SASS Wire Forum

747 Fire Drop

Subdeacon Joe

Yes, it's a FB post. Yes, I did a very quick YouTube search for it and didn't find it.  

Henry-1’s aircrew had a front row seat this evening of Tanker 944 doing some awesome work south of Lake Sonoma. For any aviation nerds (such as the Flight Officer writing this post) Tanker 944 is a Boeing 747-400 BCF and is the world’s largest firefighting aircraft. We are very fortunate to have their help here in Sonoma County!

117946282_4122118354525301_4246797038232850163_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=f2c4d5&_nc_ohc=gWJ_bGmcksQAX_2qAf9&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=5cfd7647f6ccfb156c1d334304ba5a86&oe=5F67E408

13 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Yowza!

That’s an instant half mile swath of retardant. 

Something like 16,000 gallons.   Compare to 1,600 gallons on the S2.  I think it's flying out of Travis.   Hour round trip,  half an hour to fill up. 

There are 4 S2s out of Santa Rosa.   Faster turn around time and can get in closer,  but less capacity. 

Flying something that big, carrying that kind of tonnage, and flying that LOW, brought my heart right up between my collar bones!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I know just enough about flying to get myself in trouble, so I can't offer intellectual comment on his performance ... other than to admit I felt like screaming "PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP!!!" at my computer screen!

Couple of things caught my eye - first, the pronounced angle of attack as that thing mushed along had me thinking of the crew praying "Lord, don't let an engine go south now!"

The other was the wing flex.  At times the wingtips appear to be higher than the fuselage....   :huh:  

I know someone who was called to help fly firefighting missions in Cali.  I don't know what he is flying but I know he's there to help. 

Prayers up for all those effected by the fires as well as those assisting in the effort to contain them.

I just heard something big in the air.   Checked the Flight Radar site.  DC10 inbound and an MD87 outbound.   2 S2s loitering over the fire, 2 OV10s over it. Sheriff's helicopter and a CalFire helicopter 

Sure hope they have an accurate radar altimeter when they fly through all that smoke!  I sure hope those guys have a good laxative because that has to be an ultra-high pucker factor mission!  Bless them and keep them safe!

Stay well, Pards!

Some good news - the Walbridge Fire is now at 5% containment (hey, beats 0%) and some evac orders have been downgraded to warnings:

Advisory: Walbridge Fire evacuation update for the Dry Creek and Forestville areas.

Dear Joe Lovell,

The following areas are downgraded from Evacuation Order to Evacuation Warning:

Map Grid 2F1 downgraded to Warning
East of Dutcher Creek Road and the Dry Creek (the actual creek)
North of Canyon Road
West of Hwy 101

Map Grid 2F2 downgraded to Warning
South of Canyon Road
East of the Dry Creek (the actual creek)
North of Lytton Springs Road
West of Geyserville Avenue

Map Grid 2F3 downgraded to Warning
South of Lytton Springs Road
East of the Dry Creek (the actual creek)
North of Westside Road
West of the Healdsburg city limits.

Map Grid 2K1 downgraded to Warning
All areas North and East of Westside Rd.
West of Hwy. 101
West of the Russian River

Map Grid 2K2 downgraded to Warning
All areas west of Hwy. 101
East of the Russian River to the Windsor Town limits
North of where Windsor River Rd. dead ends extending west to the Russian River.

Map Grid 4A1 downgraded to Warning 
All areas East of the Russian River
North of River Rd.
West of Trenton Healdsburg Rd. and Eastside Rd.
South of the area between the western dead end of Windsor River Rd. and the Russian River

Map Grid 4C1 downgraded to Warning
North of Guerneville Road
East of Covey Road and Hwy 116
West of Laguna Rd
South of River Road

This means you can now return home at your own risk.  These areas are still at risk from the Walbridge Fire. We recommend you stay home for the day once you arrive.  There’s going to be a lot of traffic in the area so please drive safely; our priority is getting everyone home safely. 

All other areas under evacuation order are still closed.  We will send an alert for each area as it re-opens. Continue to follow the instructions of first responders in the area. 

The public is reminded to stay vigilant on current fire conditions. Please continue to adhere to road closures and any evacuation warnings. A reminder to drive slowly and yield to emergency personnel in the area.

You can call 2-1-1 if you have any questions.  Also, take a look at the interactive evacuation map at https://arcg.is/0buuL1 and search by address to see the status of your zone.

Archived