SASS Wire Forum

How many states have a city named after them?

Alpo

You have New York City. You have Oklahoma City. These are both, as I understand it, fairly large towns.

We have a Florida City, but it's a little dinky place over on the Atlantic coast.

Any other states? Is there a Georgia City? A Texas City? A California City?

There is a Washington City, but it is on the Atlantic coast, not in the Pacific Northwet.

Texas City, Texas. 
41 miles south of Houston

Southwest shoreline of Galveston Bay

Deep water port on Texas’ Gulf Coast. 
Petroleum-refining and petrochemical manufacturing center. 

Colorado City is actually in Arizona. :D

There is a California,  PA.  In 2008 when we drove from CA to Gettysburg we saw a sign "California University of Pennsylvania. "  We were kind of punchy from several days on the road and got a kind of Twilight Zone feeling seeing that sign.  

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That list cain't be right. Everyone around here knows that Nevada (pronounced nuhvayduh) is in Missouri and Arkansas City (pronounced arKANsas) is in Kansas. :D 

25 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

There is a California,  PA.  In 2008 when we drove from CA to Gettysburg we saw a sign "California University of Pennsylvania. "  We were kind of punchy from several days on the road and got a kind of Twilight Zone feeling seeing that sign.  

California University (of PA)'s mascot is the Vulcans (the mythological god kind not the Sci-Fi kind). 

There's an Indiana, PA, too and it has a college in it, too. 

Both of them are in the Division III Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference  https://psacsports.org/ with that legendary football powerhouse Slippery Rock.:D

6 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

California University (of PA)'s mascot is the Vulcans (the mythological god kind not the Sci-Fi kind). 

Both of them are in the Division III Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference  https://psacsports.org/ with that legendary football powerhouse Slippery Rock.:D

When we stopped to fuel we asked about it.  But until we had it explained we were trying to figure out how and why there was a University of California extension in Pennsylvania. 

I have a city named after me.  Looneyville. 

It is a small farming community northwest of Nacogdoches.

Oh...and yes, there is a Texas City, down along the Gulf Coast. They had a famous explosion there in the earlier part of the 20th century, that killed a lot of folks.  Lots of refineries in Texas City.

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

There is Missouri City, MO and Kansas City, KS

But, Missouri City is in Texas, Go Figure

2 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Ohio City, Ohio

I just found out about that! Cool!B)

There's a neighborhood in Cleveland that calls it self Ohio City but it's a nickname not a real city it's just Cleveland.

6 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

That list cain't be right. Everyone around here knows that Nevada (pronounced nuhvayduh) is in Missouri and Arkansas City (pronounced arKANsas) is in Kansas. :D 

There's a Cairo, Illinois, pronounced KAYro.  Pronunciatins vary all across the land.  Buena, Washington, pronounced Byoo-enna.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Just south of me is the thriving metropolis of Madrid, Alabama.  It is pronounced MAD Rid.  We also have Eutaw, Alabama.  No kin to Utah.

Don't start confusing them with all of the Creek place names in Alabama.  Opelika dislocates their tongues so I'd hate to see what kind of butchery they'd do to Notasulga or Loachapoka- much less something really complicated. 

Back when I was a trucker, I got a mite turned around in Oklahoma.  I pulled over at a little gas station, bought a Coke and asked the nice lady inside if I was headed in the right direction by naming off the route from town to town I had planned. 

She stared at me in shock for a second before answering.  Apparently, I was on the Creek Nation and I amazed her because I had actually pronounced all of the town names correctly.

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

19 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

There's also a Mars, PA. It's  way out...:P

Other Missouri cities with state names include California, Louisiana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

24 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

I was born in Oregon City, OR.  Don't know what else it is famous for.

The last stop on "The Oregon Trail"

No Wisconsin City, WI.   It is pronounced wi  SCON sin.  Not wis CON sin.  I don't care what Webster says.   We do have Rome, Athens and Belgium.  Home to bratwurst, cheese curds and beer farts.  We also have numerous cities/villages with names that are unpronounceable to anyone from out of state because many were named from Indian chiefs or other native american descriptions.  Names like Minoqua, Weyauwega, Oconomowoc, and Ashwabenon where the Packers are really located. 

Archived