SASS Wire Forum

Time to start making your own percussion caps

John Boy

Midway now has CCI #11's in stock @ $52.99 per 1000.

* They are the only vendor that will ship from an Internet purchase
* Others 'store pickup only' or no ship
* Remingtons = Out of Stock
Based on the current prices, looks like RTK Corp (CCI) has a lock on the market and prices are equal to "Scalper Prices"
When I bought 5000 from Cabelas about 4 years ago, at $32 per 1000... I cringed at the price but the going prices now are really putting it to the percussion shooters

So... time to start making your own primers ... https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker

How well will the caps fit Treso, Ampco, and Slix Shot nipples?

J-Bar.... ?  Send the vendor an email because I don't have the exact measurements for all the nipples you posted

PS: Let us know ... Okie Dokie?

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

J-Bar.... ?  Send the vendor an email because I don't have the exact measurements for all the nipples you posted

PS: Let us know ... Okie Dokie?

It was your recommendation, I thought you had used it.   Nowhere in the video are dimensions given.  The cap depth appears considerably shallower than either CCI 11 or Remington 10 cap.  I'm not desperate enough yet to pursue it.  Okie Dokie?

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

1511475045_RemvsCCIcapdimJan2020.jpg.305fcd4293bae3967ae7f56f1bcd5b8c.jpg

They are identical to Remington #10

Commercially produced CCI #11s may be identical to Remington #10s.  No telling what the homemade cap cup measures.

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Have you used it?

How well will the caps fit Treso, Ampco, and Slix Shot nipples?

You know,  it's a very small cost to find out.  Find a can of 100 at a local gunshop and try them out just plinking or practice.  You're out maybe $6.  

I hear Winchester caps are CCI packaged under Winchester brand. 

I have a bunch of CCI 11s.

I use them for practice, and clearing nipples before a match.  They are not reliable on my guns and I will not use them in a match.

38 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have a bunch of CCI 11s.

I use them for practice, and clearing nipples before a match.  They are not reliable on my guns and I will not use them in a match.

That's were I had a poor upbringing.  My first handgun was a Remington New Army reproduction.   I think it was marketed through Lyman.  Nobody told me to bust caps on the nipples.  I just looked and if there was daylight,  I loaded and shot.  If not,  I took a needle and cleared it.  I don't remember having any problems.  I shot it a lot until I was old enough to buy a cartridge gun. 

I can't recall ever popping a cap on a nipple.  

Kind of interested to see how the aluminum from a coke can would work on a revolver.  Seems like the aluminum is a bit stiffer than a normal cap.  Wonder if that makes it better or worse.  If anybody buys a kit to make these, we expect a full report!  

•  
  •  
  • Barney, here's your FULL report ... believe it doesn't make a row of beans difference making the caps out of aluminum ...

http://www.thegunmag.com/diy-percussion-caps-five-simple-steps/

PS: If you had used your Internet browser ... YOU could have determined a full report YOURSELF

35 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

If anybody buys a kit to make these, we expect a full report!  

Mako's Cap Primer -- A "must read" by cap gun shooters

http://guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

--Dawg

The issue of them breaking down due to handling seems a problem unless you're just at a shooting bench. JMHO

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

•  
  •  
  • Barney, here's your FULL report ... believe it doesn't make a row of beans difference making the caps out of aluminum ...

http://www.thegunmag.com/diy-percussion-caps-five-simple-steps/

PS: If you had used your Internet browser ... YOU could have determined a full report YOURSELF

That report says nothing about how well they stay on, issues with the hammer sucking the caps off the nipples, will they work in a snail or inline capper, or all the other fine details that concern us C&B shooters.  

If someone on the wire buys the kit it would be interesting to get their take beyond a rather simplistic review.

This looks even more tedious than rolling my own paper cartridges for my percussion Sharps, and I only roll a dozen or so at a time. At least they aren’t fragile and go bang every time. 

I suppose there’s some satisfaction with making something that harkens back to the 1830s, but as a substitute for modern caps it’s not for me. 

A version of this thing enjoyed some popularity back in the early 70's... mostly among real hard-cor "DIY'er" types.

Priming compound was a sprinkle of ffffg topped with a paper capgun cap, punched out with a 5/32" punch, then "seated" over the ffffg with a small wooden tamper.

They worked.  Pain in the butt, but hey ~ they worked!  ^_^

By golly I remember them adds for homemade caps probably as far back as the sixties and always wanted a stash, but alas milk and bread for the kiddies always took precedent!  Well, I checked yestiddy and there was plenty of the milk and bread in the frig and no kids to consume them so I placed my order.:)  Now to find a slow thinking friend and offer him a gift.;)  Reports to come afterwards!:blush: 

The parent company of CCI is now Vista Outdoors, which was spun off from Alliant Techsystems Inc , abbreviated ATK (not RTK).

Yeah, I know, it's hard to keep track of CCI and Federal and Remington and Winchester current owners identities without a program. ;)

Good luck, GJ

• 3 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 8:26 AM, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

By golly I remember them adds for homemade caps probably as far back as the sixties and always wanted a stash, but alas milk and bread for the kiddies always took precedent!  Well, I checked yestiddy and there was plenty of the milk and bread in the frig and no kids to consume them so I placed my order.:)  Now to find a slow thinking friend and offer him a gift.;)  Reports to come afterwards!:blush: 

Well, Bob... how'd that work out?  :huh:

Tedious or not, now that there are NO caps to be had, it's looking a lot more interesting.

HC,  I have been stove up for some time now and shooting has been far back on that back burner!!!  If and until I can get away from my oxygen tanks for a short spell reloading and chemical mixen is kind of off the plans.  Got some ammunition but not able to go shootin right now so it shore sticks in my crow sumwhat fierce...

On 8/24/2020 at 7:27 PM, Warden Callaway said:

That's were I had a poor upbringing.  My first handgun was a Remington New Army reproduction.   I think it was marketed through Lyman.  Nobody told me to bust caps on the nipples.  I just looked and if there was daylight,  I loaded and shot.  If not,  I took a needle and cleared it.  I don't remember having any problems.  I shot it a lot until I was old enough to buy a cartridge gun. 

I can't recall ever popping a cap on a nipple.  

And you are right... busting caps to clear is a waste of caps.  Before you get started for the day wipe out each chamber to make sure there is no oil. If you need to, use a nipple pin or canned air to  make sure the nipple is clear. Then load em up. I've watched guys waste caps for years.  However if you don't do your prep, then it's a easy second choice.  

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

And you are right... busting caps to clear is a waste of caps.  Before you get started for the day wipe out each chamber to make sure there is no oil. If you need to, use a nipple pin or canned air to  make sure the nipple is clear. Then load em up. I've watched guys waste caps for years.  However if you don't do your prep, then it's a easy second choice.  

I use canned air. Works every time.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:58 PM, Warden Callaway said:

1511475045_RemvsCCIcapdimJan2020.jpg.305fcd4293bae3967ae7f56f1bcd5b8c.jpg

They are identical to Remington #10

Not quite...  The CCI 11's and Remington 10s are about the same size, but the Remington cap cups are a wee might longer.

The Remington caps also have little nicks in the cup edges (see photo above) which promote even "opening" of the cap cup on ignition.  They open into four little "petals" which allow most of them to fall out of the right side of your revolver as you ear it back for the next shot.  They don't tend to jam in the recoil shield because of this.

The ones that do remain on the nipple cones easily fall out/off  when you "clear' the revolver after shooting the cylinder full.

The CCI caps do not have this feature and the cups tend to fragment irregularly and can tie up your revolver by jamming in the hammer slot /recoil shield junction as the cylinder rotates.  Not good, and for this reason I do not like to use CCI caps in competition.

8 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

HC,  I have been stove up for some time now and shooting has been far back on that back burner!!!  If and until I can get away from my oxygen tanks for a short spell reloading and chemical mixen is kind of off the plans.  Got some ammunition but not able to go shootin right now so it shore sticks in my crow sumwhat fierce...

Darn, Bob... plumb sorry to hear that!

I hope you can mend up and get back to enjoyin' the game! 

Actually I am beeting the odds as we speak hear.  As soon as I can get past this Covid scare I have a pass from the local shop to use their indoor range anytime I want and I am wanting mighty bad right now!!!  Anybody got any good news on when the new vaseline is sposed to be out so we can git back to normal?

1 hour ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Actually I am beeting the odds as we speak hear.  As soon as I can get past this Covid scare I have a pass from the local shop to use their indoor range anytime I want and I am wanting mighty bad right now!!!  Anybody got any good news on when the new vaseline is sposed to be out so we can git back to normal?

New vaseline? You need to change doctors! 

I bought 300 CCI#11's at my LGS for $6.50/100 and I don't even have a cap and ball revolver!!.....................YET!

On 8/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

This looks even more tedious than rolling my own paper cartridges for my percussion Sharps, and I only roll a dozen or so at a time. At least they aren’t fragile and go bang every time. 

I suppose there’s some satisfaction with making something that harkens back to the 1830s, but as a substitute for modern caps it’s not for me. 

seems like the priming compound might be the weak link, a better binding agent might make these more viable for actual usage.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I bought 300 CCI#11's at my LGS for $6.50/100 and I don't even have a cap and ball revolver!!.....................YET!

Academy sports still had CCI#11's for $5 last time I looked, appear to be gone now, glad I grabbed 300 while they were there.

Archived