SASS Wire Forum

sxs chamber cone[12 ga]

cajun bandit

I did a very conservative job w/ a 25 (which only took the inside edges off) ... which was OK but I wanted it wider ... and needed something larger ..

I couldn't find anything suitable so I used a wrapped golf ball .. (I wasn't brave enought to try anything cone shaped) ...  

Until I found a 40mm ball on Amazon ... ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XF6KBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I did a very conservative job w/ a 25 (which only took the inside edges off) ... which was OK but I wanted it wider ... and needed something larger ..

I couldn't find anything suitable so I used a wrapped golf ball .. (I wasn't brave enought to try anything cone shaped) ...  

Until I found a 40mm ball on Amazon ... ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XF6KBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I assumed the 40mm ball worked well?

43 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

I assumed the 40mm ball worked well?

It worked well for me. Gave me a better angle to go wider w/o going too deep. I would have never went that big had it not been for fooling around with the golf ball.

I think I have some photos .. hang on ....  

OK .. here you go ... Not the best quicky photos ... shows my dings and dirt .. hmmm ... but you get the idea 25/40 ... 

If you have a real cowboy shotgun gunsmith easily available I would use them. They have their routine down and proven/safe results. 

chamber25.jpg.5d3d6347ac9462a1f210ae3f2d3c80cf.jpg chamber40.jpg.cac9ea56454bb706ef7a72ff0a3fc5ab.jpg

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

OK .. here you go ... Not the best quicky photos ... shows my dings and dirt .. hmmm ... but you get the idea 25/40 ... 

If you have a real cowboy shotgun gunsmith easily available I would use them. They have their routine down and proven/safe results. 

chamber25.jpg.5d3d6347ac9462a1f210ae3f2d3c80cf.jpg chamber40.jpg.cac9ea56454bb706ef7a72ff0a3fc5ab.jpg

Keep in mind, once you "funnel" the breach, the shotgun is worthless to anyone but another CAS shooter.  "Other" shotgunners will consider it "trashed."  You also need to leave a fair portion of the cartridge rim shelf.

The pic on the right looks like the rim shelf was removed. May cause head space issues and therefore FTF's in my humble opinion. I believe replacing the extractor will restore that issue however.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The pic on the right looks like the rim shelf was removed. May cause head space issues and therefore FTF's in my humble opinion. I believe replacing the extractor will restore that issue however.

It may look that way (because of the poor lighting) but that is not the case at all. It has a 2006 serial number and I bought it off a cowboy swap table (Cowtown/Arizona) in 2008. If it ever fails to work I guess I will just send it back to Stoeger and ask for a replacement. Cowboy shotguns should last longer than that. 

I would think that most people understand that the rim of the shell has to sit somewhere ... or perhaps not. 

Just trying to respond to the OP topic.  

Put empty hulls in the chambers to protect the rim contact area.  Then use a Dremel VERY carefully to chamfer the exposed opening. You don’t have to remove much to achieve what you want; just break the sharp edge.  Polish the ground surface with 600 grit sandpaper over your fingertip, and finish with 4-0 steel wool or Flitz metal polish.  Or both.

Then practice.  Loading technique is actually more important than removing metal.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:07 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Keep in mind, once you "funnel" the breach, the shotgun is worthless to anyone but another CAS shooter.  "Other" shotgunners will consider it "trashed."  You also need to leave a fair portion of the cartridge rim shelf.

When I first started investigating CAS I saw a bss that had been cowboyed . 
A 20ga bss was my first upland game gun when I was a kid “still have it” , I just couldn’t bring myself to do that to a bss . Told a couple of my grouse hunting buddies what’s happening to all the browning and skb sxs’s out there they don’t understand :) . Everyone one has different needs/uses 

guess that’s why I ended up with a Chiappa 87 

+1 to Buckshot Bob.

About a month ago I walked into a pawn shop ans asked about any SKB SxS in stock. Clerk glanced up and saw my CAS t-shirt and said, "Let me guess what you are going to do with it."

He then went through the entire CAS SxS shotgun modifications without taking a breath.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, Patagonia Pete said:

... If it ever fails to work I guess I will just send it back to Stoeger and ask for a replacement. Cowboy shotguns should last longer than that. 

I would think that most people understand that the rim of the shell has to sit somewhere ... or perhaps not. 

Just trying to respond to the OP topic.  

The rim does have to sit somewhere, the problem is if that place moves deeper into the chamber due to funneling/grinding (removing the rim shelf), the head space increases and the firing pin can't engage the primer as deep, ie light hits on primer.

I would never ask Stoeger (or any other manuf.) for a replacement of a funneled double barrel.

didnt it come with a lifetime warranty ? really , in the big scheme of things , all jesting aside , we modify to fit our needs and woe to those that wander in blind or without foresight , im considderin this modification but ill think on it a bit before i actually do it , 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

didnt it come with a lifetime warranty ? really , in the big scheme of things , all jesting aside , we modify to fit our needs and woe to those that wander in blind or without foresight , im considderin this modification but ill think on it a bit before i actually do it , 

It’s up to the manufacture but typically most modifications void the warranty, most manufacturers even state reloaded ammunition voids the warranty. I’m guessing that’s 90% of cowboy shooters 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:45 AM, Buckshot Bob said:

It’s up to the manufacture but typically most modifications void the warranty, most manufacturers even state reloaded ammunition voids the warranty. I’m guessing that’s 90% of cowboy shooters 

Stoeger has been know to paint "unsafe to fire" on shotguns returned for repair that had CAS mods. I believe there was even a post on the wire about it. Ruger will remove lightened springs and return the gun to "stock."

Archived