SASS Wire Forum

U S Postal Service running late

Warden Callaway

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The privatization of the US Postal Service was a huge fail. There was talk for years of privatizing the National Park system too.

What I want for my Federal tax dollars is pretty basic. A sufficient military to keep the country defended, well-maintained roads and bridges, and a postal service that delivers efficiently.

Am I asking too much?

Apparently!

Second time in a month that I got no mail for 3 days then BOOM! yesterday I got mail twice by two different carriers!

As we were in the PO checking on bullets that should have been delivered,  Sawmill Mary tried to get some update on another package that is weeks late. Still no update. But the PO lady said the Kansas City distribution center was so short staffed that everything is backing up.   It's probably setting there in a mail bag. 

Somebody needs to shoot the efficiency expert that came up with some of these changes. Our stuff gets collected and sent to Cleveland now. Used to be taken care of locally, then they changed it to Akron, and now Cleveland. Stuff going from here to here takes about four days now when it used to take one or two.Plus they closed several local offices:blink::rolleyes::blush:

been waiting on a promised delivery since mid august - ordered in february , im not blaming the producer or the supplier - delivery person , im blaming this covid crap .............has everything off kilter for no reason , get your flue shot and get on with it ............please 

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a month.  Sawmill Mary went in and checked. Lady said they have a lot of mail lost at the KC facility including some of her mail.  

Since it wasn't shipped priority mail,  the sender has to file the claim.  That's what she said.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:19 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The privatization of the US Postal Service was a huge fail. There was talk for years of privatizing the National Park system too.

What I want for my Federal tax dollars is pretty basic. A sufficient military to keep the country defended, well-maintained roads and bridges, and a postal service that delivers efficiently.

Am I asking too much?

Apparently so, Bob. 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:04 AM, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Postal service does not get tax money, except to cover Congressional members franking and mail for the blind.  The biggest cause of loss of money by the USPS in last 14 years is  a 2006 law requires the USPS to prefund retirement benefits including  health insurance of people who have not been hired.  This has cost the Postal Service about 20 BILLION in just the last 4 years alone.  With Covid cutting mail volume: carriers and clerks out sick with covid and dying and not being replaced, it has caused staffing issues.

The current Board of Governers of the USPS placed Louis DeJoy in as the Postmaster General. DeJoy is one of Trump's largest fund raisers. Dejoy has mandated no overtime pay, no late trucks ( if waiting for mail to be processed will cause truck to be late, the mail is left behind), no delivery of mail coming late to a station where carriers are held for the late mail to get there.  His policies have been to remove mail sorting machines, and to make the equipment carriers use to sort mail smaller and less able to be efficiently used in local sortation for delivery. DeJoy also started a afternoon sorting plan instead of morning sorting plan. This means todays' mail sits at the Station till the carriers get back, then they sort it for tomorrow delivery.  Routes that do not have a carrier or where someone is out sick or on leave are not carried on overtime. 

I know a lot of you like to put the USPS down, but it has been a political football for many years. It used to actually break even or make money until 2005 now it is just hanging on. Look at the current political football in play over mail in ballots.  Consider all these changes to delivery and mail transportation now to be a coincidence? 

ar2010_4_002_1.jpg

who negotiated these contracts ? 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:25 PM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

... find myself on a first name basis with my Fed Ex guy and my mailman.  

On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the best, our mailman in  Sacramento was a 10 (he even came to our yard sale when we moved and we met his wife :wub: ). Our mailman where we live now is a negative. We even go to the next nearest PO to mail out. We even got a neighbor's drugs :o! Luckily he is the friend who told us about this property.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 8:19 PM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Part of the Post Office's problems can be traced to inefficiency.  There are way too many post offices located in two horse towns when a more centralized office could serve a larger area.  I live in a county with a population of about 60K.  We have 8 post offices in our county.  Two of them are less than a mile from each other.  That is 8 buildings, 8 post masters, at least 8 desk clerks, utilities etc.  UPS and Fedex operate out of central distribution centers.  How much money would it save to close at least 1/3 of the local post offices?  How about no post offices within 10 miles of each other.  That would cut us down to 3.  

We live in a one horse town (figuratively speaking, as there are lots of horses around here) with a population of <40 K. I think our nearest PO could be removed with no loss in service! :)

Archived