SASS Wire Forum

Here we go again! Kenosha

Trailrider #896

In Kenosha, WI, a Black man was shot multiple times in the back as he attempted to enter his car.  The video appears to show one officer on top of the suspect's back, followed by the sound of seven (7) shots. Suspect was reported to have undergone surgery and was in stable condition.  Not having been on the scene, I can't say what was right or wrong, but SEVEN shots?  Did the officers think he was going for a gun inside the car...maybe under the front seat or in a center console?  Don't know how many rounds struck the suspect, but given the position of the officer, wouldn't one or two or even three have sufficed?  You LEO's active or retired please comment.  Of course the incident set off rioting, burning and one officer was hit in the head with a brick or rock, later! :(:unsure:

In law enforcement and civilian shooting schools,  students are taught to shoot until the threat is resolved.  Plus, if you perceive yourself at risk, you're gonna continue until you no longer feel threatened.  Most guns at most shooting scenes are empty.  

I'm going to diverge for a moment here:

Has anyone else noticed that within the last few days news media has begun capitalizing "black?"   :huh:

Just strikes me as strange.  Opportunistic, maybe... and a few other descriptors that escape me.   :mellow:

13 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm going to diverge for a moment here:

Has anyone else noticed that within the last few days news media has begun capitalizing "black?"   :huh:

Just strikes me as strange.  Opportunistic, maybe... and a few other descriptors that escape me.   :mellow:

It’s been going for a number of months. 

To me, it’s better than a hyphenated heritage.  

One witness heard an office say “Drop the knife“, several times.

People are rioting and destroying a city because a man  with several convictions for violent felonies was brandishing a knife, said he was going to get his gun out of his car,  refused to drop the knife, refused police orders to not reach into the car from which he said he was going to get a gun, was shot by police officers who didn't want him to get his gun out of his car.

See a different video here:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/24/jacob-blake-shooting-new-angle-struggle-cops-kenosha/

I'll wait for the official report before jumping to conclusions.

I am so glad I survived my career in law enforcement and I smile the 1st of every month because now they pay me NOT to be in that mess.  God bless those still in the trenches.

AND the guy is still alive... just confirms my opinion of 9mm as a self defense round. What good is a 15 round magazine when it takes half a mag to stop one bad guy. Previous shooting involving a LA patrol officer who also happens to be a top ranked competition shooter had to double tap an attacking knife welding perp 3 times to stop him. I hope most LEO are taking note and carrying extra mags.

58 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

AND the guy is still alive... just confirms my opinion of 9mm as a self defense round. What good is a 15 round magazine when it takes half a mag to stop one bad guy. Previous shooting involving a LA patrol officer who also happens to be a top ranked competition shooter had to double tap an attacking knife welding perp 3 times to stop him. I hope most LEO are taking note and carrying extra mags.

Or upgrading service pistols to 475 Linebaughs. :D

1 hour ago, Ranger Dan said:

Previous shooting involving a LA patrol officer who also happens to be a top ranked competition shooter had to double tap an attacking knife welding perp 3 times to stop him. I hope most LEO are taking note and carrying extra mags.

I suspect her career is pretty much over - and possibly worse.  She's being severely critiqued; scuttlebutt is there's significant political pressure behind it.  Link below to one of many articles...

Nobody seems to consider that less than a minute and a half passed between riding in a cruiser munching a candy bar to having dropped a meth-fueled, armed threat.  

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-25/column-he-had-a-box-cutter-ignored-commands-and-a-cop-shot-him-six-times-were-there-better-options

im holding off for "official comments"  but there is a pattern developing in these incidents that may or may not justify the results - the officers commands are ignored and the person of interest does not comply with what might be a simple inquiry - WHY ? 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

im holding off for "official comments"  but there is a pattern developing in these incidents that may or may not justify the results - the officers commands are ignored and the person of interest does not comply with what might be a simple inquiry - WHY ? 

I spent 26 years in Corrections, prisons and Parole. Realize that these folks are sociopaths who have no respect or fear, they only understand force. Thank God that they are only a tiny fraction of one percent of the population.

i was afraid that was the case and hoping that you were correct in your statement yet its seemingly more the norm in these hot spots - the commands are clear and the reaction is obvious - noncompliance , then everyone says "good boy-fine upstanding fellow" about the non-compliant individual that was combative and abusive in their communication ,  try cooperation ? 

Wow.. tough crowd.
It was intended as a bit of levity (read: heavy sarcasm) as the riots and burnings increase with every thug that gets capped by law enforcement.

I'm sure everybody has seen the full video, where the perp disobeyed every command, became a threat and got himself shot for it.
It's only going to get worse.

I watched the video.  It was hard to determine a couple things, but the guy did have an object in his hand as he walked away from police. He did have active Warrant for arrest. He did have an arrest history of assault, sexual assault, burglary, robbery, family violence. I suspect the officers on the scene were somewhat familiar with him.  The father's Facebook page is now been taken down, but father is a Farrakhan follower  previous to this event.

Reports from last night and this morning indicate he did have a knife.  The DOJ is saying it was in the car.  Witnesses said the cops were demanding he drop the knife as he walked to the car door.  Extrapolation would lead a prudent person to believe he had it in his hand (as a still from the video indicates) while resisting arrest, and while being shot.  

12 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Seven shots at body contact range and the guy is still alive and expected to recover.  Now THAT is sad. 

Theres a 9mm for ya.  Gotta hit a big bone, the CNS or a blood bearing organ (heart or liver) with that round.  

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Seven shots at body contact range and the guy is still alive and expected to recover.  Now THAT is sad. 

Cockroach rules...

On 8/26/2020 at 2:48 PM, Ranger Dan said:

Years ago, our dept. went to 9mm. 4 of us opted to continue to carry our .357 mags. After several nationwide reports of the 9mm being ineffective, they switched to .40 cal and made it mandatory.

21 hours ago, watab kid said:

My question prezactly.

Archived