SASS Wire Forum

Miroku action job 1873

Irish Pat

I'm planning to do my own. Other than a spring change, the rest looks easy.

In this thread, the owner bent his stock spring. There are a few options now to buy a spring so the original can be kept:

No idea what happened to Marvintm (Marvin the Martian), he posted this one thread and then poof gone.

But I am serious about doing my own slicking. Other than some minor need of polishing and smoothing, this rifle rocks out of the box. Except for one thing... The lever safety spring is too strong. Changing that spring will make the rifle faster than I am, so the question then is how fast are you?

There was a kit to short stroke the Miroku but it apparently had some problems and is "no longer available." But compared to an Uberti, the Miroku is already half-stroked. The lever throw is short enough that the Miroku is not legal for NCOWS.

So all that said, what are your impressions of this rifle and what do you want done to it?

27 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

No idea what happened to Marvintm (Marvin the Martian), he posted this one thread and then poof gone.

Sadly, we believe the Venusians got him...   :(

PLUS ONE too Marauder  :)

To the best of my now limited knowledge, no one is making a "Short Stroke Kit" for the Miroku '73.  The best bang for the buck is good action job.  There isn't much smoothing to be done to a Miroku and there is someone out there in the ether making a Lever Safety Spring.  I just don't remember whom.  Reducing the lever side springs and reducing the Main Spring can really improve the "User Friendliness"

FORGOT:  Before you attack the springs, insure you have a replacement set "on hand."

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

+2

Anything I can't do myself, goes to Boomstick........

1 hour ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Cowboy Carty. His was the smoothest rifle I’ve ever felt! 

https://www.facebook.com/Western-Gun-Works-1678033062499004

I had one of the first one's available. Out of the box it was slicker than any of the Uberti 73s were, out of the Box. Parts were IMPOSSIBLE to obtain, so what work I did was approached very slowly because any part that I broke or took too far down could not be replaced due to the lack of spare parts. When it was done, the gun was indeed very smooth and nice. But when ask by folks if they should buy one for this game, my suggestion was NO. The Uberti guns have tons of both after market and standard replacement parts available. When they are tuned up right they are as slick as could be wished and if they do break you are not left out in the cold, every Quick Stop in the state sells parts.

Snakebite

2 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

were IMPOSSIBLE to obtain

Not my experience.   Sawmill Mary called the Browning warranty facility in Arnold, Missouri and got the parts in a couple of days. 

It wouldn't have needed parts if it hadn't been butchered by a slicker-upper that tried to short stroke it. 

5a37f0ab05c27_WinchesterlinkAug2017.jpg.73a2bcd34b5f9565dece02346d720d3d.jpg

26 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Well that is good. I'm glad that they got their parts supply in order. 

sb

Maybe we lucked out and they had all the parts we asked for.  I got a few spare screws and an two hammer springs. The "slicked up" one was butchered in a most unprofessional way.

I don't think there is a real need to have have a lot replacement parts for Winchester Miroku.  I think they are going to run a long time without any breakage.  Just don't screw them up. 

When Desert Scorpion stole my Codymatic - I replaced it with a Miroku 73.

I removed the lever safety spring (I know all the risks - my Cody gun didn't have one and I was used to it).

I trimmed down and polished the lever/ lifter springs.  

Adjusted the screws to my liking.

I hour glassed and polished the main spring.

Looked for any rough areas in metal to metal (found nothing significant) - lubed the gun up with white lithium grease and ran it.

The only other thing was

fixing the front sight (tiny) bead.

I haven't had any issues.

And while admittedly it's not as smooth as a quality gunsmith could make it - I have found that I'm not the definition of smooth either; so all I really require is a gun that operates properly without stutters or hangups.

These gorgeous, silicone coated ice sliding across glass, action jobs would be wasted on my ham handed rifle handling and lack of ability to take full use of them.

21 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

These gorgeous, silicone coated ice sliding across glass, action jobs would be wasted on my ham handed rifle handling and lack of ability to take full use of them.

My exact feelings. My Miroku isn't slowing me down a bit.

Archived