SASS Wire Forum

Texan shotshell reloaders

Jeb Stuart #65654

Does anyone still use or know anything about Texan 12 Ga. shotshell loaders?  I have a few that were in an estate of a late friend of mine, and his wife wants to know if they are worth anything.  If you need more info I can send or take pictures if you send me a PM.

Thanks

Teal colored loader is a Deitemeyer No. 100  Looks  like parts may be missing.  Black one is a Texan LT   Missing one of the shot/powder tubes.  Seems to have all other necessary parts to load both 12 and 20 ga.  Also has manual and chart for bushings which there are 6 of.  The gold is a Texan Loadmaster

IM000213.JPG

IM000214.JPG

IM000215.JPG

IM000216.JPG

IM000217.JPG

IM000218.JPG

IM000219.JPG

IM000220.JPG

Just acquired one from my father's estate four of us were in a trap league and reloaded a lot of rounds. Wait for the weather to cool to set it up in the garage. I have a manual if you have questions.

12 minutes ago, Navy Davey said:

Just acquired one from my father's estate four of us were in a trap league and reloaded a lot of rounds. Wait for the weather to cool to set it up in the garage. I have a manual if you have questions.

Thanks, I'll stay in touch

I have 2 of them I use all the time now, graduated from MEC jr's. I assume you are talking about the progressive model. The regular model is a lot like a MEC. A pic would help.

54 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I have 2 of them I use all the time now, graduated from MEC jr's. I assume you are talking about the progressive model. The regular model is a lot like a MEC. A pic would help.

I'll try to get some posted tomorrow.

As for value, because that is what the OP asked for, they don't go for much unless you find a very interested collector.   Texan made several versions of the Dietmeyer designs (very similar to Bair and early Pacific).   If you had the model numbers, we could tell you if one is a "higher" end model and maybe a little more than the rest.

These loaders have not been made since the mid 1970s.  Because there are no parts around (except from scrap outs), most buyers don't want to buy and set up such a  loader.  I'd say she would get the highest prices by offering them at a couple of shooting clubs where her husband used to shoot.  They will know him and how well he kept up his equipment.    Even with that, they will probably bring no more than about $50 each.  If they need a ton of cleanup or obvious parts (powder and shot bottles or charge bar) are missing, they are worth very little.  Maybe you can find a fellow cowboy shooter who knows if they are complete.   Or post pictures here.

Yes, a Mec 600 Jr goes used for about $100, but any part needed can be ordered directly from MEC, and the loaders keep on running, so they retain a much higher used price.

Good luck, GJ

Looking over the photos, the Gold Texan Loadmaster looks like the best chance to be a good unit.  Maybe $75, just due to I don't know what parts might be missing.   Maybe best to advertise it within local clubs the owner would have shot at.

The Deitemeyer No. 100 may have some collector value or parts value to the right collector of loading equipment.   That one might make sense to advertise in the classifieds on Shotgun World forum.  There's at least 20 folks I've heard of say they collect items from the Inventor's company.  Maybe $60 to the right feller.

The black colored Texan is a parts machine, it might bring $20 or 40 to someone who has the same model and needs a few parts.  That could even be sold on eBay for that amount.  Shipping will be close to $20 though.

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Looking over the photos, the Gold Texan Loadmaster looks like the best chance to be a good unit.  Maybe $75, just due to I don't know what parts might be missing.   Maybe best to advertise it within local clubs the owner would have shot at.

The Deitemeyer No. 100 may have some collector value or parts value to the right collector of loading equipment.   That one might make sense to advertise in the classifieds on Shotgun World forum.  There's at least 20 folks I've heard of say they collect items from the Inventor's company.  Maybe $60 to the right feller.

The black colored Texan is a parts machine, it might bring $20 or 40 to someone who has the same model and needs a few parts.  That could even be sold on eBay for that amount.  Shipping will be close to $20 though.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the input.  Gives me a direction to go.

1 hour ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Looks awful small for something called the TEXAN. Haha. 

Umm, Ross Perot comes to mind, and then quickly exits.  :lol:

Archived