SASS Wire Forum

Things You Notice

Sawhorse Kid

I was watching the searchers tonight.

Until now, I had never notice John Wayne trying to keep a straight face when Patrick Wayne's character was getting scolded by Ward Bond.

Ward Bond and Patrick Wayne - The Searchers | John wayne movies ...

Yesterday, I was watching The Three Amigos.

Again, until now I had never noticed the bartender had a ponytail.

Three Amigos (2/12) Movie CLIP - What's Tequila? (1986) HD - YouTube

20 minutes ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

I was watching the searchers tonight.

Until now, I had never notice John Wayne trying to keep a straight face when Patrick Wayne's character was getting scolded by Ward Bond.

Ward Bond and Patrick Wayne - The Searchers | John wayne movies ...

Yesterday, I was watching The Three Amigos.

Again, until now I had never noticed the bartender had a ponytail.

Three Amigos (2/12) Movie CLIP - What's Tequila? (1986) HD - YouTube

Well at least it was not a man bun.

Totally way off and not Cowboy but I noticed something yesterday in season 3 episode 2 of “Absentia” in a hospital scene you here a background announcement the says “Doctor Blair, Doctor James Blair, please report to the emergency room.”

That is straight out of a song by Queensryche. Though I cannot remember the name of the song. 

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Totally way off and not Cowboy but I noticed something yesterday in season 3 episode 2 of “Absentia” in a hospital scene you here a background announcement the says “Doctor Blair, Doctor James Blair, please report to the emergency room.”

That is straight out of a song by Queensryche. Though I cannot remember the name of the song. 

I Remember Now

In most every western, someone pulls and cocks a sixgun, decides not to shoot and then lowers a hammer on a live round.  Duke Wayne, Roy Rogers and Audie Murphy were some of the repeat offenders.

2 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

In most every western, someone pulls and cocks a sixgun, decides not to shoot and then lowers a hammer on a live round.  Duke Wayne, Roy Rogers and Audie Murphy were some of the repeat offenders.

I've always noticed this in a bunch of Westerns, movies and TV. I think the problem is if they had done it right.. lower the hammer to the safety notch, pull back to half-cock, rotate the cylinder four clicks, pull to full cock and then de-cock again on the empty chamber.  The problem with doing this in a movie is it would be a distracting break in the continuity of the action, so they ignore it.  Only those of us familiar with Colt's SA style sixguns would notice this.  I do cringe when I see it, but I believe that is the reason. :blink:

Stay well, Pards!

3 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

My favorite was in a made for TV western movie the good guy threatens the bad guy with a coach gun.  When the bad guy doesn't cooperate the good guy cocks the hammers on the coach gun. As he was doing so the sound effect was the same as someone racking the slide on a pump gun.

I've always loved the choice of guns in the movies.  Like this one, instead of using a henry rifle, which would have been more period correct, they just pull the forstock off of a 92 and hope nobody notices...  seems I remember seeing one in color that had been painted yellow to make it look more like a henry.

Of course in modern films I love to see guns go from cocked to uncocked as the scene switches views...

04282012761.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

My all time gripe is that whenever anybody pulls ANY modern handgun, revolver, 1911, Glock,  or whatever, it has the four click sound of a SAA.

And it automatically clicks when they point it. :D

And most every helicopter makes the wop wop wop sound of a 2 blade Huey.

31 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I've always loved the choice of guns in the movies.  Like this one, instead of using a henry rifle, which would have been more period correct, they just pull the forstock off of a 92 and hope nobody notices...  seems I remember seeing one in color that had been painted yellow to make it look more like a henry.

Of course in modern films I love to see guns go from cocked to uncocked as the scene switches views...

04282012761.jpg

Which movie is that Barney? When was it made?

When did Uberti start making 1860 Henry copies using 44/40?

If that movie was made before that, they would have had to use a real Henry if they could find one. Real Henrys were chambered in 44 Henry rimfire. No blanks available. Take the forearm off of Winchester 92, paint the receiver yellow, and feed it 5 in 1 blanks.

Ever watch Old Yeller? Travis has a Kentucky rifle. Except that he doesn't. It's a trapdoor Springfield that has been tricked out to look like a Kentucky rifle. Much easier to reload the blank in a cartridge gun then it is in a cap and ball gun.

"The Alamo" (John Wayne version, 1960) was full of Trapdoors dressed up to be flintlocks.  Nobody knew; nobody cared.

flintlock true west magazine

flintlock true west magazine

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Which movie is that Barney? When was it made?

When did Uberti start making 1860 Henry copies using 44/40?

If that movie was made before that, they would have had to use a real Henry if they could find one. Real Henrys were chambered in 44 Henry rimfire. No blanks available. Take the forearm off of Winchester 92, paint the receiver yellow, and feed it 5 in 1 blanks.

Ever watch Old Yeller? Travis has a Kentucky rifle. Except that he doesn't. It's a trapdoor Springfield that has been tricked out to look like a Kentucky rifle. Much easier to reload the blank in a cartridge gun then it is in a cap and ball gun.

Looks like Wagon Train.  Pretty sure that's Frank McGrath in the background and maybe Rory Calhoun in the foreground?

Well heck...no wonder they lost at the Alamo...they were using rifles that could not shoot.

They could have been more authentic, as easy as they ended up being ridiculously unauthentic. 

Hollywood "historical" movies makes about as much sense as the following:

Someone asked why there were fifteen hundred Mexican soldiers, at the Alamo. A Texan answered..."they only had two cars." 

There is a story of a large contingent of Santa Anna's soldiers marching down a road. They spotted a Texas Ranger, on the crest of a hill, and about one hundred of them charged over the hill to fight him.  A while later only one came back, and he was wounded, and bloody. "What happened", asked the officer? "Mi Capitan", the private responded, "as it turns out, there were two of them!"   

Until I got into CAS, I didn't know there was such a thing as a Henry, much less different models of Winchester, so I never really cared as long as the story was decent. Not nearly as bad as 13-shot Colt revolvers and Sly Stalone firing 15 or 20-second bursts from an M-4 carbine. 

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Looks like Wagon Train.  Pretty sure that's Frank McGrath in the background and maybe Rory Calhoun in the foreground?

The guy holding the "Henry" is Robert Horton. His character was Flint McCullough.

48 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

The guy holding the "Henry" is Robert Horton. His character was Flint McCullough.

One of his first acting gigs. He was a chorus boy in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

3.-Screenshot-of-Marilyn-Monroe-from-Gentlemen-Prefer-Blondes.-A-young-Robert-Fuller-seen-top-right~2.jpg

I have learned to ignore Hollywood’s firearm faux pas. The only thing more annoying when watching a show or movie is some jasper sittin’’ around gassin’ about it while you’re trying to watch the movie. 

That’s why they invented popcorn and jujubes. Hard to blather on with your mouth full. 

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s why they invented popcorn and jujubes. Hard to blather on with your mouth full. 

............... but you REALLY wish they'd keep their mouths shut then too. ...... right?

I just watched Star Trek IV The Voyage Home and in the scene where Kirk, Bones and Gillian (the whale biologist) spring Chekov from the hospital there is a public address announcement asking for........

............ "Doctor Dover,  Doctor Ben Dover please call reception."

:rolleyes:

Archived