SASS Wire Forum

California Folks

I need some explanation.  I know nothing of the AR Type of rifle,

other than some are black, and a lot of folks don't like them. 

But then apparently a lot of folks do like them.

But I digress. 

My question is about the button issue. What is it, what does it do

and why is it so important to your lawmakers? 

I know, I am an old fossil. 

The Big D capons in Sacramento thought that the designed magazine release was too efficient and wanted to increase the time it takes to swap magazines.

To that end they mandated either a fixed magazine or a magazine release button that needed some sort of tool to operate.  The easiest way to do that was a shroud around the mag release button.   Thus was born the "Bullet Button" which required some object to be held in the hand and used to operate the release.   Most are designed so that you can use the tip of a bullet in a cartridge to operate it.

After the San Bernardino shooting the capons decided that the dreaded Bullet Button was made to make magazine changes even faster than the designed botton, some,  because of a reporter,  claiming that pressing the button turns it to full auto...not just full semi-auto.

So.   In their wisdom they decided that in the standard design any magazine release button makes an AR an assault weapon.  Therefore they decided that you had to open the receivers to either drop the magazine or load it from the top.

BUT ... if you take off the super deadly flask hider, remove the pistol grip, have a fixed stock,  i.e. make it "featureless," it is no longer an assault weapon, just an ordinary rifle and you can put the designed magazine release button back on. 

I hope that clears things up for you. 

HUH?

Thanks for the information Joe.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Not quite certain I understand the reasoning behind this, but then

I suspect that I am in a majority of shooters. 

How would the button make it full auto?

Just now, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

it doesn't have to make sense for a reporter to say it, and then for the general sheeple to believe it and the government to make a law against it.

Well, that makes sense richt there. 

5 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Not quite certain I understand the reasoning behind this, 

How would the button make it full auto?

The reasoning is "Gunz-R-Bad."  It's part of their shamanist worldviews.  Gunz cast spells on people and cause them to do horrible things.  

As to how the bullet buttons turn them full auto, well a reporter said so, si it's true m

21 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander SASS #24171 said:

So let me get this straight. If I have a semi-auto 1918 BAR with a 10-round magazine, an M1 Garand, and an M1 Carbine with a 10-round magazine, none of these are classified as "assault rifles" ?

Presently.

Everything you read today here will change next week...As it has been doing for a long time...

You buy one this week and next week it is considered not safe.....Rules change every week to make them happy...

But we are very safe by their thoughts....

Texas Lizard

I don't know why I didn't think of this before:

image.png.511f58fb0ca5625474fae1a4d1d0da39.png

Hmmm....
so

If someone were to come up with a modern version of, say, the .44 Henry that could feed in an AR platform you could have the pistol grip, flash hider, etc. and it wouldn't be an evil assault weapon.

image.png

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander SASS #24171 said:

So let me get this straight. If I have a semi-auto 1918 BAR with a 10-round magazine, an M1 Garand, and an M1 Carbine with a 10-round magazine, none of these are classified as "assault rifles" ?

Only if they’re black I think.:P

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Only if they’re black I think.:P

Would that make it a ‘rifle of color’?

Sorry, I just got done reading a previous thread regarding such an issue...

Another thing; the bullet button was a work around to the law that a tool needed to be used to remove the magazine. This “bullet button” was a serious slap in the face to the maroons in charge so now any gun with a bullet button is an automatic felony...well, a felony. The automatic part is and isn’t a pun. 

The cool part is now I can just have a regular old mag release as my AR-15 is “featureless”. No scary parts...

Pat: Yeah, but it is real ugly now! I know, I had to change one of mine also.

It doesn't have to make sense. I remember when they first started this "no easily removable magazine" BS. We had a rep from the California AG's office come talk to us at a local NRA meeting. They were trying to decide if standard SKS's were going to be included in the list. To most normal people an SKS has a fixed mag, as there is no release button, you have to un-bolt it from the receiver, as it is clip fed from the top. They were justifying the addition because they had " one of our bigger agents take an SKS and rip the magazine from the gun, so that makes it removable". Didn't matter if it couldn't be re-inserted and fired. I kid you not.

6 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Pat: Yeah, but it is real ugly now! I know, I had to change one of mine also.

It doesn't have to make sense. I remember when they first started this "no easily removable magazine" BS. We had a rep from the California AG's office come talk to us at a local NRA meeting. They were trying to decide if standard SKS's were going to be included in the list. To most normal people an SKS has a fixed mag, as there is no release button, you have to un-bolt it from the receiver, as it is clip fed from the top. They were justifying the addition because they had " one of our bigger agents take an SKS and rip the magazine from the gun, so that makes it removable". Didn't matter if it couldn't be re-inserted and fired. I kid you not.

I believe it. 

The California DOJ is run by the same type of people that are employed by the Russian Ministry of Justice. Commie scum. 

On 8/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, Innocent Bystander SASS #24171 said:

yes same with M1A! a gun with real fire power. the laws are made by moron who know nothing about guns 

i was impressed with this description ....." the capons decided that the" ............of those in charge , id not thought of it but having reflected aftrer reading your statement i now have a new perspective of what is going on out there 

10 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i was impressed with this description ....." the capons decided that the" ............of those in charge , id not thought of it but having reflected aftrer reading your statement i now have a new perspective of what is going on out there 

Thank you.  I've been using that term for them for a decade or more.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:07 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

BUT ... if you take off the super deadly flask hider,

You are hiding a flask on your AR? did not anyone ever tell you that guns and booze do not mix?

12 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

yes same with M1A1! a gun with real fire power. the laws are made by moron who know nothing about guns 

The M1A1 is either a 30 carbine with a folding stock, or the last version of a Thompson (which wasn't really a Thompson it just kinda sorta looked like one). Do you by chance mean the M1A, which is the civilian version of the M14?

20 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I still never understood why people have problems with any firearm that isn’t fully automatic.

I don't understand why people have problems with any firearm. Period.

21 minutes ago, watab kid said:

very appropriate , may i use it in the future without giving you credit as i dont get paid for anything i write or say ? 

Anything I post on a public forum is open for stealing  creative acquisition with or without attribution unless I write something like, "If you steal this please give me credit for it."

Just now, Alpo said:

You are hiding a flask on your AR? did not anyone ever tell you that guns and booze do not mix?

Damn that Otto! He done sneaked in and changed the word as I was hitting "Enter" on my phone!  :lol:

fair enough , ill borrow it and note i did not originate the thought - its a great one 

oh and to the other posts , i agree , never understood the objection to any firearm , its the people behind them i often question , and yes the M1A is a fine example and mine shoots well , love my 308 but never the M1A1

11 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Damn that Otto! He done sneaked in and changed the word as I was hitting "Enter" on my phone!  :lol:

Autospellcheck is my new worst enema!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The M1A1 is either a 30 carbine with a folding stock, or the last version of a Thompson (which wasn't really a Thompson it just kinda sorta looked like one). Do you by chance mean the M1A, which is the civilian version of the M14?

I don't understand why people have problems with any firearm. Period.

Fair enough. I just mean that something that has enjoyed civilian ownership for the last hundred or more years should be pretty culturally ingrained by now, but I guess we can’t argue with crazy or stupid.

Archived