SASS Wire Forum

French Army Has Stellar Idea

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

That's a very old design.  FT McHenry, where the battle of Baltimore was fought in the War of 1812, which inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner, looks exactly like that.

I could say the Romans invented the design but they would have been copying the Carthaginians who likely copied the Egyptians who copied .....

14 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Some years ago, the French built a similar fort out in the boon docks of French Indochina.  Called "Dien Bien Phoo" (sp).  Didn't work out too well.

Yea, but the problem was, it was full of French.:P

5 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

That's a very old design.  FT McHenry, where the battle of Baltimore was fought in the War of 1812, which inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner, looks exactly like that.

Goes way back before that.  They were called "crusader fortresses".  Notice that every inch of the outside wall can be covered by defensive fire.

Of course, "defensive" doesn't win battles nor wars.

53 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

And weren't the French also in a hole with the high ground covered by gomers?

PF

That was Parrot's Beak, I believe.

General Giap thought he could do the same to the Marines at Khe San during 1968 Tiet.  Tiet & the Cambodian incursion made it pretty quiet in 3 Corps in 6/70 - 4/71.  Only a few mortar rounds landed inside the wire in Dau Tieng 7/70 - 12/70 & I don't recall any incoming at Long Binh or Tay Ninh 12-70 - 4/71

Archived