SASS Wire Forum

Printers

Alpo

I used to be in business for myself. I used a printer a lot. Then I retired.

4 or 5 years later I attempted to print a document and discovered that the ink had dried up.

Three or four years ago a store emailed me a coupon. All I had to do was print it out and take it to the store, blah blah blah. I emailed them back. I asked them to please mail me a coupon, as I did not have a printer. Actually I did have a printer, but buying a $20 ink cartridge to print out a coupon to save $5 did not seem like a wise plan.

Recently I needed to return something to Amazon. They directed me to a link where I could print a return label. Again I requested they send me an actual label as I did not have a printer.

This got me to wondering how many people still have a printer, and what do you use it for?

My first printer (early 90s) was a dot matrix. Probably (if I could find it) the ribbons would still work.

It appears that occasionally - maybe once a year - I would have the need to print something. Since the inkjet cartridges dry out, is there a better way to have a printer that works if used occasionally? Would the toner still work with a laser printer (do they still make laser printers?)

We use ours mostly for printing recipes and shopping lists.  I'll print out maps to places I've going to for the first time - I can print them  big and then tape it to the dashboard.

My wife prints confirmation of payments.  

We both print out owners manuals.

About that amazon shipping label....  you have the email on some portable device like a phone? There should be a QR code in the email, show that to the UPS shipper. They will print a label for you.

i print recipes so that I can mark them up with my notes or changes.

i print labels for some thing that I make.

i have printed a few pictures that I have taken.

For Amazon returns they email me a QR code. I take the item and the code ( on my smart phone screen) to UPS without packaging the item. I hand them the item, they scan the code and put the door I go. They package it and send it back. Easy stuff!

We do still use a printer, actually my wife does. She prints things she wants to keep, pictures, letters, etc. 

I steer myself and all my clients away from ink jet printers, for the reasons you describe above.
The per-page print cost of ink jets is the highest cost of all.

Brother makes wonderful B&W laser printers in all flavors.
Toner/Drum replacement costs are far less than ink-jet.
Brother also gives you a prepaid mailer and box to send the used cartridge back to them.

Print quality is very high... typical for a laser.

If you need color prints fast, use Walmart.
These are printed by a huge roll feed printer, but are still ink-jet types.
If you want the best quality, take the slow service (7 days) as these are printed on photo paper.

Laserjet is the way to go if you rarely print things or you only need B&W prints.  The toner is much cheaper per page than an inkjet and it doesn't dry out like ink jet does.

If you've just got to do your own color printing, ...

The office supply places always seem to have a cheap inkjet printer on sale for $40-50.  Pick a brand and buy 2 (what brand sells a whole set of ink cartridges for $40?).  Set one up, pull the starter ink out of the second and get rid of it (donate it to Goodwill, sell it on eBay, ...).  Keep buying printers instead of ink until they do away with your chosen model.

I print shipping labels, recipes, historical documents, medical records. Lots of stuff. It's also a scanner, that comes in very handy.

I go through about a ream a month.  Well, I was, anyway, before we got shut down and I was doing a bunch of stuff for Scouts.  Also, one of my writing classes requires a copy of every submission for every person in the class to critique.

The HP Office Jet has been a workhorse.  But, as Smuteye John alluded to above, ink cartridges can be a mite pricey.  Actually, at about a hundred bucks for a set, a bit more than a mite.

But I made a discovery!

Amazon sells aftermarket ink cartridges (link below) for my Office Jet for under $20~!  I decided to try 'em, and was pleasantly surprised - they worked and not only worked well, they actually seem to have substantially more ink than the "official" cartridges!  When first installed the printer warns me that they "ain't the real thing."  I ignore the warning and just hit the "proceed" button and print away for a looong time.

The only issue I've had was once when I didn't use the printer for a few months and the "jets" sorta dried and clogged up.  A bit of warm water cleaned 'em right up and I was off and running.  I've had the same experience with the high-priced "official" models.

Here's a link - they're the ones with the monkey.  ^_^

Printer Cartridges

Laser color printer toner cartridges can  be expensive as you need four...black, cyan, magenta and yellow.  If you don't do much color, then they do have black only laser printers.  The printers are relatively cheap.  It's the toner cartridges that are pricy, but you can get the generic at less cost.  I've long use HP laser printers, but I use the Pro M452dn for business and personal all the time.

Last printer/Scanner I bought was from WalMart, was under $25.00, a Cannon Pixma 2522, I looked at refill cartridges and they would cost around $85.00 for the XL version. When the ink runs out I'll go and buy what ever version they have on sale for under $30.00

I bought a b&w laser printer because I was tired of the toner cartridges drying out. I often print horse PPs so I can use them figuring out bets. I sometimes print maps and coupons. The printer has paid for itself by not having to buy expensive toner frequently.

My pick is HP. For years I used inkjet so I could print photos. I must have wasted thousands over the years on replacing dried up inkjet cartridges!

I currently use an HP laser printer/scanner/copier/fax. The cost per page dropped dramatically. And they don't dry up. Mine uses four cartridges (color) and the printer tells me how many pages I have left until one or more is empty. I will never go back to ink.

One of my clients was a production manager for Dell.
He told me that ink-jet was a huge profit margin for them.

They literally give away the printers, so they can sell the proprietary ink cartridges.
$0.50 mfg cost, and $30 retail price is a stunning mark-up.

Ink-jets have one advantage:  a new print head with each new cartridge.
Refills use the same print head over and over again...
Some work fine, others not so well.

Ink jets also have a "cleaning well" where the cartridge parks.
Look in there with a bright light... after awhile, this is dirtier than a teenage boy's bedroom.

2 minutes ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

My pick is HP. For years I used inkjet so I could print photos. I must have wasted thousands over the years on replacing dried up inkjet cartridges!

I currently use an HP laser printer/scanner/copier/fax. The cost per page dropped dramatically. And they don't dry up. Mine uses four cartridges (color) and the printer tells me how many pages I have left until one or more is empty. I will never go back to ink.

I've been using Canon all-in-one laser printers, as have my partners, for about 7 years; no failures and no pricey service calls.  A full set of toner cartridges cost about $500 ( 2 black, and 1 each of magenta, yellow and blue).  I could count on 2 sets a year, but that was full production.  I don't expect that I'll need to replace them more than 1x a year now that I've taken the shingle down; probably less.

Great machine.  Scan all the incoming bills and such, and you have a digital copy that you are unlikely to lose.  Print the family pics in color.  Print targets.  Fax if needed.  Compact, dependable, lots of paper storage.  No dried out or powder-leaking cartridges.  And wirelessly networked to all of our laptops and PCs.

LL

I hardly print out anyhting anymore, mostly the apps for 3 day shoots, I download them and send it to Office Depot/Office Max and for 15 cents a copy I have them do it. I have a printer that a friend gave me but I haven't hooked it up yet. In the meantime Office Max is fine!

My wife prints a tremendous amount of papers, pictures and etc., for her garden club, Herb society and Iris society,.

She makes a book of evidence every year using our printer.  I switched to an Epson econo-tank printer as soon as they came out, and they charge for the printer up front and the ink is cheap.  It prints good quality print and color photographs.  After almost two years the original printer malfunctioned.  Epson customer service determined that it was still in warranty and sent me a new printer.  I call that excellent customer service!

Duffield

The rubber feed rollers can get hard with age, and lose their stickiness.
You can wipe these down with alcohol or 409 to remove the glaze and/or goo.
Note: alcohol accelerates the wheels drying out, but I do it anyway.
Also, look carefully in the paper path for scraps of paper left over from a bad jam.

Many printers have a removable back panel with more rollers and rubber driving wheels.
Some printers do not like a mostly empty paper bin.
Keep it full, and fluff the new ream of paper before putting it in the drawer.

And.. some machines just plain suck.
If it was good... and is now Not Good, look at the feed rolls.

I was really surprised when I discovered that my HP would do 2-sided printing.  Wow... what a paper saver THAT feature has been!!  ^_^

Like a couple others said, we have an Epson 2500 series printer.  Huge ink tanks.  Printer was pricey compared to others but as has been said, they sell the printers at cost and make their money on ink cartridges.  I did the HP cartridge thing for years.  Even bought the aftermarket fill your cartridge kits.  Not very effective.  Wife prints off a ton of recipes, soap making stuff and projects for the grand kids.  I use the printer at work.  Color laser printer.

Archived