SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 in 45 Colt versus 44 Mag

Del Rio Pete

I know this has been discussed many many times and I’ve read as many posts as possible, but, I’d still like you opinion.

Do you prefer a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt or 44 mag?  Why?

If you don’t own a Rossi, your thoughts on the 45 vs 44 would be appreciated anyway.

I already own a 20” SS Rossi 92 in 38 spcl/357.

I know that the 1873 or 1866 are the best for CASS and 38 is cheaper and more popular and 44-40 is best for black powder.

I would need to buy revolvers for either the 45 or 44 caliber.

I realize it is a Ford/Chevy or Ginger/Maryanne question.

It would be for general fun, possibly used a little in SASS.

It might never be used for hunting.

I’ve just started reloading 38 spcl & 45acp.

Comments about non-SASS and SASS bullets and powder would be appreciated.

I don’t think I’d ever cast my own bullets, but things change.

Your top two or three bullets for deer hunting or hog hunting would be interesting.

Comments of why you like one caliber over the other would be valuable.

Plus, any other related thing or story you think would add to the discussion.

Thanks a bunch.

Personally given the above criteria I would go with the 45.  The Rossi 92 is a very strong action and can safely handle the +P or "Ruger only" loads found in some manuals, so the 44 and 45 are pretty much equal in power (at least out of a 92).  SASS style revolvers are also much easier to find in 45.  Does anyone know the twist Rossi puts in their 44 barrels?  I know some factories use a really slow twist that makes them limited to 240gr bullets or lighter vs the 45s are typically a 1-16 which will stabilize any 45colt bullet out there.  You are also already loading 45Auto, so a common caliber is another + for the 45colt.  For hunting a 250gr cast RNFP style bullet is pretty hard to beat, especially if the alloy is reasonably soft.  For jacketed bullets the Hornady XTPs are pretty good IMHO.  For SASS loads you cannot beat a case full of black powder, for non SASS I tried many many powders, but I came back to the old standard of 9.0gr of Unique with a 250gr cast bullet.

July Smith,
Thanks for the detailed response.

Very helpful.

I am not sure about the diameter of bullets for reloading 45 Colt.
.451 .452 .454 ?
Looks like .452 is the most commonly available.

It seems .451 or .452 are used for 45acp.  I’ve only used .451 from Hornady, Cimarron Bullets, Blue Bullets, and just ordered some from Bullets by Scarlett. 

4 minutes ago, Del Rio Pete said:

I am not sure about the diameter of bullets for reloading 45 Colt.

.451 .452 .454 ?
Looks like .452 is the most commonly available.

It seems .451 or .452 are used for 45acp.  I’ve only used .451 from Hornady, Cimarron Bullets, Blue Bullets, and just ordered some from Bullets by Scarlett. 

For cast bullets .452 is pretty standard in both 45Auto and Colt.  I believe most jacketed bullets are .451 or .452 but they are both safe to shoot in 45 colt.  To really determine the most accurate bullet for your rifle you would have to slug the bore and then opt for the bullet that is about .001 or .002 larger, but unless your guns are at the extreme end of the spectrum you will never notice an issue shooting .452 sized bullets.

My first CAS rifle was a Rossi 92 in 45 colt ... I really loved shooting that gun. It was very light (5lbs) ... easy to snatch ... vertically staged on the run (when that was common) ... 

It eventually became my favorite long range pistol caliber rifle ... The hottest I ever loaded it was 8grs of Green Dot behind a 200gr bullet. This load was a pleasure to shoot (went 1200 fps from the 20 inch barrel) and when zeroed 2 inches high at 25 yards you could make point of aim hits out to 100 yards all day.

It wasn't till I started shooting a 73 that I noticed how straight/flat it was ... (no stock comb drop ... just flat like holding a 2x4) ... 

Anyhow ... if you haven't seen it ... here is a pretty neat article (w/ loads) that discusses just how hot you can load these things.  fire.gif.76a8457cb7478b6dc9c2ba4dc604ec5a.gif

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

Like many other cowboys, I have or have had rifles in .44 Mag and .45 Colt.

My nod in the rifle is to the .44 because the rim is twice as big as the .45, making extraction easier (in my opinion).

Of course the best answer is "Why not one of each?"

I don't know what the twist is on my Rossi 92 in .45 but it likes .452 cast bullets.

23 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

My first CAS rifle was a Rossi 92 in 45 colt ... I really loved shooting that gun. It was very light (5lbs) ... easy to snatch ... vertically staged on the run (when that was common) ... 

It eventually became my favorite long range pistol caliber rifle ... The hottest I ever loaded it was 8grs of Green Dot behind a 200gr bullet. This load was a pleasure to shoot (went 1200 fps from the 20 inch barrel) and when zeroed 2 inches high at 25 yards you could make point of aim hits out to 100 yards all day.

It wasn't till I started shooting a 73 that I noticed how straight/flat it was ... (no stock comb drop ... just flat like holding a 2x4) ... 

Anyhow ... if you haven't seen it ... here is a pretty neat article (w/ loads) that discusses just how hot you can load these things.  fire.gif.76a8457cb7478b6dc9c2ba4dc604ec5a.gif

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

Wow.  Those are some powerful loads in the article.  I think I’ll try the Cowboy loads to start. Haha

My logical & practical side thinks 44 Mag.  My emotional side thinks 45 Colt.  I just love the big 45 Colt.  Much “cooler” to me.

Thanks for your insight.

34 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Like many other cowboys, I have or have had rifles in .44 Mag and .45 Colt.

My nod in the rifle is to the .44 because the rim is twice as big as the .45, making extraction easier (in my opinion).

Of course the best answer is "Why not one of each?"

Yes, one of each is always the best answer, isn’t it?

This sport is really addictive.  Glad I live in Texas.

Deacon KC

Thanks for the .452 info.  That is what I’ll order when I load 45 Colt.  
I do have one non-sass 45LC/45acp that I can start with.

10 hours ago, Del Rio Pete said:

My logical & practical side thinks 44 Mag.  My emotional side thinks 45 Colt.  I just love the big 45 Colt.  Much “cooler” to me.

Thanks for your insight.

I think you just answered your own question.  Go with what you “just love”.

Me?  I just love the practicality and versatility of the 44 mag.  But I also learned there are way fewer CAS guns in that caliber than the 45LC. But with a Marlin 94 and two Rugers, I’ve had as much fun as any two guys should be allowed.

As will you with your guns in 45LC.

P.S.  Maryanne sitting next to me in the middle of a Ford truck’s bench seat.  :wub:

I have one in .45 and it doesn't care what RNFP bullet I run in it. For cowboy, I tend to buy what is on sale. For a long time I bought 200 gr. bullets as they were $20 cheaper per 1000 than any other. They long since wised up and increased prices. It's been awhile since I ordered any, so you'd have to check around. If I was to hunt, I would go towards the heavier end. You can use the stoutest, safest loads your shoulder can handle. I've used multiple brands of powder, check your load books. 

I used to have one in .44 mag. that was unreliable chambering bullets while shooting CAS. I may have been too inexperienced to figure it out back then, but my current .45 doesn't care if it eats 180, 200, 240 or 250 gr. bullets and has never stove piped.

I have owned one Rossi  92 in .45 Colt. I sold it.

It seemed like I was always tinkering with it to get it right. I have had better looking components inside Chinese SKS rifles than what was inside my Rossi. The inside of the receiver looked like an unfinished forging or more accurately, the inside of a cooling volcano. If looking to buy a  Rossi  run your finger down inside the receiver. If you feel pain,  move on.

Once I got it dialed  in the rifle was a fair shooter. I do not recall the twist rate. When I get home from work  I will see if I wrote it in my gun book.

My Rossi was VERY cartridge length sensitive. Then at some point I miraculously had to shim  the cartridge guides because all of a sudden they were too far apart :blink:

When I bought the gun the gent I bought it from  said it "had a hundred rounds shot through it and then it went into the safe for a  few years." It apparently went on field  trips without  the owner's knowledge as it had a lot more than a hundred rounds through it or they were a very hard 100 rounds. <_<

I shoot a Marlin now.

If my words upset anyone your brand loyalties may be misplaced.;)

I don't know why anyone would be upset about someone else's experience w/ any gun or what another person thought about their own choices/decisions. 

... but ...

I was under the impression that "all" Rossi 92s were cartridge length sensitive ... and at the least ... require cartridge guide shimming ... to keep the bullets from flying out (unless operated very deliberately). Need to change out that truck/heavy duty/ejector spring too (and a bunch of other things). ^_^    

14 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I don't know why anyone would be upset about someone else's experience w/ any gun or what another person thought about their own choices/decisions. 

... but ...

I was under the impression that "all" Rossi 92s were cartridge length sensitive ... and at the least ... require cartridge guide shimming ... to keep the bullets from flying out (unless operated very deliberately). Need to change out that truck/heavy duty/ejector spring too (and a bunch of other things). ^_^    

:lol: I made my statement  because I have extensive experience with getting chewed on and flamed for my opinions of certain beloved firearms. ;)

My Rossi was VERY  VERY cartridge length  sensitive. Once I figured out the right COAL it was okay but it  was borderline ridiculous.

I have one in .45C with a 24" barrel.

I has two problems: it has a CCH receiver and I have seldom seen an original with the receiver color hardened and it's in .45 Colt.  Now don't get me wrong, I love the .45 and have it in several other guns and it is one of my two "go to" calibers for a handgun.  However, in my mind's eye I just don't see .45 in a long gun.  I have a '60, '66, and a '73, all in .44-40 as God intended.  I'd swap the Rossi for the same gun in .44-40 if I could find a really nice 24" octagonal barreled rifle with blued receiver.

As to the .44 mag, I've never owned one and see no reason to ever get one.  Shot a bunch of them over the years and don't find them appealing at all.

And that, my friends, is why ice cream comes in so many flavors.

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:lol: I made my statement  because I have extensive experience with getting chewed on and flamed for my opinions of certain beloved firearms. ;)

My Rossi was VERY  VERY cartridge length  sensitive. Once I figured out the right COAL it was okay but it  was borderline ridiculous.

Well, that is an inflamatory statement.

I would go with .44 mag since I already own several firearms in that caliber.  However, if I was starting without firearms I would choose 45 Colt due to the better selection of available revolvers.  I am shooting coated bullets with a minimum charge of Unique in my 44 mag rifles. 

If you are buying strictly for CAS use, it really doesn't matter. If you plan to use this rifle for hunting, self defense, plinking, I would go with 44 magnum. Simple reason is availability of ammunition. You can go into any gun store in this great country and find 44 magnum ammunition, not so much with 45 colt. Just my 2 cents.

You guys are all way too funny!

That’s why I love reading your comments.

Great education with a little laughter.

We sure need that now, don’t we?

6 hours ago, Dusty Wyatt said:

I had one in 45 and liked it,but I was never a competitive shooter. Usually in the bottom 50%

Amongst the laughter, Dusty’s comment reminded me of how much I miss Jim No Horse aka Alan Barbee, from Texas.

He used to say “I shoot slow, so you don’t have to.”.   

Dusty, as the old school teacher used to say...”Be the best.  Either the best of the bottom half or best of the top half.  Just excel with what you’ve got.”  Haha

Well, it looks like everyone is out of 20” SS Rossi’s at the moment.

Fun to look forward to something in the future, isn’t it?

I did order some 45 Colt cases from Starline for my Ruger Redhawk 45acp/45 Colt...out of stock, but backordered.

Thanks again.

Pat Riot, my 92 in .45 has not been sensitive at all, but my 92 in .357 is. No flaming here, thanks for your input.

26 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was gone?  Hell, I don't remember that.  :huh:  :P

They say the memory is the second thing to go....

I forget what the first was...

I have a Rossi 92 in .45.  When I first got it, I couldn't make it through a single stage.

Sent it back to Interarms (the importer at the time).  It was back in a couple of weeks... and from that time through today I could not make it jam or mis-feed.  After a bunch of thousands of rounds, the li'l hole in the bottom of the barrel that the magazine cap screw anchors into wore into an egg-shape and the magazine tube would slide forward.  A dot of weldment and a quick drill fixed that.  By the way... its entire life, it's only been fed a diet of fairly stout loads.

Love that li'l thing; it's quick, accurate, lightweight, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it afield for deer or pigs.  

Oh... my son has one, too, and feels the same about his.  Which, of course, is a .44.   ^_^

The Winchester M1892 design is somewhat OAL sensitive, but once you determine what works reliably, you won't be disappointed regardless of caliber.  Personally, I started CAS with a Navy Arms (Uberti) M1860 Henry rifle in .44-40, and one old Colt's SAA in .45LC.  When Ruger introduced the original Vaquero in .44-40, I bought one, but experienced problems due to the chamber and throat diameters.  Before Ruger took care of the chambering problems (but left the throats .425", which have proven very accurate with .430" hardcast bullets, so I have left the throat diameters alone), I had the gun fitted with a .44 Magnum cylinder.  I then acquired a Rossi carbine in that caliber.  When SASS went to two pistols, I acquired a second Ruger in .44 Magnum, then found a cylinder in .44-40 with the tight throats. Both Rugers have the cylinders interchangeable (NOT between the two guns).  When the Henry began to start straining my old back, I acquired another Rossi in .44-40. Depending on which bunch of ammo I have loaded, I simply pop in the matching cylinder and grab the matching-caliber Rossi.  My loads in both cartridges are matched ballistically (NOT in charge weight...the magnum takes about 6.25 percent LESS powder than the .44-40). 

I'm not saying you should avoid the .45LC, if that is your preference, but the .44 caliber cartridges can be more versatile beyond CAS.

Stay well, Pards

If one has a Uberti 1873 in 44 mag, is there any compelling reason to add the Marlin 1894CB in 44 mag, if one wants to shoot full house loads?

I figure the Uberti has to pass SAAMI pressure specs, but don't know if it would start to rattle apart after a box or two of full house 44s.

i do own a rossie 92 in 45colt , i started shooting it back years ago and shot it quite a bit - no issues , ive shot a 73 & 66 in recent years , but pulled it back out for WOWS this past weekend , no issues at all with the rifle , i cannot give it a better recommendation than that as ive not altered or 'slicked' it up at all i shoot it as it came out of the box and not been disapointed -but im not a fast shooter FWTW 

• 1 month later...

I just received my Rossi R92C 45 Colt 20” Stainless Steel rifle.

Very very good fit and finish.  A lot better than my older Rossi 357. 
Super smooth action.  At least for someone that is happy with a good stock gun.  My old Rossi has to be handled firmly when cycling the lever. 

Haven’t taken it to the gun range yet, but I am super impressed so far.

I appreciate all of your comments and assistance. 

I had a Hartford model Rossi '92 in .45 Colt!  It was a 24" octagon barrel with CCH receiver and nice featured wood.  It ate everything I ever fed it and was really accurate, AFTER I had a professional gunsmith tune it up and smooth it out. It was a very nice rifle and I could and did shoot those "Ruger Only" rounds through it when shooting long range without complaint.  My dear sweet wife bought me an 1860 Henry replica and the '92 was retired.

I sold it a couple of years ago for much more than I paid for it, but I often wish that I hadn't.

I recently acquired a Rossi Carbine in .44 mag.  I'm not nearly as fond of it as I was the .45. Of course, it's a carbine and it's lighter so recoil comparisons are not really fair, but the .45, which shot much heavier loads, was smoother and didn't jump around under recoil like the .44 does.  

I've never been all that impressed with .44 mag. It's a great round and lots of people go for it.  I like my .45 Colt rounds in the "Ruger Only" range for that kind of shooting.  I figure if I'm gonna' throw heavy lead at high velocities, BIGGER is BETTER!!

1 hour ago, Del Rio Pete said:

I just received my Rossi R92C 45 Colt 20” Stainless Steel rifle.

Pictures~??   :)

Yeah, we know what they look like, but hey... it's NEW~!!  ^_^

Howdy,

I was going to suggest .454 casul.

I remember reading about someone testing .454 vs .45 rossi.

The tester accidetially put 454 in the 45 rifle.

It fit and it fired with no problems.

454 sure has more hitting power even out of revolver.

And it seems the .45 would shoot out of the .454.

Alll a good while back. 

Check before loading but the 92 design is stout.

Best

CR

Archived