SASS Wire Forum

Lube Question

High Spade Mikey Wilson

Graphite can work if with in a lube, but it is corrosive, especially to aluminum.

There are many better choices.

For an internal lube such as you mention where they is not much dirt, even Mobil 1 oil or grease are much better choices. 

Plus many different gun lubes such as Lucas, Some like EEzox which is pretty good rust preventative, but I'm not certain of it lubricating value.

Gunny said back in the day "we use what uncle gives us but personally I use Mobil 1"  So I only use Mobil 1 and bore butter on my cowboy guns and I shoot Black Powder.  Before Gunny I tried most lubes and didn't like them.  I didn't think graphite was slick enough, I could fill the drag on the hammer and trigger.  Today it would not make a difference, but at one time it did.

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Marauder,I am now working with my 7th quart of Eezox and it does every thing it advertises including lubrication

https://www.eezox.com/why-eezox

It drys and doesn't attract and hold dust.

It's my do-all ....

OLG

Graphite??  Not good.  My personal preference is Mobil 1 Grease and Mobil 1 5w 40 motor oil.  A gun tube of Mobil 1 grease will last a lifetime as will a quart of 5w 40.  Mobil 1 is a synthetic and plays quite well with BP and Subs.  And that Fad Heathen Smokeless stuff.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

And that Fad Heathen Smokeless stuff.

120 year old FAD??? :P

How about Frog lube? It smells great!!

34 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Graphite??  Not good.  My personal preference is Mobil 1 Grease and Mobil 1 5w 40 motor oil.  A gun tube of Mobil 1 grease will last a lifetime as will a quart of 5w 40.  Mobil 1 is a synthetic and plays quite well with BP and Subs.  And that Fad Heathen Smokeless stuff.

This!

I am a recent convert to Mobil 1 grease.

I still finish cleaning with Ballistol in the bores, but every other surface in all guns is protected by a schmear of Mobil 1.  No need to clean or re-lubricate during a match.  Much cleaner to shoot: I no longer get black splatters from my rifle on my shirts.  I’m talking blackpowder here.

I am a believer, verily!

:)

Frog lube is  an excellent rust preventative. 

I think it is probably a very lube (dry lube) as well.  Helpful for more dirty areas where you would not want grease or even mobil 1 oil.

I’ve been using this stuff for about 5 years now and really like it . 
https://www.slip2000.com/

I’ve tried just about everything out there , many products are excellent but after using this my guns clean up easier . I used to think not using petroleum based oils and cleaners was a bunch of bunk until I tried it. 
Still like some of the ammonia based cleaners for copper 

I am pretty new to this game but Hornady's " One Shot" is what several of the cowboys "in the know" have pointed me to and I have had no issues. I hear graphite is just too ruff on some of the smaller parts.

Head's up though, "One Shot" puts out a case lube too, don't use that on your guns.

-Lucky Drover Mo

17 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Just curious, and feel free to box my ears for this: what about bacon grease as a cap gun lube?

I never heard of anyone using it on the internals (probably for good reason).  As for a chamber lube, you'd have a mess on your hands, when it gets hot it'll run and then when cool it'll dry hard again.

2 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Just curious, and feel free to box my ears for this: what about bacon grease as a cap gun lube?

Bacon (and the grease) has quiet a bit of salt in it.  Doesn't sound like somethig I would want to smear in my guns.  (but it makes good gravy)

Blackfoot :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I tried it once and wound up licking my guns!!

11 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Frog lube is  an excellent rust preventative. 

I think it is probably a very lube (dry lube) as well.  Helpful for more dirty areas where you would not want grease or even mobil 1 oil.

I have plenty of Frog Lube. It's my preferred bore cleaner. 

10 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Lard or tallow both work well smeared in the chambers of my cap guns, but I would not use bacon grease because of the salt and preservatives. 

Archived