least I haven’t seen any new ones.

This new Rossi 45 Colt seems so good that I’m thinking of selling my old Rossi 357 and buying a new Rossi 357.

Maybe not.  I always regret selling old guns.  

Thanks

5 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I was going to suggest .454 casul.

I remember reading about someone testing .454 vs .45 rossi.

The tester accidetially put 454 in the 45 rifle.

It fit and it fired with no problems.

454 sure has more hitting power even out of revolver.

And it seems the .45 would shoot out of the .454.

Alll a good while back. 

Check before loading but the 92 design is stout.

Best

CR

X2, the R92 spits out Buffalo Bore 45 +p+ ( basically a light 454) without noticing it isn’t a 45 cowboy load.  Your shoulder does notice the difference.

You don’t need the extra chamber length, sticking with the 45 Colt chamber will suffice.

I started with Ruger Vaquero's in .45 Colt long before I got into CAS, so when I started  I gravitated to the 92 as it was pretty much all that was available and affordable to me then.  Rossi had just introduced the limited run of Stainless 20" guns, and for me here in the Pacific NorthWet it made good sense.  Additionally, our state allowed using the .45 in a rifle for deer hunting as long as it generated enough muzzle energy, which several over the counter loads did. 

It was a crunchy rifle at first, although after a bit of use it smoothed out.  Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve's guns) fixed it for me, and he also built my second, a blue 24" with octigonal barrel.

I like .45 Colt, and the rifle will shoot anything I feed it reliably and smoothly.

I recently sold all my Rugers and switched to .454 diameter lead bullets for accuracy int he handguns, the rifle doesn't notice - it just shoots whatever I feed it.

If I was going to use my rifle for any kind of hunting, or had to carry my Colt revolver for hiking (not my first choice. . just saying)  then I'd probably use these in

either of them:  Winchester Defender Ammunition 45 Colt

SC

P.S.  Rossi still make the .454 Casull version.

WINS45CPDB_PDX1_Defender_45Colt_225gr_Bonded_JHP_A.jpg

I bought a .44 mag because it was a ridiculously cheap closeout gun. I also have .357, .44-40, and .45 Colt Rossi '92's. Maybe a slight preference for the .44-40, simply due to historical authenticity.

Archived