SASS Wire Forum

Commas Can Make A Difference

Subdeacon Joe

34 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Or you could rephrase.

Jane enjoys her family, her dog and cooking.

We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers.

Stalin and the strippers. Good grunge band name. 

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

So you believe in the Oxford Comma?

I do.  We use it where I work.

21 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Only when I want clarity.
Why You're Wrong About the Oxford Comma - Sarena Ulibarri

20 Witty Oxford Comma Memes That Highlight The Importance of ...

Jane needs to make up here mind. Is she just a cannibal or a run of the mill carnivore?

Some folks think the really big comma mistake was in the Bible.

When the Lord said to the thief: "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with me in Paradise". 

Since there is no original punctuation, but the comma was added later on, by the translators...it could have been put in a different place..

It could have said: "Truly I say to you today, you shall be with me in Paradise."

That changes a lot of things. A few may see how....most won't.

Just sayin;

W.K.  

On a similar note, I've wondered why you sometimes see a period after every word that should be one sentence. So I Googled and the following was what I found.

"The use of the period in this case is meant to show how the phrase has been spoken aloud. Since a period indicates a full stop, this means that the person who spoke the words “must have coffee” stopped after every word, giving each word precise and heavy emphasis.

Back when I was in elementary school, they taught us that the comma replaced the word "and" in a list.

Instead of saying, "Joe and Perro and Bob and Jack and Mark have weighed in on this thread", you would write, "Joe, Perro, Bob, Jack and Mark have weighed in on this thread".

A comma would not be necessary after Jack, as the word AND was still there. Writing, "...Jack, and Mark..." would be like saying ATM machine or PIN number. Simply a useless redundancy.

Archived