SASS Wire Forum

Lost pard

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

3 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I'm around.  Thanks Allie.

How are ya 40?

Howdy, Bubba.  Hadn't heard from nor about you since the Eisenhower administration (or shortly after that).  Your name came up in a discussion about people who make grips for cowboy guns and I thought I recalled you going that direction...and then smoking pipes?

Anyway, I just wondered how you were doing and what you are up to these days.

Hope you are happy and doing well....and staying well.

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Howdy, Bubba.  Hadn't heard from nor about you since the Eisenhower administration (or shortly after that).  Your name came up in a discussion about people who make grips for cowboy guns and I thought I recalled you going that direction...and then smoking pipes?

Anyway, I just wondered how you were doing and what you are up to these days.

Hope you are happy and doing well....and staying well.

I was making smoking pipes and pistol grips, but (there's always one of those), a genetic family trait kicked in.  I have an essential tremor in my hands and now I can't do the fine work required for that type of sculpture. 

Hope you're well.

Doc

2 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I was making smoking pipes and pistol grips, but (there's always one of those), a genetic family trait kicked in.  I have an essential tremor in my hands and now I can't do the fine work required for that type of sculpture. 

Hope you're well.

Doc

Sorry to hear that about your tremor.  Does that also prevent you from shooting?  I hope not, but if so, what are you doing to keep yourself occupied?

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sorry to hear that about your tremor.  Does that also prevent you from shooting?  I hope not, but if so, what are you doing to keep yourself occupied?

It definitely causes problems.  I'm on a beta blocker to help, but it makes me very susceptible to heat exhaustion, so I'm waiting for it to cool down.  In the meantime, I'm relearning how to play bass.

46 minutes ago, bgavin said:

4 or 5 string?

4 string.  I like the idea of a 5, the low b string increases options for voicing.  However, it's really been a couple of decades since I played much, so I need to get my chops back and relearn how to apply theory.  I'm making good progress.  I might get a 5 at some point, but right now I'm thinking more of an electric stand-up. 

Excellent!
Welcome back to the Dark Side.

My all time favorite player was a MIM-P that I hotrodded with a DP146 Will Power middle.
I bought it from an eBay seller who won it in a raffle.
I accumulated a J, J-fretless, a standard P, and a G&L custom.. and found they never got played.
I sold them all off for lack of use.  There is a lesson here for me having too many guns, as well.

Switched over to a Stingray SR5HH to force myself to play/learn 5-strings.
For some reason, I get (still) totally lost on 5-strings, and cannot "see" every note as I can with a 4-string.
Cancer and dementia parents came along.. have not played a note in 5 years.
Sux.
I'd like to find another band, but am thinking about going solo with pre-recorded tracks on a laptop.

Kudos for picking it up again.
The clock is ticking.

3 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It definitely causes problems.  I'm on a beta blocker to help, but it makes me very susceptible to heat exhaustion, so I'm waiting for it to cool down.  In the meantime, I'm relearning how to play bass.

Bass?  Is that the horn, the big stringed instrument, or the fish?  My grandson played an electric bass for awhile, but gave it up when he graduated from high school.. He was good at it, too.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Bass?  Is that the horn, the big stringed instrument, or the fish?  My grandson played an electric bass for awhile, but gave it up when he graduated from high school.. He was good at it, too.

Electric bass guitar.  I have played upright in the past in jazz and bluegrass groups, but that's probably been over 30 years ago now. 

bgavin, I have a G&L El Toro I bought new in 1983 which was upgraded with active Seymour Duncan pickups.  Sounds great.  I recently bought a MIM J-bass, added a Badass 2 bridge, and LaBella black tapewounds.  That combo just sounds fantastic.  The G&L has a P-bass style width at the nut.  I'm finding I much prefer the J-bass size.  I would like to get a small jazz combo going at some point.  My daughter is learning to play drums, so maybe with her when she's ready.  We'll need keys or a guitar player.

I learned on MIM-P width of 1.625" at the nut.. never quite adjusted to J of 1.500".
Had a Fender RBV for a while, but that was 1.875" at the nut... wide enough for hot-rod fenders.. and I have small hands.
The Stingray5 is a good P-width for me.  Fender5 are too wide.

My mother started me at age 5 with a top-notch classical piano instructor in Boise.
I stayed with it until age 13 when the Beatles came out.. then no more Rachmaninoff for me.
The bummer part:  Mom was going to put me in with the hot jazz teacher the following year... but I never got my jazz piano instruction.

I jumped into lead guitar lessons with a head full of Beatlemania and played with a local kid's band until my parents split up and we moved to CA.
We landed in San Francisco in August of 1967.. took a hippie house for 4 years, where I played with a Marin county band.
The memorable moment was a Winterland thing with Clover, who was the future Huey Lewis and The News, but just another hair-head harp player at that time.

I went legit a couple years later, and didn't touch anything except 5-string banjo until I turned age 50.
My ex-wife made me play my banjo out of the house, and in my truck.
I still have the banjo.

I attended an open mic night and found out they needed bass players. 
I came every week and got picked up by the house blues band.. just because I showed up regularly, and on time.
I left the blues band because I got tired of their endless booze and smoke degenerating into just a noise festival.
After that I played keys, synths and part time electric bass with a cover band, until Mom's dementia put an end to that.
Five years have gone by.. not played a note.

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Electric bass guitar.  I have played upright in the past in jazz and bluegrass groups, but that's probably been over 30 years ago now. 

bgavin, I have a G&L El Toro I bought new in 1983 which was upgraded with active Seymour Duncan pickups.  Sounds great.  I recently bought a MIM J-bass, added a Badass 2 bridge, and LaBella black tapewounds.  That combo just sounds fantastic.  The G&L has a P-bass style width at the nut.  I'm finding I much prefer the J-bass size.  I would like to get a small jazz combo going at some point.  My daughter is learning to play drums, so maybe with her when she's ready.  We'll need keys or a guitar player.

Sounds like you have your sounds together. (That sounded better in my head.)  I used to play sax, first alto and the tenor, and finally both.  Gave those up when  went in the Army and never picked them up again.

You take care of yourself and your family, and stay in touch.

I don't have enough friends that I can afford to let any get away.

Kudos on the sax.
I tried it as a sophomore in H.S. which split my lip something fierce, and I walked away from that forever.
I played in a blues band with a hot sax and flute man.

He was the only guy I've ever seen that could play 100% hammered, and still perform well.
The rest of the band got every bit as hammered, but sucked when fully lit up.

1 minute ago, Doc Shapiro said:

40, you bet. 

bgavin, once we get out of this Covid mess, we'll have to sit down with an adult beverage and chat music.  That would be fun.  Still got some keys and interested in playing again?

With your governor that won't be before Nov 4th.

Absolutely.
I'm in Orangevale.
Shoot trap at SVSC every Tuesday from 8 to 9+, then practice a bit of revolver work at the main range after that, heat and smoke permitting.

I have a Hammond XK2 in a flight case in the garage these last 5 years.
Hopefully the foam interior hasn't picked up a bunch of condensation and ruined the instrument...

We are playing the waiting game... #4, her hubby and 4-year old are living here until she finishes nursing school, her B.S.N. then gets employed and moves out.
She is a licensed phlebotomist and already working as a grunt nurse, so her resume will be 100% when she is fully degreed.

I don't have enough room to change my mind in this very small house until we are back to just the 2 of us again.
The earliest this will happen is August of 2021.

32 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

With your governor that won't be before Nov 4th.

True.

bgavin, we can do something at my place.  A keyboard and amp don't take up that much space.  How's your sight reading for chord charts?  Note that I do have a 9-5 type job during the week.

Archived