SASS Wire Forum

Old News Item from 1995

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Howdy pards: Ran across this old article from March 1996 Cowboy Chronicle.

Titled as Durango Junction 1995 High Country Shootout

See attached & enjoy.

Image_(5).bmp Image_(6).bmp

That was a great shoot in a beautiful part of the country. I shot the match in 1991 (5th place behind Durango Kid, Tutler, Flint Westwood and Tex), then again in 1992, but I won't talk about the results:D

39 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

That was a great shoot in a beautiful part of the country. I shot the match in 1991 (5th place behind Durango Kid, Tutler, Flint Westwood and Tex), then again in 1992, but I won't talk about the results:D

Wyatt, seeing your post reminds me...

In about 2000 I was at a Travis County Regulators match, about an hour east of Austin, and a new shooter came with the alias Wyatt Earp.  Huh?  I think he had come over from the Houston area.  Older fellow (well, older than me at the time.  60'ish, gray).  I asked him if he was a SASS member and how long he had had that alias and he said he just recently got it.  He said he called SASS and asked, and was surprised that it was available.  ( I didn't know about you and figured maybe someone had died ).  This guy was dressed to the nines, including frock coat.  I recall his holsters were made of sting ray!  He was not a very good shooter, slow and missed a lot.  Anyways, I never saw nor heard of him again!  Strange.

20 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Wyatt, seeing your post reminds me...

In about 2000 I was at a Travis County Regulators match, about an hour east of Austin, and a new shooter came with the alias Wyatt Earp.  Huh?  I think he had come over from the Houston area.  Older fellow (well, older than me at the time.  60'ish, gray).  I asked him if he was a SASS member and how long he had had that alias and he said he just recently got it.  He said he called SASS and asked, and was surprised that it was available.  ( I didn't know about you and figured maybe someone had died ).  This guy was dressed to the nines, including frock coat.  I recall his holsters were made of sting ray!  He was not a very good shooter, slow and missed a lot.  Anyways, I never saw nor heard of him again!  Strange.

Cue spooky music.  

Abilene,

His story may well be true. When I started in 1989 there was a Wyatt Earp with a SASS number in the 400's. I would check periodically to see if the alias was available to no avail. I eventually settled on Tombstone Wyatt after starting as Josh Randall. Then, in 2015 I inquired and the alias was available, so I took it. This other fella may have gotten lucky in 2000 and kept the alias until 2015 when he apparently quit SASS, passed away, or whatever. So, I guess I'm Wyatt Earp #3.:D

Archived