SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa Lever Action 12 Gauge shotgun

Brian Wilson

Is the Chiappa Lever action shotgun made in Italy? In addition to that, " Where can I buy a new Chiappa shotgun for the cheapest price? " I realize that most places that sell this gun and others guns will be out of stock. Finally, any help will be highly appreciated! Thank you.

Howdy Brian,

Yes, Italy.

Your second question, where is it the cheapest, is EMF.  Why?  Because they list it at $1465 versus Taylors who list it at $1480.  How's that?  Seriously, it is an expensive gun, moreso after getting worked on.  Taylors lists it as out of stock, not sure about EMF.  Put a want ad in the Classifieds.  There's always cowboys gettijng old or passing and gear available.  And like Kid Rich said, contact Lassiter in Ohio, he's a guru on these and may have a line on some for you.

If i'm not mistaken Lassiter is a chiappa dealler. But anywho he's going to have the best price on a new one already slicked up and ready to shoot. I'm not sure if the ones from the importers like EMF or Taylors is going to have the drop two mod already in it. if it doesnt then you're going to pay another $300 to get it done on top of the $1400 or so you're paying for it anyway. They arent as nice to look at but you can get a new century arms pw 87 for about $400 and pay the $300 to get it worked over and ready for CAS. That's the route I went. I put the brass tacks on to distract people from the ugly MADE IN CHINA stamped on the receiver. 

1887.jpg

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Contact Lassiter, Tom's single action shop.

kR

2nd this , got mine from him rtg , I thought the price was very fair 

Tom’s Single Action Shop

Wildenauer, Thomas J

675 Crawford Tom's Run Rd
New Lebanon, OH 45345
Phone: 9376871039

• I bought mine directly from Lassiter too.  He is a Chiappa dealer and I think he was influential in Chiappa offer the drop two out of the box.

I love my Chiappa 87.   I did find the recoil to be a little "flippy" when fired, but it was not excessive or painful in any way.   I even shot the match clean with it as a part of the pictured battery.

1548926450_CleanandSilly.thumb.JPG.0963fea4a7cdb1bc4ddad8e96badc77f.JPG

I had fun that day.  The gun is very well made, is as smooth as my real Winchester, and digested modern 2.75" shells with no problems.   And it's real pretty to look at.  I only wish that they made a long barrel version with a full choke.   It's either short barrel with no choke, or long barrel with screw in chokes.   I hate screw in chokes.   Now get off my lawn

On 8/22/2020 at 8:21 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Howdy Brian,

Yes, Italy.

Your second question, where is it the cheapest, is EMF.  Why?  Because they list it at $1465 versus Taylors who list it at $1480.  How's that?  Seriously, it is an expensive gun, moreso after getting worked on.  Taylors lists it as out of stock, not sure about EMF.  Put a want ad in the Classifieds.  There's always cowboys gettijng old or passing and gear available.  And like Kid Rich said, contact Lassiter in Ohio, he's a guru on these and may have a line on some for you.

Hello,

I did find one for 1100.00 dollars however, not in stock. I can contact Mr. Lassiter to see on what he is charging for a lever action shotgun. Thank you for answer ing my questions. 

23 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

If i'm not mistaken Lassiter is a chiappa dealler. But anywho he's going to have the best price on a new one already slicked up and ready to shoot. I'm not sure if the ones from the importers like EMF or Taylors is going to have the drop two mod already in it. if it doesnt then you're going to pay another $300 to get it done on top of the $1400 or so you're paying for it anyway. They arent as nice to look at but you can get a new century arms pw 87 for about $400 and pay the $300 to get it worked over and ready for CAS. That's the route I went. I put the brass tacks on to distract people from the ugly MADE IN CHINA stamped on the receiver. 

1887.jpg

Hello. I heard that I should contact Mr. Lassiter since he is the go to guy for shotguns. The drop 2 mod on top of the Chiappa cost is expensive and that is true. I figured the cost of the drop 2 would be over $200.00.  In matter of fact, I bought a PW-87 in May of this year. At that point I took my shotgun to a gunsmith to have the action smoothed up. Due to the virus there has a large backlog of work, thus I am still waiting for the work to get done. I am hoping to get my shotgun back maybe in October 2020. Eventually I will get the made in China removed and re-blued. Finally, your PW-87 with the drop 2 mod is cool. I bet you make those shells fly at the cowboy matches. I appreciate the info. Thank you. 

23 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

2nd this , got mine from him rtg , I thought the price was very fair 

Tom’s Single Action Shop

Wildenauer, Thomas J

675 Crawford Tom's Run Rd
New Lebanon, OH 45345
Phone: 9376871039

I appreciate the contact info. Thank you. I like that the price is fair thus I will have to give him a call. 

11 minutes ago, Brian Wilson said:

Hello. I heard that I should contact Mr. Lassiter since he is the go to guy for shotguns. The drop 2 mod on top of the Chiappa cost is expensive and that is true. I figured the cost of the drop 2 would be over $200.00.  In matter of fact, I bought a PW-87 in May of this year. At that point I took my shotgun to a gunsmith to have the action smoothed up. Due to the virus there has a large backlog of work, thus I am still waiting for the work to get done. I am hoping to get my shotgun back maybe in October 2020. Eventually I will get the made in China removed and re-blued. Finally, your PW-87 with the drop 2 mod is cool. I bet you make those shells fly at the cowboy matches. I appreciate the info. Thank you. 

oh bud wish you had asked hear sooner. having all the work done in one place would probably saved a good deal of money. I wish I could make this thing sing but sadly i'm still just mediocre with it. I've been running it for about 6 months steady and i'm only a hair quicker with it than my hammered double. 

23 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

oh bud wish you had asked hear sooner. having all the work done in one place would probably saved a good deal of money. I wish I could make this thing sing but sadly i'm still just mediocre with it. I've been running it for about 6 months steady and i'm only a hair quicker with it than my hammered double. 

I read that by smoothing the action would improve the performance of the PW-87. Thus, due to finances I figured that would be my first step. Furthermore, I figure in a couple of months I can save the $300.00 dollars to have the drop 2 mod done. I do have a question," Does the drop 2 mod negate using the shotgun shells out of the shotgun tube?" In addition to that,  I have also seen the ultimate mod for the 1887 clone on Coyote Cap`s website. I guess this mod would cost maybe $500-$800.00? dollars and probably only a handful of people are capable of doing that. Check it out. Hopefully in the near future I can get my gun back so i can do some target shooting wit my RST 2.5 inch shells.  Lastly, I figure in time and practice that you will improve the speed on shooting that cool shotgun. Finally, I appreciate your comments and your input. Thank you.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:39 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I love my Chiappa 87.   I did find the recoil to be a little "flippy" when fired, but it was not excessive or painful in any way.   I even shot the match clean with it as a part of the pictured battery.

1548926450_CleanandSilly.thumb.JPG.0963fea4a7cdb1bc4ddad8e96badc77f.JPG

I had fun that day.  The gun is very well made, is as smooth as my real Winchester, and digested modern 2.75" shells with no problems.   And it's real pretty to look at.  I only wish that they made a long barrel version with a full choke.   It's either short barrel with no choke, or long barrel with screw in chokes.   I hate screw in chokes.   Now get off my lawn

I have to say Chiappa is a very nice lever action shotgun. In matter of fact, your collection is very cool as well. Have a good one.

3 hours ago, Brian Wilson said:

I read that by smoothing the action would improve the performance of the PW-87. Thus, due to finances I figured that would be my first step. Furthermore, I figure in a couple of months I can save the $300.00 dollars to have the drop 2 mod done. I do have a question," Does the drop 2 mod negate using the shotgun shells out of the shotgun tube?" In addition to that,  I have also seen the ultimate mod for the 1887 clone on Coyote Cap`s website. I guess this mod would cost maybe $500-$800.00? dollars and probably only a handful of people are capable of doing that. Check it out. Hopefully in the near future I can get my gun back so i can do some target shooting wit my RST 2.5 inch shells.  Lastly, I figure in time and practice that you will improve the speed on shooting that cool shotgun. Finally, I appreciate your comments and your input. Thank you.

Id have to look into that ultimate mod but I don't think it'd be that expensive. As for Smith's that can do the drop 2 there's only a handful. Lassiter and coyote cap are the 2 primary go to folks for it. I know on my pw87 I can not load the mag tube after having the drop 2 mod done. Well I can but it takes way more effort than it's worth. But when Lassiter does the drop 2 he smooths everything out. A lot of it has to be done to make it work correctly with the drop 2. 

Archived