SASS Wire Forum

Cap Guns at only my second match ever

Whiskey Hicks

I went with two Pietta Navy's as they were within my budget for starting off.  I've been learning a little bit at a time about loading, firing, and cleaning.  I've even taught myself to make paper cartridges now that I've fired at another cowboy's home range set up.  

I'm concerned this coming weekend about not keeping up on posse duties or taking too long to reload.  I'm really self-conscious about being a nuisance or annoying to fellow cowboys as a new shooter.

Any tips to keep myself moving along?  Six Gun Seamus recommended running the loading table so I could reload myself between stages.  I already know I should fire off caps on the cylinder unloaded to burn off any excess moisture or lube before match start.  I already plan on having enough paper cartridges made up ahead of time to get through six stages and then some.  I've got a loading stand coming on Monday ((If the USPS doesn't continue this godawful trend they've been on)).

Much appreciated any and all help you pards have already given me.

Whiskey Hicks

Edit: Should I be worried about cleaning before the match is over?

Why would you clean before the match is over? If you mean can your guns do a whole match without a teardown, there is no way to know until you shoot. I can do a 6 stage match without cleaning my '51's, but I use a lot of lube over the ball.

If you're going to watch a table watch the UNLOADING table. Try to shoot as close to last as you can; there's usually a little time between stages if you've practiced enough to do it efficiently. 

Once you set your routine it will go quickly loading for the next stage. I clear my nipples with a nipple pick and load my guns for a shoot the night before. If you are brand new shooting C&B revolvers I would not work the unloading table while reloading your revolvers. To much interference to learn a routine at the unloading table. I used to reload at my cart at first and that worked out just fine. Welcome to the C& B side of CAS. Some suggest buying enough cylinders but not only cost but time cleaning twelve cylinders did not make sense too me. DC

I looked for you at OVV today, but you evidently did not go.
If you come to Tusco in September, get yourself on my posse, and between Coffinmaker & me, we'll help you alot.

--Dawg 

4 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

If you come to Tusco in September, get yourself on my posse, and between Coffinmaker & me, we'll help you alot.

--Dawg 

Working today, but I’ll be at Brown next weekend.

You'll find the paper cartridges will speed up loading a fair amount. Dont sweat how fast you are at loading or even how much of the chores you're helping the posse with. Post up at the unloading table and get them filled up and shoot near the end as mentioned. Just remember that you cant put the caps on until you're at the loading table. As for cleaning them, if you're using real black powder you have nothing to worry about and can get them cleaned up once you get home. Especially if you use ample amounts of lube. I always liked using a lubed wad under the ball and a dab of crisco or bore butter over the first and last ball. It helps keep the fouling soft. Keep a rag handy at your cart and just wipe off the cylinders and frame after each stage and they should get you through the day with no problems. busting caps before the first loading of the day isnt a bad idea. If I didnt do that I'd use a patch to make sure each chamber was dry and run a nipple pick through each one before loading the first time. I learned that the hard way. Best of luck and i'm sure i'll see ya at Brown eventually but not this time I'll be at work. 

I won't see ya until Tusco.

I'm going to Sandusky's Wild Bunch shoot next Saturday (http://www.ourcowboys.org/).

FWIW, I load up the guns on Friday for Saturday's shoot, because, once I get to the range, there's always pre-shoot work to do.

For the Friday loading, I use cornmeal filler between the powder & bullet, and lube over the bullet.

I don't worry about the powder becoming fouled, & it's ready to go on Saturday.

And, I can snap caps at my leisure, & make sure everything functions properly.

During the shoot, I use a lubed wad between the powder & ball.

Since I take the guns down to load them, I wipe the cylinder face, barrel forcing cone, and the arbor & water table on the frame -- makes the guns function better.
I also run a bore snake thru the barrel

Loading them takes 2-3 shooters while I watch the unloading table.

--Dawg

Take both cartridge guns and your C&B guns.

If the posse has 13 or more people shoot your Cap guns, if not shoot your cartridge guns. With just a little practice you'll be able to work the unloading table and still get your guns reloaded in the time it takes 3 to 4 shooters to shoot the stage.

Try to not shoot dead last. This way you have time to charge cylinders.

Best to shoot very close to the front or at least 4 from the end.  

Shoot your cap guns all you want.   It’s your game too.  If you come back to the posse when you are done getting things taken care of, I will never get upset or annoyed with a c&b shooter.  It is the folks that just flat disappear from any duties.  Just talk with your posse marshal, communication goes a long way.

I will take Sedalia Dave's advice one step forward, take a pair of conversion cylinders with you for those times that you worry about c&b being to hectic!  I know many here will poo poo this big time BUT I frequently went happily along my way using APP instead of the real black and it actually made things a tad easier since the lard concoctions were eliminated, it made its own lubricant.  

If you talked about shooting BP in your rifle and shotgun I missed it, but if you're not, you don't need to sign up as a frontiersman.  Go cowboy or wrangler or duelist or whatever.  That way, if you get feeling overwhelmed and say, "Fellas, I'm done," I expect you will find yourself up to your elbows in loaner guns and ammunition.  

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you're going to watch a table watch the UNLOADING table. Try to shoot as close to last as you can; there's usually a little time between stages if you've practiced enough to do it efficiently. 

That's what I did when I shot my cap guns.Just don't forget where you are in the loading process!

5 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg 

You can't wrong there

15 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I went with two Pietta Navy's as they were within my budget for starting off.  I've been learning a little bit at a time about loading, firing, and cleaning.  I've even taught myself to make paper cartridges now that I've fired at another cowboy's home range set up.  

I'm concerned this coming weekend about not keeping up on posse duties or taking too long to reload.  I'm really self-conscious about being a nuisance or annoying to fellow cowboys as a new shooter.

Any tips to keep myself moving along?  Six Gun Seamus recommended running the loading table so I could reload myself between stages.  I already know I should fire off caps on the cylinder unloaded to burn off any excess moisture or lube before match start.  I already plan on having enough paper cartridges made up ahead of time to get through six stages and then some.  I've got a loading stand coming on Monday ((If the USPS doesn't continue this godawful trend they've been on)).

Much appreciated any and all help you pards have already given me.

Whiskey Hicks

Edit: Should I be worried about cleaning before the match is over?

I never snap a cap before loading my C&B pistols or cylinders. The nite before a shoot I blow the excess Ballistol out of each nipple with a compressor then run a dry patch thru each cylinder. I have had debris from snapping caps stay in the nipples and create problems. You also do not remove any excess lube from the cylinder by snapping a cap so you can get the powder contaminated by lube.

kR

4 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I never snap a cap before loading my C&B pistols or cylinders. The nite before a shoot I blow the excess Ballistol out of each nipple with a compressor then run a dry patch thru each cylinder. I have had debris from snapping caps stay in the nipples and create problems. You also do not remove any excess lube from the cylinder by snapping a cap so you can get the powder contaminated by lube.

kR

I use a can of compressed air with the long nozzle attached.  Insert it into the nipple and give each one a short blast of air.

Two definitions are in order:

Charging = the act of putting powder, wad (if used), ball and lube in each chamber of your cylinder.

Loading = the act of placing caps on the nipples of each charged chamber.

Charging is allowed pretty much anywhere at all of the ranges I've been to.  Loading can ONLY be done at the loading table.

Get some aftermarket nipples, I happen to like Slix-Shot.  They're far more consistent in size & ignition than factory ones.  They fit Remington #10 caps perfectly.  When I first install them or after each cleaning, I put a dab of grease on the threads... never torque them down TIGHT.  just snug.  I don't tear down my guns during a one day match.  Only after the end of the day's shooting.  A stand that holds the gun upright will go a LONG way to improving the speed and consistency of your charging.  I work the unloading table for 3-4 shooters while I charge.  sometimes on a large posse, I'll be told to just do it at my cart, and then I'll either spot, score or TO for part of the posse.

I like to shoot early in the posse, then recharge those 5 chambers while working the unloading table.  I use lubed wads over the powder, and use a measured spout on my small flask.  Make sure your round balls have a ring of lead cut from them as their seated.  This ensures a tight seal and eliminates the need for lube over the ball.   Some folks still like the lube as an extra measure of protection.  I use a product called "Bore Butter" on my arbor when assembling the pistol.  I've always found it to still be there and doing its job at the end of a full day of shooting.  It'll be black, not yellow, but still pliable and easily cleaned off at the end of the day.  Then I re-apply when assembling the gun again, in prep for the next days' shooting.

Good luck with your first shoot.  Don't worry too much about being super helpful with posse chores.  It'll come in time and experience.  Allow those other folk's comments to roll off your back.  You're there to have a good time.  Take the advice of more seasoned c&b'ers to heart.  The more the merrier!

14 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

That's what I did when I shot my cap guns.Just don't forget where you are in the loading process!

I actually like to shoot 1st. Gives me plenty of time to load 2-3 shooters and I'm done,  I like to load on the gun, but I  have taken the cylinder out and loaded. 

Rafe 

17 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

I aways listen to my gut but I do not always obey.  This is the reason it is now hollering at me "I told you not to eat that can of 'HOT' Hormel Chile that I had fer supper!

Must be the after effects....Or sound effects....

Texas Lizard

Archived