SASS Wire Forum

U S Postal Service running late

Warden Callaway

I ordered a couple of Colts parts on the 14th. Shipping label created on the 15th. They entered the USPS on the 17th.  Then the package went here and there.  Then pasted through Kansas City on the 19th.  Then to Columbia on the 20th. Out to our local PO in the early hours of the 21st.  The day of expected delivery.   Didn't show out for delivery.   And it wasn't delivered.  The next day, Saturday, it still showed it in our local PO.  I asked Sawmill Mary to check on it at the PO.  They were polite but had no helpful information.  It'll be found somewhere (or it won't).  It's back to "in transit",  "arriving late". 

Sawmill Mary checked at PO again today.  The last time that package was actually scanned was in Kansas City.  From there is anyone's guess.  Mail lady said often times mail gets stuck in a bag and then not sent to next destination.  

She also said the volume of mail is running as high as peak season of Christmas. 

A month ago I bought an antique rifle from a pard on the wire, shipped usps.  it made it to a sorting facility in Los Angeles from Arkansas in less than a week.  Then  took over a week to make it the 20 miles to our local PO and then to me.  All that time it was just listed as "in transit" on the tracking site.

If the mailman was enjoying it for that week, the least he could have done was included a target to let me know how it shot. :D

Howdy,

I mailed Silver Sam a cheque back in 2002.

It still hasnt turned up.

A couple weeks later I mailed a very similar item and it arrived in three days.

First cheque still out there....somewhere.....over someplace else....

Best

CR

Ordered a bolt handle in a padded envelope.  USPS got it across three states to the local post office in just 3 days.  The post office took four weeks to deliver it.  Tracking showed out for delivery for the first week, then changed.  Several other small parcels have been arriving late and damaged but none have disappeared lately.  Have faith it will come.

I had a UPS delivery scheduled for last Friday. It was allegedly on the truck and “out for delivery” from Aztec NM.

Said the same thing on Sat. And Sunday. Never got here. Then yesterday I got a “track your UPS package live” Email. It was in Durango. Scheduled for delivery 12-4pm. Every hour or so I checked the truck’s location. It made it to Cortez, 30 miles south. Then close to Yellow Jacket about 15 miles south. Then back to Lewis, 20 miles south. Then to Pleasant View. 14 miles away. 
Getting dizzy yet?
then about 3 pm the site said. “Check your package live map is no longer available” It usually says that after it’s delivered. So I went down the driveway to the box. Not there. 
Then the website had the map back up and said, “Delivery before 9PM“. The truck was almost all the way back to Cortez. Maybe he needed gas, or dinner. Not much chance for either between here and Cortez.

Package arrived about 7:30pm.

Just now, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I believe there is something going on witht he post office to make deliveries late or lost.

They want the public to complain loud enough that DC will help.

They want more money to fix thier induced problems.

You're assuming they're that organized. Of all the agencies in the country I think the USPS is the least able to pull off a conspiracy.:lol::D

8 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

THE POST OFFICE .... is nothing to write home about.

Alfred E. Neuman

Mad Magazine

:ph34r:

:lol:

I'm on my 8th day of waiting for bullets to arrive in VA, from the distant land of NC. Original delivery date on the USPS website was this past Sat 8/22. Then, Sun it was updated as "late delivery date". On Mon, the delivery status never changed. Today, it's allegedly "out for delivery". We'll see. I'm not hopeful.

Looks like I'm not alone in this misery.   

Somewhere I read a story about a service man in WWII sent a letter to his sweetheart asking for her to wait for him.   Some 40 years later, the post office was being remodeled or taken down.  They found his letter behind one of the sorting tables.  They delivered it. The couple reunited but both had married and had family.   

We're still getting good service here.  They just removed 8 sorting machines from our distribution facility, so we'll see if that continues.

I got mail twice yesterday, once in the morning about 10:00am then at 5:30pm. Two different carriers!

Of course I didn't get mail for the last three days!:o

The USP is allegedly a private company (like the Federal Reserve System).  The Post Office was "privatized" in the name of efficiency.  Seems to me we had much better service when the Post Master General was a cabinet member, and the agency was gubmint run! :unsure::wacko:

the USPS has been loosing money and falling short for years , no big surprise here , in spite of the efforts of many fine employees it has been bailed out and gotten dependent on tax funded money , perfect example of why the federal government was not constitutionally mandated to provide such services , as well as medical and retirement ..............

Postal service does not get tax money, except to cover Congressional members franking and mail for the blind.  The biggest cause of loss of money by the USPS in last 14 years is  a 2006 law requires the USPS to prefund retirement benefits including  health insurance of people who have not been hired.  This has cost the Postal Service about 20 BILLION in just the last 4 years alone.  With Covid cutting mail volume: carriers and clerks out sick with covid and dying and not being replaced, it has caused staffing issues.

The current Board of Governers of the USPS placed Louis DeJoy in as the Postmaster General. DeJoy is one of Trump's largest fund raisers. Dejoy has mandated no overtime pay, no late trucks ( if waiting for mail to be processed will cause truck to be late, the mail is left behind), no delivery of mail coming late to a station where carriers are held for the late mail to get there.  His policies have been to remove mail sorting machines, and to make the equipment carriers use to sort mail smaller and less able to be efficiently used in local sortation for delivery. DeJoy also started a afternoon sorting plan instead of morning sorting plan. This means todays' mail sits at the Station till the carriers get back, then they sort it for tomorrow delivery.  Routes that do not have a carrier or where someone is out sick or on leave are not carried on overtime. 

I know a lot of you like to put the USPS down, but it has been a political football for many years. It used to actually break even or make money until 2005 now it is just hanging on. Look at the current political football in play over mail in ballots.  Consider all these changes to delivery and mail transportation now to be a coincidence? 

ar2010_4_002_1.jpg

On 8/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I'm on my 8th day of waiting for bullets to arrive in VA, from the distant land of NC. Original delivery date on the USPS website was this past Sat 8/22. Then, Sun it was updated as "late delivery date". On Mon, the delivery status never changed. Today, it's allegedly "out for delivery". We'll see. I'm not hopeful.

I stand corrected. Package was delivered by 8 pm Tues.

Sent a Postal Money Order by mail to Colorado. Took over two weeks to get there!!

The item I was paying for was shipped the day the money order was received.  The item was delivered two days later!!

Ain’t no sense to it!!!

The privatization of the US Postal Service was a huge fail. There was talk for years of privatizing the National Park system too.

What I want for my Federal tax dollars is pretty basic. A sufficient military to keep the country defended, well-maintained roads and bridges, and a postal service that delivers efficiently.

Am I asking too much?

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The privatization of the US Postal Service was a huge fail. There was talk for years of privatizing the National Park system too.

What I want for my Federal tax dollars is pretty basic. A sufficient military to keep the country defended, well-maintained roads and bridges, and a postal service that delivers efficiently.

Am I asking too much?

No you are not.

It would be fantastic if that's all the government did, but I'm afraid the horses are out of the barn and BLM/Antifa burned it to the ground.

I find it hard to believe how bad the USPS is some days, yet other businesses seem to be able to pull it of.  I dropped of a tent camper canvas, to be sent for duplication, yesterday at UPS.  Going from Las Vegas to Wisconsin.  The guy said lowest and slowest I have is $76 dollars.  I was okay with that since I'd heard of some people paying up to $300 to ship them in.  Then he says, " Okay, it should arrive Friday".  That's lowest and slowest????  I'll take that any day.  And then he gave me a $10 Veterans discount--I didn't even know UPS did that.  Didn't even have to ask, he asked me!!!

Sorry to hear that everyone's mail is so slow, Barb and I get our mail every day, deliveries too. Nothing late or lost, but our cell service here in Prescott Valley sucks!!!

One of my partners is employed by the USPS in a medium sized town in central AZ.  He described the volume of mail and packages that is being handled by all commercial and government carriers as epic.   Using him as a reference, he describes the stay at home orders and pandemic work from home population as the main source of the delays in delivery.  It is just a volume issue, too much product and the infrastructure being pushed to and beyond its limits.  I have to admit I have ordered more on line over the past several months and find myself on a first name basis with my Fed Ex guy and my mailman.  

Part of the Post Office's problems can be traced to inefficiency.  There are way too many post offices located in two horse towns when a more centralized office could serve a larger area.  I live in a county with a population of about 60K.  We have 8 post offices in our county.  Two of them are less than a mile from each other.  That is 8 buildings, 8 post masters, at least 8 desk clerks, utilities etc.  UPS and Fedex operate out of central distribution centers.  How much money would it save to close at least 1/3 of the local post offices?  How about no post offices within 10 miles of each other.  That would cut us down to 3.  

4 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Sorry to hear that everyone's mail is so slow, Barb and I get our mail every day, deliveries too. Nothing late or lost, but our cell service here in Prescott Valley sucks!!!

You must live in the same Prescott Valley I do.  The location of the PO is inconvenient, but I can't complain about the service.  Cell and internet are a POS.

2 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You must live in the same Prescott Valley I do.  The location of the PO is inconvenient, but I can't complain about the service.  Cell and internet are a POS.

Forty, I agree that the P.V.  post office is inconvenient and it's hard to find a place to park. A study is being done to find a place for a new post office that is more centrally located with plenty of parking. I think the old Sam's Club building that was closed down would be perfect for our new post office, pretty much centrally located on Hwy 69 with a large building to handle all the mail and packages and plenty of parking. Now as for cell and internet service, well that's another problem we face as our city continues to outgrow itself.

Archived