SASS Wire Forum

1873 rifle thoughts

DeaconKC

Ignore this, sorry

I am a newish shooter and have been in cowboy action for just under two years now. I have shot a Uberti '73 through about 20 matches straight so far and have never looked back yet. I have a Marlin 1894 too and love it but every time I head for a match grab that '73. I think the feeling of nostalgia and trust is what keeps me on it. 

-Lucky Drover MO 

I have two Uberti 73s in .45 Colt and both run reliably so far. Slicked them up a bit by myself and changed springs. Just like to mention that one was significantly stiffer, I'd say too stiff, out of the box than the other that ran already quite satisfactory. There si no such thing as "Ubertis are or run like ...."

Equanimous

Is the multi-piece firing pin on the Miroku an issue?  When I was deciding between the two, I chose Uberti mostly because of the pin.  The main reason was the price.  I stopped in at the big gun store in Lexington KY, and they had an Uberti '73 that someone had on layaway then changed his mind.  They had to sell it as used, and I got it for $850.  Looked like it had never been fired.  I've had no issues with it, until the day I tried shooting 45 Schofield cases instead of 45 Colt.  It didn't jam until the 5th shot.

7 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Is the multi-piece firing pin on the Miroku an issue? 

It did not give me any issues in my two rifles with the stock mainsprings.  Plenty of oomph to set off even CCI primers. 

Of course if you do opt to slick up the Miroku replacing the firing pin extension or welding it up sold is one of the first things many smiths do to improve ignition with lightened springs. 

What is most reliable?   No doubt about it.  A Winchester.  

73.jpg.70cc9e1d5bf62bf2e41f346fdcc3ac84.jpg

Twenty Four inch octagon barrel, .32-20 made in Hartford Connecticut in the year 1903, making it 117 years old.  It has all of its original parts, and has never needed any work to be done on it.   I would call that reliable.    Considering how the modern made replicas all seem to need to be worked on to some extent and the expressed concerns about breaking and hard to find parts, I'd say get a real Winchester.

On the other hand, I have handled modern made ones and they all seem to be well made.   As to which of the modern made ones is the most reliable, I honestly can't say.  They both have their plusses and minuses, so I really do think it comes down to your preferences.   

But nothing beats an original.  :)

16 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Curious - what made it more reliable?

My experience and the comparison with other manufacturers in the areas of costs, quality and handling say that and make the difference.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:57 PM, DeaconKC said:

Okay, looks like I may be going to a 73 Winchester style rifle. I don't want to spend money going to a gunsmith to get one to run right. Which ones should I be looking for that are reliable out of the box?

Deacon,

"Reliable out of the box" would be either one.   Sure, either the Uberti or the Winchester/Miroku will usually be reliable as "box stock".  If the gun is not functioning properly right out of the box, you don't send it to a gunsmith, you send it back for warranty work.  That situation will be rare.  How rare?  I do not have statistics, but Abilene might (concerning Ubertis at Cimarron).  You can do a search for him and ask.  Any of our FFLs can tell you how many they send back for service work.  It will probably be very few.

"Get one to run right" is subjective.  Both will get the job done.  Lever all the way, close the lever all the way, pull the trigger, hammer will fall, firing pin will hit primer.

What do you mean by "run right"?  Do you mean which one is smoother?  Or, which one has lighter springs?  Which one is the most competition ready?  These are all different answers than "reliable out of the box".  What are you referring to as "getting one to run right"?

Just now, McCandless said:

Deacon,

"Reliable out of the box" would be either one.   Sure, either the Uberti or the Winchester/Miroku will usually be reliable as "box stock".  If the gun is not functioning properly right out of the box, you don't send it to a gunsmith, you send it back for warranty work.  That situation will be rare.  How rare?  I do not have statistics, but Abilene might (concerning Ubertis at Cimarron).  You can do a search for him and ask.  Any of our FFLs can tell you how many they send back for service work.  It will probably be very few.

"Get one to run right" is subjective.  Both will get the job done.  Lever all the way, close the lever all the way, pull the trigger, hammer will fall, firing pin will hit primer.

What do you mean by "run right"?  Do you mean which one is smoother?  Or, which one has lighter springs?  Which one is the most competition ready?  These are all different answers than "reliable out of the box".  What are you referring to as "getting one to run right"?

Thanks, I was referring to reliability. I don't have safe queens, I need a rifle that I can count on NOT to be fragile or finicky. I want to be able to find a load that runs smoothly and accurately. Then if I do my part with keeping it clean and lubed right, not to have to worry about breaking it or having it spend time at a 'smith because it breaks. I know I will never be a bliding fast shooter, so I don't need a hot rod. Hope that makes sense.

14 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Thanks, I was referring to reliability. I don't have safe queens, I need a rifle that I can count on NOT to be fragile or finicky. I want to be able to find a load that runs smoothly and accurately. Then if I do my part with keeping it clean and lubed right, not to have to worry about breaking it or having it spend time at a 'smith because it breaks. I know I will never be a bliding fast shooter, so I don't need a hot rod. Hope that makes sense.

Deacon,

I can only tell you what my choice would be.  If you want to run the gun "box stock", and not modify it in any way, I would suggest the Miroku/Winchester.   Not because it is more reliable than the Uberti, but because it is more pleasant to shoot, (subjective opinion here), and can be run faster, (if you've a mind to), because of the shorter lever throw.  Feedback in this forum has been that generally the fit and finish is a bit nicer than the Uberti.  I can not speak personally to that, having seen only a few samples, I can only speak of those I've seen.  Be aware that if you shoot NCOWS, this rifle is not acceptable to them, as they consider it "short-stroked", and a competitive advantage over the Uberti.  

As for a load that runs smoothly and accurately, I would suggest using a Truncated Cone Flat Point bullet for your cartridges.  I have found they feed smoother than other bullet shapes.

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Deacon,

I can only tell you what my choice would be.  If you want to run the gun "box stock", and not modify it in any way, I would suggest the Miroku/Winchester.   Not because it is more reliable than the Uberti, but because it is more pleasant to shoot, (subjective opinion here), and can be run faster, (if you've a mind to), because of the shorter lever throw.  Feedback in this forum has been that generally the fit and finish is a bit nicer than the Uberti.  I can not speak personally to that, having seen only a few samples, I can only speak of those I've seen.  Be aware that if you shoot NCOWS, this rifle is not acceptable to them, as they consider it "short-stroked", and a competitive advantage over the Uberti.  

As for a load that runs smoothly and accurately, I would suggest using a Truncated Cone Flat Point bullet for your cartridges.  I have found they feed smoother than other bullet shapes.

Thank you. I generally run a RNFP in my Rossi, I will give the TC a try.

4 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Then I'll restate my opinion.   Get a Winchester made in Hartford Connecticut.   It'll cost a bit more, but you will never regret it.  Four digit price tag to be sure, but if you are patient you can still find one where the first number is a 1.   It'll be ugly as hell, but will still work just fine.   If you wanna commit to letting that first number be 2, that'll be easier to find, and you'll never regret it.  Yes, most of them are over 100 years of age now, or fast approaching it, but they are worth the expense.

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Then I'll restate my opinion.   Get a Winchester made in Hartford Connecticut.   It'll cost a bit more, but you will never regret it.  Four digit price tag to be sure, but if you are patient you can still find one where the first number is a 1.   It'll be ugly as hell, but will still work just fine.   If you wanna commit to letting that first number be 2, that'll be easier to find, and you'll never regret it.  Yes, most of them are over 100 years of age now, or fast approaching it, but they are worth the expense.

I already have many guns over 100 years old, so that doesn't bother me at all. Hmmm.....32-20 sounds fun...

Rats, just realized can't use .32...

I bough't my 1st Uberti 1873 rifle in 1987, mfrd in 1986, 2nd owner... 1st owner broke the extractor.  Sent back to Italy to be fixed.  1st owner lost confidence in it.  In 1994 I broke the extractor, replaced with new bolt & extractor.  Has not broken since... (as of today).

In 2009 I bought a Uberti Henry (new in box from importer).  No failures to date.

In 2014 I bought another Uberti 1873, (also new in box), it's now my main rifle for both cowboy & Wild Bunch, (except when using BP).  No failures to date.

Except for springs, mine are stock.  When I want to I can shoot stages in the mid - high 20s... but I seldom want to!  :P

35 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

+1 to Phantom on bullet profile. 

Deacon, are you new to toggle link actions vs 92s? They're a bit different in how the cartridge loads into the chamber.

Slim, I sure am. That's why before I spend hundreds of dollars, I am looking for advice!

Archived