SASS Wire Forum

Flip Phone help needed

6 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Like music formats phones have planned obsolescence. Otherwise everyone would be using the same phone for 30 years.I've been using an Iphone since they came out. For me it being a phone is the least reason I use it. E Mails, Text, mobile hot spot so I can watch my smart TV when camping, The internet allows me to access info that in the past was unavailable. Blue tooth lets me listen to the music I like when I want. The map apps tell me when and what I need to do what when going somewhere I haven't been. Weather updates, news and social media are now the thing. 

When I'm reloading I can check load info on my phone to be sure what I'm loading is OK.

For you that's great. But I only use it for a phone. Which is why I started this thread. 

UPDATE!!!

The other night I happened to remember that this is a COMPANY phone I've got. So I told my boss that I wanted a new one, since I hadn't gotten an upgrade through the company in about ten years. They didn't have a flip phone available, but the phone I've got coming isn't a smart phone either. But I HAVE a replacement coming. 

Thanks for all the help and advice. Keep 'em coming though, This is an interesting thread. 

Sonim XP5s Ultra Rugged 16GB At&t Unlocked (Black on Gray) [XP5800 ...

6 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

For you that's great. But I only use it for a phone. Which is why I started this thread. 

UPDATE!!!

The other night I happened to remember that this is a COMPANY phone I've got. So I told my boss that I wanted a new one, since I hadn't gotten an upgrade through the company in about ten years. They didn't have a flip phone available, but the phone I've got coming isn't a smart phone either. But I HAVE a replacement coming. 

Thanks for all the help and advice. Keep 'em coming though, This is an interesting thread. 

That was on my short list when I got my last phone, but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere.  I wound up with a unihertz titan, which is a smart phone.  If I'm not mistaken, even though that's not a smart phone I think it can be used as a hotspot for data.  Unless I was looking at t a different model of sonim. 

Just switched from at&t to verizon.  Verizon could not use my at&t flip phone.  It was 3G.  They did not use the old sim card in the new flip phone I got, either.

My new flip phone is 4G. 

I presumed they could not use the old at&t phone, and sim card, because that technology is not being supported anymore.

I did not want a smart phone, since I want my cell phone bill to be under 49 bucks a month. I did not want to pay hundreds of inflated dollars, for the latest high tech gadget....and I don't care to carry around a larger, hand-held computer. It's bad enough having to carry one at all...and to be tracked every time I go to the can.   

I get ragged all the time, by my wife, kid, grandkid, acquaintances, the bum in the bar-ditch, about still having a flip phone/non-smart-a__ phone.

I told someone the other day, if they did not like it, then talk to my .50-90 Shiloh Sharps. 

M.A.G.A.!!!

W.K.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

UPDATE!!!

This thing showed up a work today. It is nearly as large as the picture makes it look As tall as a smart phone, nearly as wide, but about 3 to 4 times as thick! I told my boss that I would need a trailer to tote that thing around. I've got guns smaller that it is!. The kicker is that the SIM card is a new type, and my old one won't work in it. If I were to activate the thing it would disable my current phone, which I like because it's SMALL!

The good news is that a duplicate of my current phone arrived the other day and IT works just like my old phone, so my dilemma is solved. 

On 8/22/2020 at 12:36 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Same here. I do text, but the painstaking process keeps them short.

use the microphone to dictate your text - but check before you send to insure the words are yours , 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:04 PM, watab kid said:

use the microphone to dictate your text - but check before you send to insure the words are yours , 

What we have here is a failure to communicate. My flip phone, believe it or not, does not take dictation.

Flip phone: a decade or so old. A portable telephone that will accept phone calls and painstaking texts. There is a little camera with a little screen. A flip phone is not a smart phone with a hinge. It is not a smart phone, period.

IF you want a flip phone style AND a smart phone the new Samsung Galaxy Z  is both.

As for me, I am sticking with old dumb flip phones. My Samsung Convoy will be dead at the end of the year BUT I am going to get a new Kyocera Dura Extreme (I'm with Verizon). Like my old one military tough, waterproof, no GPS and can get it with no camera to reduce issues in restricted areas.

Archived