SASS Wire Forum

Cleveland reporter fired

Rye Miles #13621

A Cleveland radio station has fired an anchor for calling Sen. Kamala Harris America’s “first colored vice presidential candidate”

Semantics can be SO tricky these days.  Now, if he'd referred to her as "the first 'female of color' vice presidential candidate" he would've been okay.  Probably.  Maybe.   thinking.gif

But someone might've objected to "female," and stated that "woman" would have been more appropriate.  No.  "Woman" would have been the only acceptable term.  silly.gif

40 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Semantics can be SO tricky these days.  Now, if he'd referred to her as "the first 'female of color' vice presidential candidate" he would've been okay.  Probably.  Maybe.   thinking.gif

But someone might've objected to "female," and stated that "woman" would have been more appropriate.  No.  "Woman" would have been the only acceptable term.  silly.gif

You can say a Person of Color, but you can’t say Colored Person. 
Semantic Insanity I call it.

That's because they mean different things.

A colored person is black.

A person of color is not white.

Gandhi, Hirohito, Pancho Villa, and Jay Silverheels were all "people of color".

None of them were colored people.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Close, but not totally accurate.

From Wiki:

The term "person of color" (plural: people of color, persons of color; sometimes abbreviated POC) is today primarily used to describe any person who is not considered white in the United States. During various periods in US history, persons of color included African AmericansLatino AmericansItalian AmericansAsian AmericansNative AmericansPacific Islander AmericansMiddle Eastern Americans, and multiracial Americans.

"Of Color" would have been socially acceptable (and has been used by the media) in reference to Ms Harris and others in Congress.

As is normally the case, wiki is not quite up to snuff.

According to that that you quoted, Cassius Clay was a person of color because he was African-American, but Nelson Mandela was not because he was just African.

Then the NAACP should change their name! It means National Association for Advancement of Colored People! 

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

As is normally the case, wiki is not quite up to snuff.

According to that that you quoted, Cassius Clay was a person of color because he was African-American, but Nelson Mandela was not because he was just African.

Aaiieee....

Beware falling victim or prey to Analysis Paralysis~!!  :lol:

32 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I beg to differ. We all have a color. 

Seems like when we start separating folks out for something that is normal for them,

but different from me, I get in trouble, and rightly so. 

some time back persons of interest to the police were referred to as "colourful racing identities" when reported in the media.

.... seems that most of them had some contact with horse racing ........ or not.

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

We should understand that colored is an offensive term by now.  Defending its use is offensive.

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People! NAACP  guess they haven't received the memo yet!

I spent birth through 6 years old in Memphis, TN.  In those days, we were instructed by parents, teachers, and church to be respectful of the “colored people.”  It was the respectful term in those days.   

22 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Why not?  What is so hard about the idea of not using a term to describe people that they are clearly on record as finding offensive?

The NAACP doesn’t find it offensive or they would have changed it by now!

So its okay to say a person of color But not a colored person! Bizarre!!

27 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Why not?  What is so hard about the idea of not using a term to describe people that they are clearly on record as finding offensive?

That's hard to argue with.

4 minutes ago, MizPete said:

That's hard to argue with.

Only if you’ve bought into the fact that it’s offensive. All I can keep saying is the NAACP has no problem with it .

Basically anyone can find anything offensive at any time and you should know that ahead of time. I even catch myself at times saying Sir and Ma'am. I am so pissed at my mother for teaching me to use those offensive words. 

im curious , just when and who appointed the democrats to be in charge of redefining the english language and the standards of science ? let alone the record of history ?  this actually has a lot of comparison  to the nazis in the 30s and the taliban ,  they will burn books next ............and we stand by and let it happen , also comparable to nazi germany in the 30s both there and here 

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

im curious , just when and who appointed the democrats to be in charge of redefining the english language and the standards of science ? let alone the record of history ?  this actually has a lot of comparison  to the nazis in the 30s and the taliban ,  they will burn books next ............and we stand by and let it happen , also comparable to nazi germany in the 30s both there and here 

Nobody.  That means we can appoint a new council and it will be just as legitimate.  You want in? 

no - i would like to leave the language to websters and the history to those that document it but leave the ,monuments alone no matter whos they are , but ,, if we need to stand , yes ill stand , being silent and passive is not working well it seems , 

I just don't understand that you can say "A person of color" but you can't say a "Colored person". If that reporter, who's been doing news for that station for a loooong time, had just worded it a little different he'd still have a job!

They didn't even give the guy a chance to explain or apologize they just canned his butt! :angry:

Archived