SASS Wire Forum

I Assume It Is So You Can Safely Carry It Cocked

Subdeacon Joe

Image may contain: shoes
Schuetzen Black Powder

So I say this yesterday, and I am wondering what is this? I know, but where the arrow is pointing. (And yes I know this is a flntlock) I have never seen this before.

Rather crude compared to this one.

Detached Tower Flintlock

Detached Tower Flintlock

An original detached Tower Flintlock - The lockplate is engraved WR crown and TOWER dated 1833. It also has the broad arrow and crown mark and additional markings on the inside of the lock. This lock is unusual in that it was made at The Tower when Thomas Manton was employed. This lock was intended to replace the lock which was used in the Brown Bess, the unusual features are - sliding safety catch and internal frizzen which was operated from the short arm of the mainspring. This style was never built into service weapons as by 1833 the percussion system was fully established. This lock is in excellent, unused condition with only minor storage marks aquired over the past 200 or so years.

It is called a DogLock

The English Lock, which appeared c. 1630, used a mechanism with characteristics of both older Snaphaunce and the True Flintlock, which was already being developed in France and Holland.

The English Lock frizzen and pan cover were combined in a single L-shaped unit but various sear mechanisms which were tried proved to be unreliable. The older Snaphaunce could be rendered “safe” by swinging the frizzen away from the pan whose priming was contained by a separate, sliding pan cover. The English Lock had an integral frizzen and pan cover which was prone to accidental discharge if the sear became worn or faulty. To offset this mechanical deficiency the external catch or “Dog” was attached to the lockplate, close to the cock, in such a way that it could secure the cock, most positive, when set at “half-cock”.

Towards the end of the 17th century the True Flintlock superseded the English Lock and the improved sear obviated the need for the dog nevertheless for another 20 to 30 years this extra safety feature was retained, until about 1720, especially on military muskets.

When the much refined “Brown Bess” was officially adopted as the English Governments “regulation arm” c.1720, thousands of these older doglock guns still existed in serviceable condition. Some were used by the English Navy-notoriously parsimonious in matters of its supplies - great numbers were shipped to North American Colonies for military, general purposes, and trade use. Undoubtedly their rugged construction ensured their survival well into the second half of the 18th Century.

These muskets, predating the “Brown Bess”, were plain sturdy guns with simple, almost crude, features: Locks were large, unbridled, and flat faced, held to the stock with three screws, incorporating heavy spring and reinforced, ring-necked cocks and the pivoting dog catch. They were normally fully stocked (sometimes cut back a little at the muzzle) of ash, walnut, or other hardwood. There is no carving on the thick wrists and butts. Barrels might be either full round or octagon round (called squared), of varying lengths up to 46" in .75 caliber. The tang screw was fitted from below. Furniture was very plain brass or iron. Flat butt plate simply nailed on. The flat side plate was typically of “serpent” form. Trigger Guards were either sheet metal or cast, with single nail or screw at the rear with barrel tang screw head supporting the front finial. Ramrod pipes were folded sheet metal with no entry pipe.

These distinctive features are truly represented in the models offered.

References: “Weapons of the American Revolution” (G. Neumann)
“North-West Gun” (Hanson)
“British Military Firearms” (Blackmore)

Doglock Musket - This Thomas Matson doglock musket clocks in at ...

They have several for sale here. The Rifle Shoppe Inc

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Archived