SASS Wire Forum

Dimensions of 357 158 grain bullets

bgavin

Can anybody post the bullet OAL and nose-to-crimp measurements?

I shoot Ringer's bullets and Missouri, both in Hi-Tek.

I'm interested in LRNFP type in 158 grains.

I think what John Boy meant was, all 158 grain LRNFP bullets are not the same length, so if you want meaningful info you should contact the caster you want to deal with.

OK, you might want to know that a 357, 158gr bullet length is the same as a 38 Spl 158gr bullet.  The difference is a 357 case is longer  ... length Is 1.559 and a 38Spl case is 1.555”. The same bullet is used in both calibers

Again, Why do you need to know the bullet length?

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

OK, you might want to know that a 357, 158gr bullet length is the same as a 38 Spl 158gr bullet.  The difference is a 357 case is longer  ... length Is 1.559 and a 38Spl case is 1.555”. The same bullet is used in both calibers

Again, Why do you need to know the bullet length?

I will spell it out for you:

I want to know the length of the bullet for twist calculations at various FPS velocities.
I want to know the seated depth of the bullet, for case volume calculations.
I did not ask about COAL or Trim dimensions because those are published.
Of course, the same bullet is used in 38SP vs 357 loads.

If I did cast my own 158 grain LRNFP bullets, I would measure them instead of asking here.
I do not cast my own bullets, so I asked those who have 158 grain LRNFP, because I don't stock any of these, and don't want to buy a sample pack.

Yep.
One of the dimensions required to calculate twist is the length of the bullet.
This is why I asked the question about bullet length and nose-to-crimp dimensions.

In 2005, Don Miller published his work on twist calculations, with all the underlying math.
I use the JBM Ballistics calculator, which is based extensively on the Miller equations.

Not sure how picky your formula is, but like I said, all LRNFP 158 grain .357 bullets are not the exact same length, as there are different renditions of RNFP. I assume none of this is SASS related.

My thoughts are for long range side matches.
Here in CA, the air pollution from the fires is at the "cancer in 20 years" level, so I'm cabin bound.
I enjoy the mental exercise of figuring this stuff out.

Speer publishes full specs for their bullets, Hornady does not.
There is very little published info on cast lead bullets, so I asked here.

So far, Two Shoots has given me some useful info.
He uses Chey-Cast bullets, and his 158 gr LRNFP is 0.647" long, with a cannelure at 0.283" from the nose.

Archived