SASS Wire Forum

How I load Percussion Revolvers

J-BAR #18287

We frequently have posts about loading percussion revolvers.  Unfortunately Frontiersmen suffer from the impression that it takes so long to load cap guns that Frontiersmen don't do their share of posse chores.   It seems like no one wants to be on a posse with a lot of Frontiersmen!!

I have been asked how long it takes to load my percussion revolvers.  I did not know, so I timed myself and made a video.

Using the procedure in this video, my guns function well, don't foul out, don't require cleaning between stages, and I can work on every stage.  I offer it not as the perfect way to do things, but just as "what works for me", and perhaps to stimulate some thinking among those who struggle with loading percussion guns.

For those who want to skip the video, it shows how I can load two cap and ball revolvers in a bit less than 4 minutes with the cylinders on the gun, and a bit less than 5 minutes using a separate press and lube wads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDHrO29fwM

Awesome video, I've never timed myself but I know I have never had any issues with loading my cap guns and pulling posse duty. I even take my turn running the timer. Yeah you can have Frontiersmen that play the can't pull duty stuff. I have seen a few, but 99 out of 100 get it done and share duty, and if you have a small posse you might not have time to pull full duty but you can still do something. Time when you shoot and no issues. I like to shoot close to the beginning.

Rafe

4-5 minutes for two 1851s loaded on a stand, with homemade wads, usually done at the unloading table.

I may add a minute midway through the match to swab out the nipples with a pipecleaner.

59 minutes ago, John Boy said:

If you shoot Frontiersman occasionally, it will hold up for a little while. If you shoot Frontiersman regularly, it won’t. The weak spot is the post/base connection for the cylinder. 

I included the loading stand segment in the video just for comparison.  I have never used a stand to load (OK Griff, “charge”!) my guns at a match since I started using percussion revolvers about 18 years ago.  The Tower of Power in the video was part of a package deal  I bought from Yul Lose.  You saw the first time I have ever used it in the video!  So I have no opinion on different loading stands, other than I don’t use them.

When to shoot?  I’d say do what you like.  I can’t always be at the unloading table because we have some shooters at our nearby clubs that need to sit down more than I do.  When they take over the unloading table, I do other chores.  Usually I like to shoot near the end of the posse.  I can spot or shag brass or run the timer for most of the shooters while figuring out how I want to shoot the stage.  Then I can get at least one revolver recharged while the posse moves to the next stage, listen to the scenario reading,  and then I can finish the second revolver while the first shooter is on the stage.  That way I am available to relieve any worker who wants to go shoot, and work most of the stage until it’s time for me to ride drag.  Not saying anyone else should do it this way, it just works for me.

Takes me 3 or 4 shooters to reload both of my 1860s. Load on the gun with a homemade stand.

My Stand

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.bd226d5a900bfd819d06e2c54e02c75d.JPG

Bottom drawer for balls

Middle drawer for wrenches, cap seater, nipple prick, etc. 

Top is a fake drawer front to close in the open top. This is where I keep the powder flask, Lube, and anything else too big for the drawers.

Rope handle is offset so that when carried the drawers don't open.

Behind the pistol you can just see the holder for a syringe filled with grease. It has a plastic tip that I can insert into the cylinder and put grease on top of the ball.

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.9de76f08dbe4871db2b7f12ebdea5a8b.JPG

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I included the loading stand segment in the video just for comparison.  I have never used a stand to load (OK Griff, “charge”!) my guns at a match since I started using percussion revolvers about 18 years ago.  The Tower of Power in the video was part of a package deal  I bought from Yul Lose.  You saw the first time I have ever used it in the video!  So I have no opinion on different loading stands, other than I don’t use them.

When to shoot?  I’d say do what you like.  I can’t always be at the unloading table because we have some shooters at our nearby clubs that need to sit down more than I do.  When they take over the unloading table, I do other chores.  Usually I like to shoot near the end of the posse.  I can spot or shag brass or run the timer for most of the shooters while figuring out how I want to shoot the stage.  Then I can get at least one revolver recharged while the posse moves to the next stage, listen to the scenario reading,  and then I can finish the second revolver while the first shooter is on the stage.  That way I am available to relieve any worker who wants to go shoot, and work most of the stage until it’s time for me to ride drag.  Not saying anyone else should do it this way, it just works for me.

Thought that looked familiar.

7 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I like to have a relaxed Posse with 15 shooters.

It works best if 13 of the 15 are J-Bars. He seems to be everywhere doing everything necessary for good posse operation.

Archived