SASS Wire Forum

Just need to laugh! It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Warden Callaway

The first time I saw "Mad, .....World" I was sitting in a theater at Fort Bliss, TX.  I had my foot resting on the back of the seat in front of me, and when the couple in the pickup moving to California got run off the road.  After all the furniture was ejected  and the pickup came to a stop, the man said, "I told you we shouldn't move to California!"  At that point, I got to laughing so hard my foot slipped off the seat in front of me and I kicked a little kid in the back of the head.  Rubbing the back of his head, the little boy turned and gave me a dirty of look.  That boy's look sent me over the edge.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't even apologize.

I laughed so hard at this movie that the next day my stomach muscles ached.

A bit of trivia on the scene where the plane flies thru the billboard:

The guy who was hired to build the billboard had no idea they were going to fly an airplane through it. He built a top-notch sturdy billboard thinking it might lead to further business. Unfortunately it was so strong that the plane was heavily damaged and had to be totaled after the stunt.

The pilot who flew the plane through the billboard was Frank Tallman, who was to die in a plane crash years later.  He was partners, at one time, with Paul Mantz, the pilot of the Phoenix 1 in the film "Flight of the Phoenix".  Mantz died during filming when the plane broke up in flight.

Nowadays the plane would be CGI.

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The pilot who flew the plane through the billboard was Frank Tallman, who was to die in a plane crash years later.  He was partners, at one time, with Paul Mantz, the pilot of the Phoenix 1 in the film "Flight of the Phoenix".  Mantz died during filming when the plane broke up in flight.

When Jimmie Durante kicked the bucket, I knew I was going to like it.

Remember when it first came out. Laughed for days. Every time would think of some scene and would just lose it.

Archived