SASS Wire Forum

C&B revolver shooters

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Just a bit of a different thought on the subject here, what is your favorite leather  for those black powder hog legs?  Do you like them ornamental or do you want them to look like something a down and out Reb would be wearing around the streets of Texas after the end of CW.  My favorite rig is not really ornamental at all but do tend to be a bit gamey in appearance but I hope to make something a bit more traditional soon.  Here is a link to what I have now, a rig that looks somewhat traditional but definitelyly more modern in design.     https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/prospector-model-1865/

Home-made plain leather brown belt, but good quality holsters by Kirkpatrick, Mernickle, or J.J.Longley.
My Kirkpatrick & Mernickles aare rather plain, while the Longleys are his carved "3:10 to Yuma" holsters.

Functional & nice-looking, but not flashy 

When I started, I wanted "authentic", cuz I came from a muzzleloader re-enacting background. 

Now I want high quality leather that makes it easier to draw & re-holster the guns

--Dawg 

I have each of these holsters, and switch between my simple leather belt.

k.jpg

long.jpg

m.jpg

Here is a pair of Slim Jims  I made for my '51 Navies. They were dyed with walnut hulls.

Lucky

walnut die rig.jpg

I've got a pair of plain jane slim jim holsters on a plain black belt with a US buckle.  There is minimalist enhancement along the edges of the holsters.  I've been thinking about getting a new(ish) belt with cartridge loops in case I need a reload for the rifle.

FWIW I use either a pair of '51 Navies with 7.5" barrels or '60 Armies with 8" barrels.

Tangent:  Is the plural of "Colt's 1860 Army"  "Armys" or "Armies"?  "Armys" just looks wrong and "Armies" would be more than one, but doesn't look right when talking about pistols.  Certainly not "Army's" as that would be possessive, or a contraction of "Army is".

Easier:  "I've got a pair of Sam Colt's 1860s".

Angus 

One of my BP rigs for a pair of 1851 "Sheriff" models.

Holsters are "form-fit" Slim Jim style on a belt I made from a piece of harness leather with a Texas star spoon buckle:

Pietta .44 1851 Sheriff #2.jpg

51 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Tangent:  Is the plural of "Colt's 1860 Army"  "Armys" or "Armies"?  "Armys" just looks wrong and "Armies" would be more than one, but doesn't look right when talking about pistols.  Certainly not "Army's" as that would be possessive, or a contraction of "Army is".

Easier:  "I've got a pair of Sam Colt's 1860s".

Angus 

Ouch, that makes my head hurt. Have you been talking to Alpo? :D

Beautiful, all beautiful to my eye just like the guns they were made to hold.  A couple of weeks ago while searching through some of my old stuff up in the attic I found several sets of old commercial patterns for the cap and ball guns that I liked, guess that is why I did not let them go!  One old pattern set, from Tandy(??), has a bit of a different shape at the top.  Though promoted as original in style, I think they might perhaps exhibit a little more cut away than I have seen on originals.  If I can get the old scanner to work and also figure how to get a photo or two on here I will try to do a picture.  One of my plans is to also get a new set of full size '60s and one more '51 to go with my existing one.  Right before I stopped shooting I had surrounded myself with sever pairs of Sheriffs Models but these truly are lacking the beauty of the full length guns.  Sometimes when we get all involved in chasing the gold, we forget the purpose.  

I like the plain slim Jim’s for my holsters. The Rogers Spencer has a special holster that is also a slim Jim style. I like them firm so it is easy to remove and return during a stage. Shot military style for awhile but folding over the tops was a real pain. DC

Custom made by Mernickle for my 5" Navies (fits my 5" RM conversions too). Kind of a Slim Jim twist on his "high performance" series. I requested his artistic license on the aesthetic. Turned out great!

IMG_4127.thumb.jpg.82acd7d15274decf1e61fbcfe5d40d45.jpg

IMG_4130.thumb.jpg.484a5cd9b170da0f06e4fe8ab008bfc0.jpg

I got super-cheap plain Slim Jims for my 1851 and 1860.  I like to wear them as double cross draw with a simple belt.  Single cross draw doesn't look too bad in a town sheriff get up either.

Lawman 2.jpg

lawman 1.jpg

Lots of good looking leather guys, sometimes less can be more with the old time hog legs.  I have not seen anyone using a true Missouri Skin Tight in a spell but those were real plain Jane holsters but, kinda like a rattle snake, one  just new they spelled danger when you saw them!!!  Pale Wolfes holsters look pretty close with the very tight fit.  It was said that the old time Rebel raiders of the CW era would wrap their guns very tight in a good and wet piece of leather and then nail them to a log for drying out in the sun???  Supposedly iffen the gun had a single scratch on it, it would show up on the finished holster!  Diamond Jake, that holster looks very similar to a pair that I once had and I think they were supposedly copied from a pair of holsters that Wild Bill used?

Dang cough has kept me penned up today but iffen I feel up to stirring around tomorrow I will see if I can find an inspiration for a pattern tomorrow.  I usually much prefer a lined holster but right now I am struggling with the idea of doing so on a holster that I want to keep a bit period to the Frontiersman era.     

I have a pair of Kirkpatrick's "Graveyard" holsters for my 5.5" Ruger Old Armies, and a second pair for my 7.5" ROAs.  I bought only the Graveyard holsters because I have other gun belts that I like.  I wish I had purchased them 15 years sooner.  Kirkpatrick specifically fits them to ROAs.  Cool.  I love the look of a Colt open top in a Slim Jim holster, but I do not shoot them well, and no longer own any Colt open tops.   My Old Model Vaqueros carry very nicely in these as well, on the rare occasions I shoot cartridge revolvers.

1579178465_ScreenShot2020-08-22at11_47_35PM.png.ebb9e40634312786404fac3dbbc9687d.png

Archived